Embarrassed to admit, but alcohol makes me feel better

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Jun 16, 2008.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I know for most of us, alcohol tolerance is low. But I fear that I may be enjoying it a little too much.

It seems to relax me and take away the pain; and it doesn't take much. But, now I've gone from a few glasses of wine on Friday night, to craving a few drinks everynight.

Anyone else?

Sue in Ontario
  2. tlmelton

tlmelton New Member

Yes I too one who never drank her whole life started to enjoy red wine a few years ago.
    It became quite a habbit for me and luckily I have since cut back to once or twice a week.
    Alcoholism runs in my family and even though it feels good at the time I think anymore than a bottle a week is too much.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck Sue.
  3. ann31065

ann31065 New Member

If I drink anything, my choice is beer (Bud) I can't even get out of bed the next day. Just one or two lay me out. Oh how I miss it so!!
  4. kbak

kbak Member

For heaven sake you should not be embarrased at all! Back when I could have a glass of wine it actaully did more to relax my muscles than my soma. Now I have bad reflux and can't have any wine and boy do I miss it!

Take care,

CATHYRG New Member

i agree that we need to be careful with alcohol especialy the females, our livers are under the gun anyway because of the type of meds most of us take. I believe when you question yourself about drinkingt to much you probably are.

I enjoy a glass of wine or beer too but when we start thinking about how much we drink its probably to much for that individual or they would not be questioning it.
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Most nights if DH and I are not going to different meetingd, shoir practic, etc., etc. we have a glass or two of wine beofore or with dinner. That is my medication. I take meds to sleep but not much if anything during the day.

I made a decision , not much pain meds, if any. So I can have a couple glasses of wine.. Yes, I think it helps me some, relaxation if nothing else. On days we are drinving and going out we doing have any, unless it is at a dinner party or something.

Hugs to Sue and everyone else to,

LISALOO New Member

Just be careful, there's a deferance between I want one to i have to have one. I come from an alcoholic family. You can easily fall into using it to get away from the DD>
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for the input, everybody.

I am going to watch myself and keep it to one or two. If I can't, then I know I have a problem; and that is an excellent point about having to be extra careful with the meds and liver issues.

9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Just be careful !! Yes, it would probabaly be easy to overdue it. I don't do it every day and I can surely do without it without a problem.

10. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My mom has FM and also enjoys wine. She has a glass almost every night and sometimes more than one. She is not even close to an alcoholic.

There is no reason to be embarrassed that something helps you relax. As long as you drink in moderation and responsibly there should be no problem.
  11. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I have never really had alcohol during my entire adult life. A couple of years ago I had a glass of wine and it took the edge off the CFS body aches and gave me a boost of energy.

I have wine in my fridge now and have a couple of glasses around dinner time to help me get through dinner preparation and the fatigue and pain.

It has definitely helped me.

I was married to an alcoholic and by no means do I believe that I will ever head down that road.

12. poets

poets Member

Alcohol would make me feel better but when it wears off I always get a headache. There is also a history of alcoholism in my family. I can think of other things that would make me feel fine too, but, oh well. I'm afraid to do that because I don't want to end up in jail! Came close to that in 1976.

13. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

This is a strange subject for me. (I've had CFS for 30+ years.) In the early years I could drink occasionally with no problem. Then for years I was pretty alcohol intolerant - just a little sip would make me woozy. But now I'd have to say that sometimes it makes me feel better, and sometimes worse. I think that if I'm already in really bad shape, the alcohol just makes me worse. But if I'm feeling fairly good it can give me a lift. Understand that fairly good is a relative term!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  14. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've had two glasses of wine before and with dinner for the last 35 years, but once I've eaten I don't want to even finish my glass. For Europeans it's a way of life but here in the U.S. it seems to be looked at funny.

I know my limit, and find that it takes the edge off the pain and actually gives me energy. Beer however just makes me very sleepy. I've taken muscle relaxants before and I'm loopy with them so I don't take any pain killers.

What's the difference between using pain killers or drinking a little wine?
  15. tabby8

tabby8 New Member

Sunflower girl.
  16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I can not tolerate alcohol which for me is great as there are several alcoholics in my family.

I think the difference between alcohol consumtion and pain meds. is that your doctor may not know and we do not know how much we are consuming, is effecting our medications.

Since we are usually very sensitive to medications, I would think it would be even more importent to cut down on alcohol.

Alcohol is the most abused drug in this country.

Please, please I am not saying that you are an alcoholic. I just worry when people mix alcohol with any medications.

Drinking may be self medicating in the short run but can be disasterous in the long run.

I have two aunts who drank excessively and when they were treated for depression which was the real culprit, they were able to abstain from drinking.

Just my two cents worth. I think this is an important post.

Take care, GA
  17. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

gosh darn it, it does make me feel better! but I have cut back due to comments/concerns from DH. then again, a baby boomer, I grew up with cocktail hour, it was the norm.....I read the labels and they say may cause drowsiness, alcohol may increase that effect' and I am all for it because despite, the, what 9? meds I am on and grocery store tylenol-free blue sleep pills? I am still not sleeping worth a darn.
  18. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

ah, 1976.....I expect we are thinking of the same thing and while I do not do that anymore, we have a pharmacist friend who says it's actually the best thing we could do for fibro.
  19. poets

poets Member

It's a plain shame we can't have access to this. The narcotics that I've been prescribed for pain before messed me up far worse than anything I had in 1976!
  20. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

doesn't sound like a bad idea to me IF no "legal complications." :-( Probably not as hard on the liver as alcohol and less chance of interactions.

If I was gonna, which I'm NOT due to said legal issues, I would make sure to go with local organic.