emotional stress does cause one to have physical illness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MssDarla, Jul 8, 2006.

1. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

As far as some oppinions go about emotional stress causes one to have physical illness.

I do believe with all my heart that my Fm is caused by emotional stress.

Please let me explain;

Normally this isnt something I talk about:

Back in 1986 my 3 yr old daughter died from luekimia after a 2 yr battle and all the daily chemo.

Also in 1986 my 10 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Junv. Diabetes.

There was one time where as both my daughter were in the hospital while my mother was on another floor.

I just sat down and cried in the middle of the hospital.

my mother died in 1987 from cyst on the brain and about 3 yrs and living with me and my sister and she was bed ridden.

Also in 1987 my husband had an affair (she was married too)which led to her husband killing her and himself.

Needless to say I kicked my husband out.

But I then had to find away to support myself 2 children and go thru the greiving process.

Well I hit the bars. Got drunk and had fun (I thought) Met all the wrong men.

My daughter with the diabetes was not under controlled very well and there were many hospital trips.

1989: After many doctor visits for me. So tired and low blood pressure. just many issues.

I was also hospitalized for I could not pee. My bladder was over full. my kidneys and Bladder were shutting down.

Doctors said I had lost the will to live and I was shutting things down mentally. There was no medical reasons for it.

1990: I tried suicide, well it didn't work and cause me so much embarrassment. and added to my stress

1990: I was diagnosed with Chronic fatique syndrome

Well my point to this is stress does cause illness in my oppinion.

I now have Fibromyalia and have never been in any car accident or anything along that lines.

By the way this was a long story cut short

2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

You had a very difficult story to tell, and I respect that. Stress certainly can be felt physically. We FMSers are careful, though to make a distinction. Because your post appeared on a CFS/FMS board I would like to make a distinction.

Constant stress does tighten muscles, bind them down causng myofascial pain syndrome (MPS)often is diagnosed as fibromyalgia and many of us with fibro also have MPS.

I worked extensely as a patient with physical therapists and they found the presentations of pure fibro and pure MPS different in their patients. They made no claims as to what causes what. Just observation of presentation. FMS appears to be more systemic. MPS, while having the ability to trigger pain in another part of the body is not systemic.

STRESS makes EVERYTHING worse.

Our world is a very stressful place. Not everyone has fibromyalgia. Something else is present....what?????

One of my friends watched from her window as a school bus ran over her little girl crushing her head. THAT's stress. It's been over 20 years and she has neither MPS or FMS.

By the way, I had worked with the PTs for over five years, and I use the word "with" because they felt this way saying they learned a lot from working on me. One day, one of the brought me another patient's script (name covered) from the doctor, DX: MPS !! They were thrilled, it was the first time a MPS patient did not walk through the doors with a DX of fibromyalgia.

I hope you can work through your stressful factors and your physical pain. Thank you for allowing me to post what I worried might be construed as a statement "stress caues fibromyalgia."

You did NOT say that in your post, I realize that.

Fondly, June
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Just a quick note to say that I saw your post (I am barely sitting upright due to some house work this am)...

You can see my profile in where I go through ALL the things (well MOST) that led me to where I am today...Much trauma, illness and emotional...

My belief is that there are MANY 'triggers' for fms and cf, some we even bring about ourselves unfortunately...ie. I ended up in the hospital bleeding internally because I couldn't control my grieving over my 'son'...

I am sorry for everything you had to endure and I am sorry you were left with these dd's to remind you everyday of the past...For some of us, the mental aspect is the hardest to live with...Many family members have told me to "Get over it" and "Get on with your life"...I have since disconnected from my family (not by choice, but necessity, to keep what's left of my sanity)...

My Mother always said that the man upstairs will never give me more than I can handle...I tend not to agree...But I don't wish this to get religious...Just wanted to let you know I read your post and I am sorry about all you have had to endure and that I understand where you are coming from...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  4. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

Thank you for responding,

I am very sure we all have a story to tell. Cant live a life and have nothing happen in it, can we

Thank you for your understanding.

I guess my point was, many things cause different things and none of us really know.

I tried so hard to find out what causes a 13 month old baby to get cancer.

Was it something she ate or did I do something wrong?

Then finally I just know it happened and I will never know why and I just accept it now.

While everyone under a great deal of stress doesn't get sick. A great deal do.

Just like why would a car accident cause FM later in life?
    but it can.

So now I don't examine why as much and how to live with it.

Many people always said to me as well...that the man upstairs will never give me more than I can handle

lol I always hated that saying, But I think it was lack of anything better to say.

anyways, I was only trying to point out FM can come from many things and no one knows enough about it at this point I feel.

Just like I can't feel your pain and you can't mine but its there. For whatever reasons.

Thanks all

5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thank you for sharing your story and I pray for better times ahead for you.

Stress absolutely is a trigger for fibromyalgia, why some people have enormous stress and don't get it, is something research will have to figure out.

When I got diagnosed, my doctor (who has know me for 20+) through many emotional and physical trials told me that after many years of stress the body just can't take it anymore.

Take Care of Yourself,
    Sue in Ontario
  6. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

Intunejune,

I am sorry but wanted to make sure I was clear, unless I misunderstand your posting,

I have fibromyalgia and arthritis. Took me years to get diagnoised lol please don't reverse that lol

I also wanted to add:

I am remarried now and my life is good. My daughter is now 30 and her and her son live with us untill she gets on her feet.

She is doing great healthwise

However I will do some research on myofascial pain syndrome
    and if it fits I will ask my Rd about it

Thank you
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

"Took me years to get diagnoised lol please don't reverse that lol"

Oh gosh no, I was not taking that away from you!!!

Just pointing out what a BIG mystery this "THING" is!

Glad to hear you are in a better place now, though!

Love and peace to you, fondly, June

8. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

you guys are so loving and kind

Thank you