elliespad....questions on LTryptophan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Oct 10, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

On another thread you wrote:

L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP,,,, 10/09/06 03:47 PM

TwinMa-First, if you are using an SSRI, or MAO inhibitor, you do NOT want to use L-Tryptophan. I use a low dose Doxepin, with my Tryptophan, but that was researched and cleared by my doctor.

L-Tryptophan MUST be taken with B-6. I am unable to convert B-6 to the active form, so I must take P5P. Take a small dose, with your L-Tryptophan, a little before you want to go to sleep. I take 25 mg. P5P, with 1500 mg. L-Tryptophan. Generally, you take 500 mg. L-Tryptophan for every 50 lbs. of body weight. The math says I should take more, but the 1500 mg. works for me. It would be good to take a B-Complex, earlier in the day.

Take your Tryptophan AWAY from other protein sources, as the amino acids will compete for uptake in the brain. The B-6 is so conversion to Seratonin happens in the brain, not the intestines.

I recently added GABA to my regimen which I find helps even more.

Hope this is helpful for you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

This is TwinMa writing now. Thank you, elliespad, for the good information on L-tryptophan. I still have a couple of questions.

How did you know you could not convert B6 to its active form? Do you think that most people could just take L-Tryptophan with regular B6 instead of P5P? You said you take 25mg P5P. Would it be the same amount of regular B6?

Do you think most brands of L-Tryptophan are comparable? I'm looking at Source Naturals and Nutraceutical Sciences Institute. Also, do you think there is a difference between the capsules and tablets? Source Naturals sells both forms.

Do you take the GABA as well as the L-tryptophan? What does that do for you?

Thank you so much for your help. I know you are the "resident expert" on L-tryptophan, and I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Hi TwinMa, I don't have any experience or opinion on Source Naturals and Nutraceutical Sciences Institute's brand of L-Tryptophan. Brands I have used and would recommend are BIOS, Litdke, and Nokomis. The ONLY brand I would definately NOT use is Doctors BEST. It is CRAP in my book. It did not work like the others AND it made my brain too active, flakey, couldn't sleep. Just ordered CRAIG brand today, from AMERICAN NUTRITION. (First time)will let ya know if I like it. I would suggest trying one of the better known brands.

I had a LOT of extensive Mitochontrial/Amino Acid/Oxidative Stress testing done about 5 years ago, and that doctor was able to determine that I was not able to convert the reg B-6 to the active form (P5P). I would go ahead and try B-6 first, as it is easier to find. The only brand of P5P I have found in health food stores is Solgar. But, I have ordered different brand online. 25 mg is just a guide, I also use 50 mg.

I would say that you will notice a DRASTIC improvement in sleep the first night, IF this is going to help you. And IF, the product you choose, is pure and of a good quality.

The FFC doctor recommended I add REST & RESTORE. It is a combination of GABA, Valerian Root, PassionFlower,Camomile, Scullcap, L-Threonine, Melatonin, 5HTP. I take 1 or 2 at same time as my Tryptophan. If I run out, I take plain GABA.

If I have NO MONEY and can afford no supplements one month, the one I ABSOLUTELY, do NOT go without, is L-Tryptophan.

Remember to take it AWAY from protein.

Hope this helps you some. If it doesn't seem to work right away, give me a yell and I'll try to trouble shoot with you.

[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2006]
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My home computer has been having issues, and work has been too crazy.

Thanks for the tryptophan info. When I did a search for BIOS, Lidtke and Nokomis, I didn't recognize any of the sites. Have you had good experience with purchasing from any particular site?

Any ideas as to why very few health food stores carry tryptophan? I found one, but it was much more expensive than purchasing on-line. Plus, it was the Source Naturals brand, and since you had no experience with that brand, I didn't want to start off with something that may or may not work.

I'm not taking any SSRIs or MAO inhibitors, so that's not an issue.

When do you take your tryptophan? Do you take it right before bed, or do you need to take it earlier in the evening? Are you taking all 1500 mg at once?

Is taking a B-Complex earlier in the day not enough B6? If not, I will buy some B6 as well.

Thanks again for your help! I'm looking forward to seeing if L-tryptophan helps me as much as it has helped you.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

When I buy Tryptophan, or any supplement, I choose a brand I trust, then buy it where it's cheapest. For me, money talks.. Money's tight and I have to get the best price I can. I have ordered hundreds of consumer goods, supplements, computer parts, 2 cars, pet supplies, etc. from zillions of different websites. Never once had a problem. But there's always a first time for everything.

I would take your Tryptophan about an hour (or more) before you want to go to bed, and take it WITH your B6, but not with any protein. It does not MAKE me go to sleep, but LETS me sleep. If I took it but then wanted to stay up reading all night, I could. But if I go lay down, then close my eyes, I go right to sleep. So I wouldn't expect an obvious, drugged effect, where you have this overwhelming need to sleep right now. Just more a nudge in that direction.

The 1500 mg. I take, may be too much, or too little for you, but GENERALLY, 500 mg. per 50 lbs of body weight is what's recommended. You might want to take less the first time to see how it goes. I have given it to my friends' son, my daughter and one of my dogs. All slept better and no negative effects. It should help with sleep, depression, anxiety, mood and maybe a bit with pain. Nothing profound.

I just got my order today from a place I have never ordered from, called American Nutrition. First time ordering from them and no problem.

Hope it works well for you.
  5. deb20003

deb20003 New Member

Twinma,

In answer to your question about why it's hard to find the L-tryptophan, in about 1990, a contaminated batch of L-tryptophan was in the US and some people died and others were striken severely ill by it the had eosinophilia. It was pulled from the market and hasn't really come back to the level that it was.

That's a big concern with supplements, they aren't regulated very well and you need to make sure that the supplier that you are using is reliable.

dt

[ advertisement ]