EMG & MRI Results (more tests)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mary100, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing OK today.

Only one thing on my 3 MRIs- 3 bulging discs in my neck, but not pushing on anything. I can't lift anything that requires two hands. Gee, on flare days, that's a gallon of milk! My optic nerve is fine and no MS. All my strange symptoms are caused by, you guessed it, FMS.

My EMG (only right side) revealed carpal tunnel syndrome (no surprise - don't want surgery right now) and either Sural Neuropathy in the calf or Peripheral Neuropathy. This will be decided with more tests. I have 5 viles of blood drawn and and EMG of my left side next week. Follow up is Nov. 8.

I am overweight, but I really don't think i have diabetes. My reg dr has already tested me for that. Also, I wach my sugar and carbs and eat lots of whole grains. I am also on Topamax and am loosing weight because I am not hungry as much. I have to make myself eat sometimes. It seems I live on protein shakes and meal shakes and nuts and I eat a real meal (or part of it) with family in evening.

Any insight would be appreciated of those who have neuropathy.

Thanks,
    Mary
  2. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

3. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Is it okay to post diet information? I started to, and then I thought about it and wanted to make sure it was all right before I did it.

-bebe
  4. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

I don't think I remember reading anything about that. I will have to check on that. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Mary
  5. JerseySue

JerseySue New Member

Funny enough, I am going through the same now also. I had an EMG 2 yrs ago, and am having one on Thursday. I had an Mri of the brain last Wed, and VEP/BAER for evoked potentials Mon. I don't know the results yet. I guess I will find out Thursday when I go for the EMG.

The dr said he is ruling out MS and Peripheral Neuropathy. The only thing I noticed from the exam he did, was the reflexes in my ankles. They were absent in my right and decreased in the left. He kept hitting them with the hammer.
    I get alot of numbness in my feet, they burn, and I get the creepy crawlies on my legs and arms.
    Anyway, I will let you know how it turns out. Please keep us posted with how things turn out for you too. Good Luck.
    Gentle Hugs Sue
  6. Mary100

Mary100 New Member

I get those same foot/arm symptoms.
    I think my reflexes were OK, but I don't remeber them moving everytime he did something.

Oh well.

Good luck to you!
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I haven't had an MRI, but I've had EMG on right and left arms and back and neck xrays. I also have carpel tunnel. I have it in both arms, but the right is really severe. I've put off any surgery as well. I also have "bone spurs" in the c-3 and c-4 levels that protrude in to the spinal column. This has caused numbness, pain, etc. down mostly my right arm. The rest of my back looks ok. I've had problems with stumbling, etc. and I'm sure that I'll need to have an MRI before long. Although I feel that everything is either related to FMS or the medications that I'm on. I take Neurontin for the neuropathy and pain. It seems to help me quite a bit. My attitude and feeling is that if I can handle symptoms, I will do that rather than have any surgeries, etc. I'm currently 58 (will be 59 next week!), and have so many maladies that go along with just getting older. The ones that belong to the FMS and CFS, I just wish that they'd "butt out" of my life!"

Having a good and well balanced diet is one of the most important things for us on this Board. Eating fresh foods, whole grains, etc. is so important to get all the vitamins and minerals that we need to keep our bodies well nourished and healthy as well to help our bodies heal. I firmly believe in that. Sometimes I like to try to just dump all of the meds I'm on and see the difference. I never quite know if a new symptom is due to the meds that I take or the FMS/CFS. If I weren't on meds, I'd know.

Good luck with all your tests, etc. Stay in touch and keep us all informed.

Jeannette