EMLA cream for trigger points?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Sep 7, 2008.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

My Dr. just ordered EMLA cream to be applied to my painful trigger points.Its a mixture of lidocain and prilocain. the instructions that came with says to apply a thick amt of cream to the area and let set and dont massage. The whole purpose was to numb them up so I could massage them without feeling so much pain. Has anyone used it and did it help? Did you massage your trigge points after numbing them up? Thanks
  2. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I've never heard of the cream, but would love to hear how it works for you. I would think to massage trigger points would aggravate pain, rather than decrease it. Very curious.
  3. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

is what I use ....sounds like the same thing..... its numbs too.

just a 'band aide' for a while....
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I and my husband have used this before a surgery. Yes you apply a thick amount and then let it set for it to numb you, you can even cover it with some plastic wrap if you don't want to get it anywhere.

After it is numb, then you wipe it off, it should stay numb for awhile.

I don't see any reason why you could not rub or massage the area AFTER you wipe off the cream. Just make sure you get the cream off before the massage.
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

That sounds like an interesting concept. Massaging trigger points is generally quite painful.

(Note that we are talking trigger points here, not tender points, or general pain.)