Emergency Room, should I go???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Nov 7, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

As some of you might have read, I'm having horrible weakness and fatigue that keeps getting worse. I'm in the midst of Adrenal testing, but it's taking forever!!

I crashed hard on Tues of this week, I've been laid out flat in bed. I'm so weak, I honestly feel that I should be hooked up to monitors and IVs...I think my blood pressure is way too low, but don't have a monitor at home to check it. I always have LBP even when I'm feeling stronger.

My sister thinks I need to go to the ER (she lives far from me and she's very worried). I called my Dr's office yesterday and made an appt for Monday...that's 3 days away which seems like an eternity. I called again this morning and couldn't get thru to the nurse cuz they were so busy. I was going to ask her what she recommends, or what the dr says. I'm still waiting for a call back.

At what point do I go to the ER? Would they even do anything for me? The thought of spending hrs in the ER is overwhelming, but I am worried about feeling so weak.

I've read posts from others who were basically harassed at the ER and not treated well. I just don't know what I should do, this is scary to say the least.
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

If it were me, I would go. As long as you do realize that you may be there for 4-5 hours. At least you will be laying down

The one thing they can do is to check to see if you are dehydrated and if so, they can give you saline IV's for that.

I know, I hate the ER too. I only go if I feel just awful.

Good luck and keep us posted
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I am having a time with my adrenals right now too. A couple of weeks ago was very bad but, like you, I had a dr. apt on Monday. So, I stayed and bed and tried to stay as calm as possible.

All he did was order more tests and offer me cortef. But I need someone like an Endo to help me there, so now I am waiting to see one in January.

I hate feeling this way but I am beginning to realize that I can wait.

About the only way I (personally) would go to an ER is by ambulance cause they put you right in a room. That helps me gauge on whether or not I really go to the ER or not. The time I did go by ambulance, I was admitted.

Just sharing some of my experience. Only you can really tell if you need to go to the ER. I would just hate to see you be even more stressed....

Praying for you!

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to wait a couple more hrs and see if Dr's office calls. I dread the thought of waiting for hrs like you said Spacee, that's the biggest deterent.

I just went downstairs to get something to drink and now I'm back in bed. I'm here alone until kids come home from school and hubby from work. I barely can go up and down the stairs to get to the kitchen, then I can't force myself to eat much of anything. I have lots of water to drink, but I'm sure I need more than that to get stronger.

I just feel so horrible, it's no fun not having anyone to take care of me at all during the day. I just keep hoping that resting a lot will help...that's about all I can do right now.

xxxooo Hermit
  5. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Sorry to hear that you are still feeling so weak. I don't have anything to add to the above posts but wanted to let you know that I'm saying a prayer for you.

I'm sure it will be a little better when your family comes home, that will give you peace of mind.

Hang in there.

Hugs, Kristina
  6. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

..you feel so bad that you can barely move, I would call an ambulance. Not sure if you read my recent posts, I've been in ER many times in the last few months. Crashing blood pressure, muscle weakness, loss of control etc.

As mentioned in other posts finally diagnosed with secondary adrenal insuffciency. I know exactly what you mean about three days feeling like forever. Before diagnosis and starting treatment on hydrocortisone, I was feeling like every minute was taking forever, and i needed something done NOW, so urgently. It's because the body is anxious from the low blood pressure, weakness, etc. And adrenal problems in general cause anxiety.

I hated ER every time I went, but when i lost control of my body just getting up to get a drink in the kitchen, theres no way i was going to just sit home feeling like that. As mentioned above, you should definitely go in an ambulance, as going on your own in the front door, you will just have to sit around UPRIGHT for hours while you wait your turn, and in this sort of condition, that can only make things alot worse (for me anyway). Going in an ambulance, you go straight through to the back, and get put on a bed where you lay down to wait. I just take my earplugs, put them in and try to relax while waiting to be seen.

It's worth going if you're that weak, just to get the routine blood tests etc, and make sure your electrolytes aren't out of balance, as that can be bad. You should drink sea salt in water all day too if you've got low BP with the weakness. If you have any licorice root, or someone can get you some (pure licorice root powder from a health shop), it's worth trying a teaspoon or 2 in hot water, with some sea salt, and see if you improve. If it's adrenals and you havent tried this before, you could feel better in a few hours, or at least a couple of days.

Hope you feel better soon. ~Chris.
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'm holding on at about the same level as yesterday. I slept 20 hrs from yesterday to this morning!

Chris, I have been following your posts...I was actually hoping to hear from you when I posted this question. I'm not as bad as you've been, but it's the worst I've ever felt. I'm just kind of stuck here, hubby not home and 2 kids to be responsible for. Thank goodness they're old enough to feed themselves and not getting into too much trouble while I rest. I can't really call for an ambulance and leave them at home alone for several hrs at this point. Nobody around to watch them or help me out either.

I may just drag myself down to the neighborhood health food store and get some licorice powder. I'll see if they have it in capsules tho, I can't handle mixing up and swallowing mixtures like you suggested...strong gag reflex, barf.

I do have salt supplement tablets tho, they contain sodium (452mg) and potassium chloride...label says to take 5-10 a day w lots of water for chronic fatigue. I've been taking about 5/day.

I've read that ginseng is good too, so I might get some of that aso. I just have to try to gather enough strength to get ready and go down to get some. I haven't showered in 3 days, GROSS, been afraid I'd pass out! I can't believe how weak I am...there has got to be something seriously malfunctioning in my body somewhere! I just hope my doc figures it out QUICKLY!!

My cortisol levels from bloodwork showed that it was too high at 8am and in the "normal" range at 4pm. My doc didn't seem to believe in saliva testing, most MDs don't, from what I've read. Monday at 4:30 I will be at his office with another list of questions and concerns, hopefully I'll be ok until then.

Special K, thanks for your support...I need every bit I can find! This is just a nightmare!

If anyone has any other ideas for me to survive the next 48+hrs, please let me know. You guys are my only link to support and info. My husb just doesn't know what to do, and he's hardly ever home because of his job (thank goodness he supports us financially, I sure couldn't work these days:(...grrr!!)

Love to you all.....Hermit

8. spacee

spacee Member

Praying for you that you will know what to do. It is a terrible predicament. I'm glad you heard from Wolverine.

Just wanted to let you know I was checking on you.

9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thanks for checking on me. I'm still alive, hoping for some strength to return, but it hasn't happened yet.

Forced myself to eat some turkey, cheese and crackers just now. I'm also taking a salt tab every couple of hrs and drinking Gatorade and water to keep hydrated. Nothing seems to help tho.

A friend of mine is coming by soon w some licorice tea she has. She wants to take me to our big Clark's nutrition center tomorrow...I told her I may need to go in a wheelchair! Our neighborhood health food store was closed today, so I never went down there.:(

Hope all's well w you...as well as it can be anyway! H
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2008]
  10. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

glad to be of help if I can, as I know this scenario all too well. Of course I have been very severe, more than most unfortunately, but am slowly trying to work it all out.

Eleuthro (siberian ginseng) can help if you aren't sensitive to it. In fact there are a bunch of adaptogens that can really help. If you arent a very allergic person and can tolerate herbs, there are quite a few which you can get in combination formulas to help the adrenals and energy in general.

Heres one for example:

Jarrows adrenal optimizer

I love iherb, ive made quite a few orders from them lately, as they are cheap and have very fast delivery.

The licorice tea from your friend, make sure its pure root and not just black tea with a little licorice in it, or it wont work. Tea is a weak form unless you make it strong with alot of root, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Tinctures are the strongest form, they are dark liquids and strong tasting. The powder is fine for me, its a little bitter, but sweet aswell so it's not bad. Ive had much worse things! i've hardend myself up to 'disgusting remedies'. I used to gag on certain things, but now i can cop just about anything ive tried. Just get ready and take it down hard and fast, then hold my midsection still till the 'ick' goes away. Its usually only 10-30 seconds.

The salt tablets should help the blood pressure. Though usually you want salt alone not potassium for adrenals. But if your adrenal levels are OK the potassium wont hurt. Good that your cortisol levels are ok. I dont know if you can see an Endo to get an ACTH stim test done, but i would if you can.

Check out this article, I think it's excellent. This guy had CFS and adrenal fatigue, and is a personal trainer. Mind you he looks amazing for having had CFS and adrenal probs! The list of supplements he has come up with there really are the top supps for adrenal fatigue, he's really done his research. Scroll down the list is about 1/2 way down the page.

Maybe you could try an adrenal glandular aswell to start with if you get to that health store.

Hope things improve..

11. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

You're a doll, thank you for the added info. I feel a connection with you since you have also been thru the same horrors of this dd. Are you feeling any better since your hospital stay? I was so sad when I read your post that said they discharged you even tho you were so ill. Just ridiculous, I don't understand why sick people are treated so poorly sometimes.

I tried the Lic Tea, it was pure glyccerhized lic root...GAG ME!! I forced some down Sat night, and felt so close to vomiting that I couldn't drink anymore. Yesterday I finally made it to the health food store. My friend actually came and drove me there, and also helped me find a few things to start taking. She knows her vitamins and herbs, and is into holistic type cures. She was such a big help, I couldn't have made it on my own.

So, here's my list of supplements I bought....

Licorice root (glycyrrhiza glabra)...capsules 425mg, 3 capsules is 1.35 gr and considered one
    serving. Says to take 3, 3x day.

Panax Ginseng (standardized extract in softgels)...100mg ginseng extract, 7mg Ginsenosides
    each capsule. Says to take 1-3x a day.

L-Theanine...100mg. My doc recommended this to help body deal w stress and to help with
    clearer thinking. He said to take it in the morn w my coffee, caffeine
    combined w Theanine helps w brain function.

B Complex...Lots of good stuff in this one.

I also got a really good Herbal Reference book and "Adrenal Fatigue, The 21st Century Stress Syndrome". I started filling in a questionnaire in the AF book and so far it told me I'm SEVERE due to my symptoms. It looks like a great book, I can't wait to read it cover to cover. I'll be taking it plus lots of other info to the DR this afternoon, he wants me to bring in any info that I want to discuss. Love my doctor. I just wish the testing waiting game wouldn't take so long!

I've been taking these for the last week:

Grapeseed extract 200 mg, Fibro Multi, CoQ10 100mg, D3 3000 mg, Fibro Malic Magnesium.

So, Chris, my kindly advisor, what do you think? How much of the licorice and ginseng should I take? I've spent hrs and hrs on the internet, taking notes, trying to learn all I can. But it really helps so much to have people like you to give me more advice. Nobody knows how this feels unless they've lived it. Unfortunately, AF is the main topic of my life (and yours) right now:(

Well, time to drag myself downstairs to get something for breakfast so I can start downing my pills for the morning. My kittenmen are once again flying thru the room and bouncing off the furniture, they want their brkfst too. Silly kitties are the best medicine of all!!!

Thanks and Love to you.....Hermit

12. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

No probs Hermit, glad to help. Good to hear you got down there and got the supps, and that is excellent news that you got Adrenal Fatigue by dr Wilson! I should've mentioned that before as i'm currently re-reading it myself :) Coudln't get a better book on the subject. He discusses all of these herbal treatments in the book too.

Im better than when i left hospital, but still up and down most days. Being on hydrocortisone is a rollercoaster at the moment. I must say i had a rather pleasant evening last nite, and was able to cook some food and relax, not feeling to bad for the eve. Im finding lately that im feeling better at night for a larger window, my days are still very fatigued and foggy. Im determined though and working on everything I can, I believe i'll get alot better in the hopefully near future.

As for doses, I'd just follow what the bottles say for now, that is a decent dose of each of the herbals. If you get headaches or anything, cut one of them out for a few days, start with licorice alone, then add ginseng back in. If no side effects, just take them as stated. You can go up to 10grams of licorice root a day for a short time, but should generally keep it to what feels best, 3-6 is usually good. Therefore if the reccommended dose isn't doing enough, you could try adding an extra 6 caps a day, totalling a bit over 6 grams. However, when i first started out, I only needed a very small amount, it can work very well at first, but the dose usually needs to increase after a couple of weeks. I think i used less than one gram in the beggining and saw immediate results.

Personally i can't tolerate much ginseng, it gives me headaches. Thats just my sensitivities though, if you don't get bad effects it should help. Panax is a little more stimulating than siberian ginseng. Both are used for adrenal fatigue and work slightly differently. It takes a while for it to work and has a cumulative effect.

Theanine is a great relaxer indeed. And of course, B complex is one of the main things used by our bodies to convert food to energy, so that's very worth it. If you can tolerate it, up to 100mg complex with break and lunch.

The other things your taking are good too, specially the magnesium/malic, Q10 and D3. I too am taking grape seed, but i don't really feel anything from it, i just know its a good antioxidant.

Another thing, and in my personal experience, vitamin C in high doses is the single best thing i take, no matter what. If i miss it for a few days, my whole body is more sore, stiff, and generally more 'sick all over'. I take at least 6 grams a day in powder form with bioflavinoids, and it makes a tremendous difference, as it is involved in the healing and production of all bodily tissues, immune system and detoxification. I think everyone with CFS or any health problem should take at least 4-6 grams of C a day.

Hehe cats are awesome indeed ;) Animals can be a bit demanding though, specially when we're really unwell!

Let us know how you go with the supps. Take care.

~C.[This Message was Edited on 11/10/2008]
  13. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Just had my third trip to the ER in less than a year. Went into adrenal crisis Friday night and had to go to the ER. This time I had an injectable of SoluCortef that my husband gave me but was still not enough to prevent the ER trip. It kept me from getting to the life threatening point that I was at the two previous times and also kept me from having to be admitted as I had been the previous two times. They kept me in the ER for several hrs on an IV giving me more SoluCortef and something for the nausea.

I think you are where I was before finally being diagnosed and being put on cortisone. I was so weak very rarely got out of bed. With a true adrenal crisis you get severe nausea, body temperature plumments and I become freezing cold, shaking uncontrollably and if not treated quickly my blood pressure crashes and heart rate goes through the roof. All very scary and it is life threatening. The first time I waited too long to get to the ER and was told I almost made a fatal mistake.

You will feel so much better once you get on cortisone but it is still a rollercoaster of a ride trying to get adjusted and dosing figured out. I have enough energy to do some things around the house and short trips to the store etc. but what put me in crisis this time was I had went on a shopping trip to the mall and several other stores as I'm trying to change out my bedroom and bathroom colors as my comforter and such are worn out. The flourescent lighting in the stores puts me down pretty bad plus all the walking and the oversensitivity to the crowds and noises and basically I just overdid it and paid the price. I probably didn't stress dose as well as I should have. I'm also under too much stress from never ending marriage problems that have definitely contributed to the crashes this past year.

Will I ever work again, no, I have pretty well accepted that as hard as it is and have been fighting for my SSD for almost three years now. I'm at the ferderal level now. I'm just proud that I can do some things that I could not before.

Hang in there, it will get better, will you be as good as new, I hope so but even if you don't get to that point you will get to where you can enjoy your life again.

14. libbyann

libbyann New Member

Hi hermitiady,
    Just read your post, hope you are feeling better.
    Lots of Luck

To deb_46
    Keep fighting for that SSD, I was at the federal level, filed in 2003, just got my back pay this week.

God bless and don't give up.

15. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Wow Deb you've had it bad aswell! Sounds like all the times I went to ER, but mine weren't quite crisis.. as i had some minor adrenal function left at the time. Never the less, I waited each time until i was literally freezing cold to the core, shaking uncontrollably, and unable to use my muscles almost completely, definitely not able to stand up. If a true crisis is worse than that, I can't imagine feeling much worse.

Now that i'm on hydrocortisone, i've had windows of feeling better, but as you mention it's taking forever to get it right. Ive been on it 5 weeks, and am still in bed almost all day every day, and very weak and shaky in the legs. How long was it for you before you started feeling any level of normal again? (as much is possible anyway).

What type of cortisone do you take, what dose daily and how often?

So sorry to hear about your crisis, but it's really good at least that you got the 100mg injection in there before it got life threatening. Did you not take enough extra cort before the shopping trip? This is one thing that's really getting to me, is how much extra to take when feeling bad or before doing something. Today I had a minor crash, all those crisis symptoms started after my midday dose (of only 5mg, i split it up almost 5mg every 2hrs). Dont know why it happened, but i started to get very weak, shaky, cold inside (on a hot day), and very weak rapid palpitations. Also had diarrhea 3 times in that hour. I took another 5mg 3 times plus one 2.5mg in one hour to stop it happening, which it did slow things down after about 1-1.5 hours. I almost was ready to call an ambulance, but I just held off hoping the cort would kick in and it did. Even still, I was very drained after this for the rest of the day, and was taking another 2.5mg per hour for the next few hours. These episodes cause such anxiety it's horrible. I've been considering trying prednisolone as my HC wears off way too quick and I end up taking too much alot of days. I dont know if it's a good idea, but im not doing so well still anyway. i thought 5 weeks of HC would definitely be enough to get me feeling somewhat stable.

I truly hope I get to the point of enjoying life again too.. at the moment i'm literally just laying around struggling to make it through each day, hoping i don't have to go to hospital. Not much fun.

Good to hear you're doing better anyway Deb other than the crisis. If I can get back to being able to drive myself around, visit friends and go shopping, i'll be happy. I've read of people with full addisons disease who run marathons (recent event here in australia), and others who do martial arts, running, and weights. In my condition, that seems like an absolute dream to be able to do anything of the sort, but one can hope.

16. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

I've been reading these last few posts today after being in bed for the last 3 weeks....totally unable to get myself even showered alone. My poor husband. I have had CFS and fibro for over 30 years so have tried all types of therapies. This last episode has been different as it has lasted longer, I have been weaker than usual, more nausea with "vomiting" that is new to my symptoms. I also ended up in the hospital for "dehydration" for 2 days last weak but no better. I am staying hydrated with difficulty but no diff. tomorrow my husband is getting me to a psychopharmacologist. Does adrenal support sound the way to go? He uses herbs which I am so sensitive to but I am desperate as I am totally confined to bed like never before. Years ago did adrenal work but I could not sleep. Any thoughts?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2008]