Embarassing Question Bladdar Control

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PianoGirl, Sep 15, 2006.

1. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

I've noticed over the past several months that I am having more and more bladdar control problems. If I cough or sneeze I leak urine. I don't have an infection or any problems like that.

Does anyone else have this problem? Can it be Fibro related or not related at all and is another problem all together?

Thanks for any replies!!

Lis
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    If it doesn't go away, you might have it investigated. Howveer, I noticd that when I've been coughing for a while, I then begin to leak a little, and when I stop coughing, I'm O.K. again, intil the next time that I have a long bout of coughing. I think that the muscles get "tired" during periods of lots of coughing.

Hope you find an answer.
    Terry
  3. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Hi Piano,

I don't know but early menopause came to my mind. Sometimes those of us that are THERE, have issues regarding our bladders.

Perhaps having your hormones checked might be a good suggestion. At least a visit with your GYN doctor couldn't hurt. Hope that helps!

Yours, Lil
  4. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I have been having that problem along with other pelvic problems. My urologist diagnosed Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. I also have painful intercourse, feeling I don't fully empty my bladder, and ...sob...sometimes I wake up at nite and I am peeing my bed. Fibro screws up with our central nervous system and can affect some of us this way. I also have problems with bowels...my large intestine is paralyzed so I must take prescription medication every night to move food thru. I had to have surgery for this because I had developed a enterocel and rectocel (hernias) in intestine because of the pressure of food not moving thru. Hope this helps!
  5. I have heard that kegel exercises help this problem. I have heard gals mention this problem.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

It is very common and is called stress incontinence. I had my bladder tacked back up in 1992, but the leaking only stopped for 6 months and then came back again.

I refuse to have any more surgery done.

I just wear the Poise pads.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. irishgran

irishgran New Member

Hi Lis,

I just joined today and saw your question. I had the same problems you described plus it hurt to have sex and I had many bladder infections and had much pain. I was diagnosed with Interstial Cystitis. From what I understand it is showing up in more and more Fibro patients. I was treated for about 6 months and have been ok for 2 years but it could come back at any time.

Gentle hugs,
    Sharon

8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

You know, My Rhumie asked me if I had this.. There must be a relation to fibro..

Hugs!
  9. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Lis - I have had this problem for quite some time also, just as you described.

I have been told I am suffering also from menopause so I think I will ask my OB Doctor what I can do for this as well. It's so aggravating!

Love & Hugs
    carolin
  10. PianoGirl

PianoGirl New Member

Although I hate to hear that people are having the same problem I am, it's kind of a comfort to know that I'm not the only one if that makes any sense.

I have an appt with my rheumy next Friday, I will ask him what he thinks about the situation.

I know years ago, my mom had her bladdar sown up....if that's the correct way to put it, but I don't know if she was having problems like I am right now or not.

unfortunately I am at the pre-menopausal stage so who knows, could be from that as well.

I just get so confused, seems like every time i turn around there's another problem, or symptom that seems to relate to fibro, it just blows my mind that all this stuff can happen to our bodies.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Lis
  11. sues1

sues1 New Member

You can be all dressed up to go and start sneezing,,,,,,so wear protection.

Carry a extra pad in your purse in a sandwich size brown paper bag. Not only disquises that is in your bag, but can be used for diposal.

Also a diaper genie in your bathroom is helpful for pad disposal.

The excercises did not help me. I know of some that had problems after an operatio for same. I do not want to go through it.
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Medication can cause this this is why I stopped using the valium as it also increased relaxation of all the muscles!!!

Pelvic floor exercise done the new way where you hold each pull to a count of ten works quite well.

Love Anne
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I had this problem before cfs/fibro but it has become worse since the DD...I had a hysterectomy and my problems started after that..

Have had the bladder tack, and other treatments but nothing helped for any length of time..So now I just wear a pad and go...I was so looking forward to no more pads after my hysterectomy but now this...

The best protection pads I have found are Serenity Plus
    they work well for me...Don't leave home without one...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  14. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I was on a prescription drug for awhile but figured out taking Musinex DM worked better. It helps with the pain also.
  15. FM58

FM58 New Member

Lis,

This sounds like it might be stress inconetence. Bladder issues are not uncommon among those of us w/ fibro. However, many women (and men too) also have bladder control problems - stress inconetence, urge inconetence, overactive bladder - and do not have fibro. I know many people w/ bladder problems, some w/ fibro, some w/out.

You might want to see your gyno, or better yet see a urologist. A uro can do many tests to determine precisely what the problem is & then come up with the best course of treatment.

You may need to keep a "bladder diary". It consists of keeping track of how much liquid you take in, how much you void & when you are "leaking", what activity it, such as sneezing, lifting etc. Typically a bladder diary is done hourly for an entire twentyfour hour day. You will probably be asked to keep the diary for at least 3 days, not necessarily in a row. Your doc will provide you with one, or you can find one on-line.

How long has this been going on? How much urine are you leaking on a daily basis? Are you wearing any sort of pads - either mini-pads or bladder protection pads? A urologist will have you fill out a very extensive questionnaire, so be prepared for that one LOL!

Best of Luck Lis, I hope you can find a doc that will help you get relief from your bladder issues.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty