Embarssing question about constapation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, May 15, 2006.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I take MSContin 100 mg & MSIR as needed for breakthru pain up to 4 times a day. But the morphine makes me constaated and I want to know what is the best stool softners are and if I need some thing stonger what is good that won't make me have horriable stomace cramps.

I usuall don't have to much problmes with it but some times that really make my stomcahe hurt and I will get nausous. And I don't know what to do about this. My doctor's PA asaid that I could take s stool softners and that would be fine to take all the time, But some times this don'e move like they should and I don't know what to take that would make me hurt worse.

Not to mentions it is embarassing to ask about this problem.
    Who do I ask about what to take and how much of it? MY doctors office staff don't know much about that kind of stuff or any thing about meds and the Pa and nurse are the only two that are there all the time,I am just so sick of feeling like I am not working right. MY tummy is reabelling and I don't know what to do to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can take with my meds."
    Signed {With aRED face}
    Rosemarie
  2. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I bought some psyllium husk capsules at Walgreens, works for me.
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

There is Colace which just softens then there is Peri Colace which stimulates the intestine, maybe you need the Peri Colace to give you a little boost..

you can get these generic, much cheaper than brand name.

M.
  4. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

but i was just reading about a natural doc that says to put your feet on a stepstool while you are going #2 supposed to help it come out better I tried it one day when i had real bad gas that was givin me cramps and it helped for that!!
  5. mariee

mariee Member

Hi there,
    I am so sorry you are having this problem. Not only is it umcomfortable, I don't think it is all that healthy.
    When I was on pain meds, my internist gave me a prescription for a stool softener which was stronger than the over the counter stuff. I used that w. psyllium. Everyday. I am sorry, but I can't remember the name. Maybe call your pharmicist. The OTC remedies did not work for me, and once I told the doc, he helped me.
    Hope this helps you. The script was a liquid, not a gel cap or tablet...and I had to use psyllium w. it and plenty of liquids...
    Mariee
  6. qnova226

qnova226 New Member

I have been dealing with constipation my whole life. I have gone as long as 34 days without having a bowel movement! In November of 2005, I started using Intestinal Formula #1 . You can buy it through www.dr-schulze.com I take it with dinner and EVERY morning I have a bowel movement. The site offers testimonials, but they seem a little over the top. I am being completely honest. This stuff really works. I feel like a normal person. It's amazing how much better a life I have , now that I have 1-2 bowel movements a day. I try to tell everyone about this web site. I have finally found something that works!!!!!! Honestly works!!! I did take it to my Dr. He said it was completely safe. Like I said it works , do yourself a favor. At least try it. I almost didn't order it, after yrs of trying stuff that never worked, I really didn't want to waste my money. It works the first time you use it!
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have found anything natural is better on my stomach.I drink alot of grape juice.Also Pomogranted is good.My husbands grand mother would drink warm water from the sink first thing each morning and she swore by it. I also have used colace but it would leave a terrible after taste.
  8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

every morning w/ water...and some if you can handle it...

i buy the brand at costco....

then my dr that did my colonoscopy thingy a couple months ago told me to take that and if i cgo on vacations take a stool softner....

not good to go like w/o a poo a day...it has helped me...not perfect but better...

if i don't take it in the morning i take it when i remember it..

he said if i don't get it straightened out it causes big problems in the future...like colon cancer...

plus my spincter muscle tone is not the best...

jodie
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

I suffer from it now and then

The stepstool trip helps

Also, try eating raisens

It worked for me
  10. Fibercon worked for me, two capsules twice a day.
  11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

When I started to take one particular medication about a year ago I began to have bad constipation also. I tried diet changes, stool softener and oral laxatives, all with failure or bad side effects.
    The diet changes were adding things like raisins, prunes, dried fruits and more fiber containing vegetables which helped but they caused me to have constant breakouts of cold sores (only found out later this was the cause).

The stool softeners required more than 2 per day to even work and then I noticed that my body would sweat more and my sweat would smell like the stool softener, it was very gross.

Oral Laxatives gave me terrible stomach aches and I couldn't control how long I would have diarrhea from them, sometimes it would last all day!!

The other problem with these methods were that they would take overnight or up to 24 hours for relief and sometimes I was so miserable I couldn't wait that long.

What I found was an option for almost instant relief, suppository laxatives. I don't use them often but when I need fast relief with no side effects they work great!!

Good luck finding some relief constipation can be so terrible and uncomfortable.

sincerely
    JL
  12. mdempsey

mdempsey New Member

You can take aloe vera juice for constipation. Plus it kind of works as a healing agent for the inside of the body, just like it works on the outside for a burn. Of course, I realize that this might not help everyone.
  13. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

Flax Oil pills and psyllium husks....