EMOTIONALLY LABILE BUT NOT DEPRESSED ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tanu, Jun 2, 2006.

1. tanu

tanu New Member

Hi recently i feel i cannot handle stress anymore.Litle misunderstandings with friends have caused me to cry at the drop of a hat,have palpitations and not sleep at nightand keep repeating the conversation in my mind over and over again.This lasted for three days and nothing could console me.I know it was irrational and i was driving my family nuts.I completely recovered on the 4th day.Whew i thought i was suffering from depression.
    Has anyone had this.How do you handle stress?
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This is very typical I think. It is the edge stuff that makes us this way. I think you are right it is not depression but an uneasiness and doubt about life.

I think Yoga and meditation helps, even finding a good book and reading it. I listen to books on tape as it is hard to be perseverating on one's thoughts when trying to listen.

Love Anne C
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

If it's CFS you have, research have shown that CFS cause the same damage/ disruption in the same areas of the brain as in MS. Don't quote me on that, I can't recall where I read it. Irrational (or so it seems) feelings and/or behavior can be one sign of this.

I have always wondered where my problems came from and attrbuted it to my PTSD, but I am starting to wonder if many of those stem from this DD itself.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I think I'm both.

Marta
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

yes, I have been emotionally unstable at times, without depression.

At my SSDI hearing I cried thru the whole thing, it was terrible! I couldn't stop myself, even tho' what was happening wasn't bad enough to cry about..

I'm not depressed, no meds for it, but I think its just this illness, so I go with the flow when it happens...sometimes its best to just let it all out!

Hugs, dear thing you
    findmind
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

I disagree, I think you do have depression if you are crying about anything especially if you are not sleeping. I think you should call your doctor right away. Having depression is no big thing, people go through times in their life with this and now there are meds that help.
    I had terrible stress with my mom being ill for so long and going in the hospital, in and out, and I lived the closest to her so 80% of the care fell to me and I was having to struggle at school, taking days without pay to help my mother. She died July 28, 1998 and I had a very hard time with crying. Then I went back to school and I didn't know that I was just on the brink. One morning before classes started I began to cry and I cried for three weeks. I didn't go to school for Sept. thru Nov.
    I did go back Dec. 1 but I was on several meds and I still go to my wonderful psychiatrist every now and then.
  7. ardnave

ardnave New Member

I have episodes like that too, kind of like I'm in a 'tilt' state and all my emotions go screaming down one end of the spectrum however much I try and stop them, and I just can't put the issue down, like having a realy 'sticky' mind, and then 'poof!' it can be gone.

The main way I've come to deal with it is avoidance, learning what things set me off and trying my best to steer well clear of them.

I think I've also developed an early warning system and can tell when I'm starting to lose it and bale out fast, it has taken years though.

Like you I'm pretty sure that it's not depression and I find it can manifest as any strong negative emotion but mostly anger, frustration, hurt, and misery.

Ii also have a kind of 'not taking myself seriously' mode as well, aknowledging that I've lost the plot and that my reasoning is way off and thus avoiding stoking the emotional fires with more imbalanced twaddle.

Lastly and by no means least I don't give myself a hard time about it, or I try not to anyway. Its realy easy to be very self-judgemental about it which can set of another spiral of painful nonsense.

Hope some of that helps tanu

peace to ya
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I think that we are highly sensitive at times, especially when we are extremely tired and have been exposed to over-stimulation. I had an experience last year when I went to a conference with several women friends. It was a long drive, filled with stops and activity. The conference lasted 3 days and it was filled with talks and presentations morning, noon and night.

One evening after a particularly full day all the women came back to the hotel and gathered in the room that I was sharing with two friends. Everyone was talking and laughing and having a great time. I was so overly-stimulated and extremely exhausted and in pain. I couldn't find a way to get out of this situation. So, there I was in the middle of a very uncomfortable situation.

The conversation was headed in a direction that made me feel uncomfortable and I spoke up and asked if we could please change the subject. This was not well received and one of the women confronted me and things got very weird. It was very late and everyone decided it was time to go to bed.

After they left, I got very emotional and started to cry...I mean I was sobbing and couldn't stop. I don't feel that I was depressed. I was just really fatigued and my defenses were down and my feelings were hurt.

I will not ever put myself in that type of situation again. I just am not strong enough for all that kind of interaction and socializing and debating.

I don't know if this helps you, but I just wanted you to know that, yes, some of us are more sensitive than we used to be.

Lolalee