Emotional Release

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

Klutzo had asked me about the experience of a friend who had Emotional Release therapy. I talked to my friend about it, and she was quite enthusiastic.

It sounds like a "laying on of the hands" type thing. In my friend's case, they focused on her upper back and shoulders, where she feels most of her FMS pain. She had a <b>huge</b> emotional reaction, becoming wildly upset--hysterical. At the same time she made repeated involuntary movements with her arms. The practitioner said she thought the movements were self-defensive, a throwback to some unremembered trauma from early in life--or from a past life--but they could also be interpreted as some sort of swimming stroke.

My friend said she has had some lasting benefit, both physical and mental, and feels every FMS patient should try it. I'll add here something else she said helps: She's been taking coral calcium for a month and reports a significant improvement in symptoms.

Suze
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

Klutzo had asked me about the experience of a friend who had Emotional Release therapy. I talked to my friend about it, and she was quite enthusiastic.

It sounds like a "laying on of the hands" type thing. In my friend's case, they focused on her upper back and shoulders, where she feels most of her FMS pain. She had a <b>huge</b> emotional reaction, becoming wildly upset--hysterical. At the same time she made repeated involuntary movements with her arms. The practitioner said she thought the movements were self-defensive, a throwback to some unremembered trauma from early in life--or from a past life--but they could also be interpreted as some sort of swimming stroke.

My friend said she has had some lasting benefit, both physical and mental, and feels every FMS patient should try it. I'll add here something else she said helps: She's been taking coral calcium for a month and reports a significant improvement in symptoms.

Suze
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Can you be more specific? So far, it just sounds like massage, or theraputic touch, or cranio-sacral therapy, all of which I've already done.
    What type of practitioner did the treatment? Don't they say things, or ask questions or something while doing the touching? My cranio-sacral therapist asked me detailed questions about the accident which caused all this mess and how I felt about it, while she was manipulating my head. I had no emotional reaction however. She told me to go home and do this detailed kind of questioning with myself about every unpleasant event in my life to help me release it. I tried, but calling up old wounds made me feel the pain all over, then did NOT release it. When my nervous system gets fired up, it gets stuck there!
    I'm still not understanding exactly what this procedure actually consists of...any enlightenment appreciated..
    Klutzo
  4. Suze

Suze New Member

Can you be more specific?

No. (LOL)

I wish I had taken your list of questions with me, Klutzo. But I'm gonna see her again next week and I promise to come back more enlightened.

Incidentally, I had EMDR to help me process a traumatic event--actually, one part of it--that kept coming back without warning and hitting me in the face. We did just one session--about two hours worth--and that's all that was needed. I was impressed.

Suze

5. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I had a similar experience while getting Myofascial Release. I just started crying hard for no reason -- wasn't thinking about anything particular. The PT told me it was an emotional release.

-Shoobie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

....to hearing what you find out next week, Suze. I wish I could get hysterical or cry when I recall old hurts, both physical and emotional, but I just get mad, real mad! It's not good for my blood pressure.
    Klutzo