Embarrassed but true~

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bettydroop, Feb 2, 2006.

1. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Am I the only one in this world that takes 4 fricken hours out of most days to get ready i.e. Bathroom eh hummmm...(thanks opioid meds)
    Shower...
    dressed
    etc.

Shower alone takes me an HOUR soemtimes hour and a half!!!
    I am so slow moving and by the time I get done the water has been FREEEZZING for a while and I am so stiff I move so SLOOOWW cause I have to insert like a leg or something and then -take it out-- real quick~~~~Because the water is so cold.

Anyone else or am I just WEIRD????
    AHHH I remember the days when I could even get my face on and be all ready ~~~~ I do have hope~~~

ANYONE?
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

As far as bathing, I do that the night before. Also, set out clothes I want to wear, etc.

When doing make-up - I keep it simple - My make-up is in a small box and in the morning I just brush my teeth, wash face and put on the makeup. I use foundation, mascara, a little shadow and brow pencil. Its quick.

I don't think I could ever shower in the morning again.

3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hi bettydroop
    i bath the night before too and like your second poster (sorry forgot your name already) i put out my clothes.

i don't wear make up that often but sometimes i just smear on a small amount.
    because of the dogs ~ my own and the rescue work ~ i dont dress up, right now i'm in combat fatigues, an old t shirt and a sweater with hiking boots. my hair scraped back in a sloppy bun.
    i have gone out without brushing my hair plenty of times before now but i always look a mess so no one notices :)

i have bothered with the slap today though but not much.

you are not weird your perfectly normal ~ even the cold baths :)
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to wear make-up these days since

1) I have natural beauty;
    2) I am a male.

(But I frequently spend a lot of time looking for the car keys. On bad days I'm looking for the car.)
  5. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I know how you feel about the shower. First of all I have a bath/shower in one deal and honestly there are days that i cant lift my leg over the tub until I have been up a while and I am not so stiff.

I do have the luxury(no..rephrase)the inability to work right now so I am not in a rush. It is not unusual for me to stay in my robe til 10am and then shower.

And In the shower, I wash and condition my hair once (used to wash it twice) and forget the leg shaving unless i am feeling limber by then (thank god its winter)Body gets washed with a soapy loofah sponge
    The whole process takes me about 15 min. but its getting to THAT point that I have a prob with.

better days are coming :) Linds
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi Bettydroop...

No, thankfully, I'm not that bad, but I'm sorry it takes you so long.

How do you make it? It seems it takes you so long to get ready, that it would take all your strength; and you would need to go lay down again.

ROCKGOR- I loved your comment. Thanks for the smile.

Kendra
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I take forever to come round in the mornings, I'm not usually up before 11, 12.

I usually bathe the night before if I'm going anywhere the next day because I wouldnt be able to do it all, by the time I bathed and got dressed I would be too exhausted to go anywhere.

I remember when I was in my 20s, getting ready for a party in 18 minutes, showering, dressing, doing hair and make up. I was being timed by an impatient friend. Now I take hours.

love
    Rosie
  8. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

I just mentioned this the other day to a friend. Just to get ready in the morning more like noon it takes forever. I move in slow motion my arms hurt when I lift them. I actually have to convince myself to get in the shower. I hate knowing I will be cold. I love baths but only at night because they wipe out my energy. This is perfect for bed time just not the day time. Wearing makeup makes me feel better about myself so lately I have tried to fit that in. I didn't wear it most of last year inless I went out somewhere. So no you are not the only one.
    Have a good day.
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

getting dressed and daily showers are just too expensive for me. By that I mean if I shower I have zero energy to feed myself ect.

If I was able to devote 4 hrs to do anything I would consider that a major step UP.
  10. risinforce

risinforce New Member

No fair Rockgor - I want to go w/out make up but I have a strawberry birthmark above my left eye and if I don't cover it up it's like a beacon beeping at everyone. People actually ask me if I've been punched. Sometimes I tell them yes, that my boyfriend beat me up because I got out of line. LOL As if I would stand for that. He would be the one w/the red eye.

I have to shower etc daily as I work and would scare everyone if I didn't plus my hair is on end when I wake up. How I sleep and wake up with helecoptor hair every morning I don't know.

It takes me 2 plus hours each morning to get ready for work. That's w/my clothes already ironed and set out. I have easy hair and easy make up to do. Low maintenance in other words. Not one of those glamour gals. I'm naturally pretty good looking if I say so myself so I don't need too much but I do need some mascara as my eyelashes are blonde and that damn birthmark. The shower is torcher. Like knife blades hitting me, I flare up most days from the shower. Usually have to sit down under the heating blanket afterward and take meds. What is that?

It's a daily torcher for me but what am I going to do. Funny you posted this because I just complained about this last week to a friend w/FMS.

Hugs to all of those who suffer this trauma.
    Shawn
  11. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Rock- at least we get to sit down to pee!!! :)

And Risin force, why not tell people when they ask if you are bruised that you went for a jog.. :)

Smile!
    Z
  12. lin-z

lin-z New Member

LOL!!!! Sometimes I wish I COULD pee standing up esp. first thing in the a.m. There have been more than one occasion when my legs just wont lift me off that darn thing!!!!

Almost had to call for help but I havent gotten there yet!!Have to keep a lil pride..lost some but not all!!

best to you
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

Since I am retired, I can bathe any time that I want to -- late morning or evening. I used to have to take a shower at 4:30 a.m. when I worked!

I use a bath chair and sit on it and let the hot, steaming water run on my shoulders until I just have enough hot water left to wash my hair and finish the shower.

The minute I turn off the shower, I squirt Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil on my body, rub it in, then towel dry.

My energy is about gone by then, so I throw the towel over top of the toilet seat and sit down to gel my hair and comb it out, etc.

By the time I put rash cream on all of my chronic rashes (due to lupus), powder up, and get my underclothes on, it's time to sit down and rest again!

When rested and cooled off, I brush my teeth and then sit down again to put moisturizing cream on.

Then I go to my bedroom, turn the fan on high to cool off and help dry my hair while I rub a lot of moisturizing cream into my feet and put some footies on.

This whole process takes me about 1-1/2 hours due to all the sit-down, resting time!

Now if I am going somewhere, I have to add another 30 to 45 minutes to get dressed, put a couple curls in the top of my short hair and comb it, and about 5 minutes for makeup!

I do have to wear makeup when I go out because of the redness in my face due to lupus. But a quick brushing with the Jane Iredale makeup minerals (just like the Bare Essentials minerals), a little eyebrow pencil, eye shadow, and lipstick, and I'm done witht he makeup!! I am allergic to mascara so I don't wear it, and I don't like eyeliner because I am pale and it looks like I have racoon eyes (big black circles around my eyes)!!! LOL So, why not wear makeup when going out in public when it only takes 5 minutes, or less, to put on?!!!!!

When I was working, I had my getting-ready process down to a science and could get out of the house pretty quickly--that is until the last few years when my pain started getting to bad that I started slowing down tremendously!

Hugs,
    Janet

So ..... you are not weird, I always get afternoon doctor and dental appts, so I can spend all morning getting ready. It's so much easier when you have plenty of time to rest inbetween your steps!

14. jake123

jake123 New Member

I am still working a full day that starts at 7 am so I must get up at 5 am to shower and get out the door at 6. I eat breakfast at a little coffee shop where the same people eat morning after morning. I read the paper and collect my thoughts, drink iced tea and wake up.
    I have to be cool, calm and collected the rest of the day because I teach high school kids who are in trouble with the law.
  15. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

you got many good replies I hope was helpful. You also got some that made me laugh and it was superb! I really needed a laugh, I had a rough week, and there is nothing like a comment like Rockgor's to take care of that! We need more "rockgory" replies!
  16. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I was even temped to ask another question- now I know people have a sense of humor here...

UMMM Well as I stated before about the bathroom time, eh hemmm, I was gonna ask if anyone else stays soooo loonng on the toity that when you stand up the toity lid... goesss CLAAAANNNK! Crash. from sittin on the dang thing so long and it has been stuck to you!??! I am lucky my fam doesnt say anything, I KNOW they hear it,they have to, but who loves you like your family riigghhhtt??? LOL

Ok... I said it. Now am I weirrrdd?? Hope not. LOL