EMG how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Trisa, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Trisa

Trisa New Member

I am having one done tomorrow on my left leg.
    I have had sciatica in that leg for 4 years and numbness
    and pain in both feet. I am scared as I read online that it is very painful! I was told I have Fibro but I have never heard anyone else say they have sciatica.
    Also once in while I will have a day with no numbness.
    If I had nerve damage wouldn't my feet always be numb?
  2. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Hi Trisa,

I had the test done last week and no needles were used on me. Just a wire around my big toe. Then the technician just placed an electrode on my leg in different places and I got a small shock. The shock was strong at times but it did not hurt. One leg took around 4-5 minutes.

I did have the needle when I had my arm done a few years ago. My experience was not bad then either. The doctor stuck the needle in the area where my thumb attaches to my hand and then used an electrode up and down my arm to shock it. Again, the shock was a shock and I did not feel real pain.

I hope this helps.... You will do fine with the test.

God Bless,
    Bob
  3. Trisa

Trisa New Member

4 years ago I did have herniated discs in my neck
    but was told by 2 docs that no way would that cause sciatica. Only if they they would have been in my back would they have caused it. I have burning and numbness n both feet. The doc told me if test tomorrow comes back that I do have damage then I will have to have an MRI of my brain. That huge needle you wrote about has me scared to death!
  4. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I think someone over exagerated about the needle being big. It's not that large at all it is just long so that they have a place to clip the wire onto. You may not even get the needle but if you do it's not that bad at all.

God Bless,
    Bob
  5. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I've had it done twice.At two different places.You know Docs they want tests done at their hosp. or clinics.Let me first say that I have a low pain tolerance and will put off a test if it sounds painful.I have nerve damage in legs and feet.So the first test was pretty painful with electrical shocks followed by a needle inserted up and down my legs,thighs and entire arms.It wasn't fun but not so bad that I didn't go through it again.This next one wasn't so painful with the needle,which I don't recall being large,but the shocks really hurt.You have to clench you muscle and that's the painful part of it.They stop a minute to let you relax if it gets to bad but the test didn't last all that long.It tells them alot.The Dr. knew exactly which disc was herniated.Don't be nervous depending on your injury yours might not hurt at all but even if it's uncomfortable at least you'll know.