EMG Test today,,..twitching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladybird1, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Had my EMG test today along with the nerve conduction? test.
    Found that the nerve conduction test seemed to bother me more than the EMG with the needles. Now I seem to still be twitching. Have had a headache ever since.
    I was told it looks like carpal tunnel syndrome in hand plus
    some compression of nerve in my neck. Will get more details
    when I have appointment next week.

Did anyone else who has had test twitch hours afterwards?
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm sorry you didn't get a response yet----I've had a lot of EMGs, but can't remember any twitching just afterward.

HOWEVER, it kind of makes sense, since they are stimulating nerves. I just had surgery for cubital tunnel syndrome (like carpal tunnel, but instead of being in the wrist, it's in the elbow---the "funny bone" nerve) and they moved the nerve to a new location (called ulnar nerve transposition surgery). For the first three/four days afterward, my fingers twitched terribly---it felt so weird! But that nerve was probably raw from the move & naturally wanted to twitch. It finally seems to have settled down.

The EMGs I had prior to surgery didn't do it to me, but the surgery did. But with FM, those of us with sensitive central nervous systems---and that's a big group of us---seem to twitch a lot anyway.

I think it's probably not uncommon to have this happen after an EMG, especiallty to an FMer....hopefully it's worn off by now...you could always call and ask your doctor if it's not gone yet.

Hope this helps, sorry you got little feedback on this one...

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Thanks for replying. I have settled down twitching now.
    Still have headache...but then again everything gives me a headache..fibro, sinusitis, co-workers,family, going to the grocery store, etc etc