Elliptical, Treadmill, Stairstepper, Bike or ????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowanMom, Aug 10, 2006.

1. IowanMom

IowanMom New Member

What exercise equipment works best for you?

I have FM and Lupus. And obviously there's always at least one part of my body that is aching. So I'm just wondering what has the best effect with the least about of pain.

My husband and I do try and ride our bicycles every day. The problem with that is it can't be raining, lightning, humid, or snowing. So we've been talking about getting a piece of fitness equipment that we could use during inclement weather.

We prefer something that works both arms and legs, but since my hands and arms pretty much always hurt- of course, I don't care if it works both or not.

Thanks for the feedback.

Note: We don't have thousands of dollars to spend on this equipment.

Thanks again!

~Amy~
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I can't do any of those things BUT I once knew a nurse who lived in Maryland. She and hubby were avid bicyclers. They liked to ride indoor bikes alot due to the weather. But she was well...so take that into account. I think that they had "thingys" that they put their bikes on inside instead of buying excercise bikes. Might go a search and see what comes up!

Hugs.

Spacee
  3. thelionrose

thelionrose New Member

the Ellipticals are very easy on the joints and move both upper and lower body. also the settings are not that strenous. Stairmaster is very violent on the body ( and this is from someone who used to love Stairmaster for the aerobic challenge it gave me everyday)The reclining bikes are also easier on the body. I have to say that I like gym quality equipment and is will cost thousands of dollars to get that.
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I just got a treadmill. I figured it would be the lowest impact on my body. I can't even sit on a bike, it hurts too bad. Even with an extra gel padded seat, so that is out for me. I think the tread mill is the best for me and I hope it will be the one way I can get in some much needed excercise.

Take Care!
    Kellyann
  5. painbuster

painbuster New Member

Hi Amy,
    I too have Fibro and Lupus. I often cycle, in the winter, I bring my bike indoors and put it on a "trainer" and it allows me to continue riding inside.( there about $200.00cnd)
    I've tried other exercise equipment but find my bike to be the leat painful of all.
    Good luck,

Beth
  6. SolitaryDancer

SolitaryDancer New Member

I have an elliptical trainer and that can be rough for me one some days.

I am just starting with Tai Chi. I think this may help and then allow me to do other forms of exercise.

Deb
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I walk for 30-45 minutes every day. I try to walk as fast as possible. I'm currently taking Calcium Pyruvate as well, 1000mg. I find that the pyruvate, along with the walks, is reducing the menopausal fat I was putting on.

Bikes and ellipticals put too much stress on my muscles. I'd like to get a treadmill for the winter, though.

The cost, or lack of, with walking is hard to beat. You just need a good pair of shoes!

Regards,

Eileen
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Amy.

For those of us who can do it, gentle exercises are the best. I bought a Pilates machine five years ago for about $250 on QVC and I love it. The only problem was that I got out of the habit of using it when I moved and need to get back into it. At my old house it was in a light, pleasant room on the lower level of my house and now it's down in the dark, gloomy basement so I'm not so eager to go there. More vitamin D, anyone?

Marta
  9. shelbo

shelbo New Member

You're weightless in water and so this would put no pressure on joints etc! :) HTH Shelbo
  10. jagr

jagr New Member

I love my treadmill I am on it everyday. You can do other simple stretches and light weights for you upper body. Walking even if you can't go fast is very good for overall health and weight loss.
  11. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

Personally, I prefer the elliptical..you get the most bang for your buck with as little discomfort as possible. I also would recommend a treadmill. The elliptical, as wonderful as it is can be painful until you get used to it. The treadmill has many speeds so you can ease into it better if you are new to "working out."
  12. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i vote for the eliptical, try one of the one that oses the arms also so you get your whole body going. there is absolutly no impact or jerky movements with the eliptical machines, they are a great aerobic workout.
    rachel
  13. hi there,
    im in the uk and i purchased a air walker.i use this every day.its in my kitchen (kitchen is large enough)
    i excersize with this air walker for 15 mins at 10am,then for 15 mins at 7pm.

the air walker did cost me £80.that was last year,so it might be more,or less expensive now.

its a device that you walk onto.it has two pedals where you place your feet,in a standing position.

it also has two poles at the front,one on each side,and you grab a hold of each pole.

then as you start to move your legs in a walking position,these two hand poles start to move forward and backwards in front of you.

when you first start using a air walker,you should only stay on it about 5 mins,and then each day try to slowly increase the amount of time you spend on it.

in the air walker instructions it says,their advice is... do not attempt to do more than 25-30 mins a day.if a new user, start at 5 mins a day,and slowly build up over time.

this air walker is a godsend to me.but i find that when im in a bad fibro flare,or my ME is severe (the head pain)then i have to NOT USE the air walker during that flare.it totally made me bed bound for 3 days when i did excersize during the flare up.

make sure you keep hold of the hand rails when getting on or off,i have balence problems and did fall off backwards the first time i used it.

kind regards
    fran
  14. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I don't get out to walk the park as much as I would like

to so I'm thinking of getting one of those Stationary

Bikes whereby I can get exercise and write letters too!

What do ya think??

MRDAD