ENADA and CoQ10

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simple, Aug 27, 2003.

1. simple

simple New Member

Hi,
    I've been taking ENADA (5mg daily) for about 6 months now. I also took CoQ10 (30mg 4x daily) when I started on ENADA but stopped because CoQ10 seemed to upset my stomach. I've been reading many positive things on the board here about CoQ10 and I'm considering trying it again. From my limited knowlwedge, I think ENADA and CoQ10 do the same thing so no need to take both.

1. Would you recommend one over the other?
    2. Are there any bad effects with taking ENADA for a long time... several years?

Thanks everyone,
    Simple
  2. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Can't help you out, but would like to know the answer to this myself.

Take care....Kathi
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

They don't work the same way, altho both help energy and the immune system. It's been recommended to take both.

Below is from immunesupport.com's own library on CoQ10 and NADH. .. . if you want more info go there and do a search on each. By the way, NADH is the final product of niacin (B3), so is an easier way of taking it as you get more of what's beneficial. Hope this helps.

Coenzyme Q10: Supports immune, energy & cardiovascular Health

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is an essential nutrient with a wide range of applications for human health. It is present in every cell of the body and is absolutely necessary to support key metabolic functions. This nutrient acts as a coenzyme in the energy producing pathways that fuel the body’s daily activity.

CoQ10 is a vital component of the energy generating process at the cellular level: it is a true coenzyme. Enzymes, which are biological catalysts, often need assistance in bringing about chemical change within the body. CoQ10 works in the mitochondrial membrane as an electron acceptor/proton donor, facilitating the process of energy production. The body must continually generate energy to support life from these minute power plants within every cell, the mitochondria. Studies show that oral supplementation with CoQ10 will restore depleted CoQ10 stores in cells and tissues through the mitochondria, where they enhance cellular energy production and sustainability.

The antioxidative action of CoQ10, which, in some studies, has been shown to be even greater than that of vitamin E, allows it to protect proteins, lipids and DNA of mitochondria from oxidation and helps to prevent mitochondrial damage.

According to Robert C. Atkins’ M.D., author of Vita-Nutrient Solution, CoQ10 can ‘enhance our immune defenses.’ CoQ10’s nutritional support of the immune system was studied by William Lee, PhD, who found that, with a daily dosage of 60mg for three to twelve weeks, patients had significantly increased levels of immunoglobulin G, an antibody that supports immune function.

CoQ10 has been subject to intense research on its cardioprotective benefits. Multiple studies have investigated the ability of CoQ10 to reduce the lipids that characterize harmful cholesterol buildup. An article in the journal, Atherosclerosis, reported that treatment with CoQ10 reduced the amount of plaque deposits in the coronary arteries and also reduced the incidence of plaque rupture and thrombosis—key events in heart attacks.

A small but significant study at the Langsjoen Clinic in Tyler, Texas showed that this coenzyme has positive results on individuals with an often fatal heart condition, hypertropic cardiomyopathy. In the study, seven patients were given an average of 200mg of CoQ10 daily for three months. All patients noted greater strength and easier breathing. Abnormal thickness of their left ventricular wall was reduced by 26 percent.

Another study by Danish researchers confirmed CoQ10’s heart supporting benefits. The study revealed that 73 percent of patients with congestive heart failure, improved significantly after taking CoQ10, compared with none of the study participants who took a placebo.

Based on years of research, it appears that CoQ10 is an essential nutrient for many of the fundamental processes of the body. It is safe to use over the long term and has no reported side effects. HW

------
    NADH: the natural energy boost clinically proven to reduce symptoms of chronic diseases
    ImmuneSupport.com
    10-13-2000

Possibly the most debilitating aspect of CFS and FM is the lack of energy that helps define these syndromes. To the tens of thousands who suffer with these illnesses, nadh -- nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or Coenzyme 1 -- offers the only FDA approved, clinically tested alternative to boost low energy levels.

The nadh story begins with clinical research carried out at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C. There 26 patients who met the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) criteria for CFS completed a 12-week double-blind, placebo-controlled study. This type of study is the most strenuous and convincing because neither doctors nor patients know who is taking the placebo or who is taking the actual compound under investigation.

This particular research study is particularly valid because of how it was conducted. During weeks one through four, patients received either nadh or a placebo. The next three weeks these same patients received no active treatment. The following four weeks each group--the placebo group and the group that first took nadh--were switched to receive the alternative treatment.

Based on the patients’ response to an extensive questionnaire, the conclusions were persuasive. Patients taking nadh after only four weeks experienced a 31% significant relief of their symptoms.

Still another study yielded even more compelling results. This research, published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, found that 72% of patients experienced significant improvement of symptoms and energy levels after using nadh over time.

It seems that the longer one takes nadh, the better the results. After approximately 1 ½ years of supplementing with nadh, research shows that over 80% of patients experienced nadh’s benefits.

What is nadh?

nadh is a natural coenzyme that plays an important role in the body’s cellular energy producing function. It occurs naturally in the muscle tissue of fish, poultry and cattle, staples of many American diets; however, our bodies absorb only minimal amounts of nadh from food, making supplementation a priority.

The biochemical source of energy stores in the body’s cell structure is called ATP. Many CFS patients have an ATP deficiency, especially after physical exertion. nadh helps CFS sufferers because it is the biological form of hydrogen that reacts with the oxygen we breath to produce ATP, thus increasing cellular energy.

nadh also works on another level, according to George D. Birkmayer, M.D., Ph.D., a world-renowned bio-chemical researcher and author of over 200 articles and papers. It is an energy-rich compound that releases its power when dissolved in water; the human body is comprised of about 80% water, making nadh readily absorbable. The more nadh a cell has, the more energy it can produce. Birkmayer outlines other functions of nadh aside from its energizing ability.

They include:

1) Cell regulation and repair. This aids in the repair of damage perpetuated by chronic disease.

2) Increasing white blood cell function. White blood cells fight disease by attacking invaders to the body. nadh enhances the immune system by improving white blood cell effectiveness.

3)Antioxidant activity. Antioxidants destroy free radicals, which damage cells.

4)Increase adrenaline and dopamine. Both adrenaline and dopamine stimulate strength, movement, alertness and cognitive function.

Enada nadh, FDA tested and safe Enada nadh is one of the first nutritional supplements to be tested using strict FDA guidelines to determine safety and effectiveness. It received an Investigative New Drug (IND) acceptance from the FDA to conduct a human double-blind-placebo-controlled study that followed pharmaceutical and drug testing protocols.

Because nadh disintegrates rapidly without proper stabilization (which makes it ineffective) stabilization of the compound is crucial. Stabilization makes nadh bioavailable to cells and Enada nadh is the only stabilized, patented form of nadh available.
  4. simple

simple New Member

For that information. It made be feel good about continuing to take ENADA. Since it's all natural, long term use seems safe. I'm also going to dig up my old bottle of CoQ10. After reading few more posts on it, I'm going to try it again for few weeks.

-Simple
  5. pixipip

pixipip New Member

Hi guy's can you tell me what ENADA is?
    Also "Simple" what form of Q10 did you take cos some people have tummy problems with the tablet form but not the capsules and visa versa, also different manufacturers put some other ingredients in the mix so you might check different brands out before you deside which to take.
    There's a thin book by Dr Knut T. Flytlie called Q10-Body Fuel ISBN 87-7776-022-0 I think he's the guy that first isolated Q10.

Love & Light,
    Jacqui
  6. simple

simple New Member

I do not know all the medical details for ENADA, but basically I take it because it's a good natural supplement to provide energy. I feel my physical energy level improves and my mental fog is much better. You do not need a prescription... you can buy it at your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

As for CoQ10, I used to take the gel-cap kind. So you're saying I should try a non gelcap, huh. I don't recall the brand of the CoQ10, but I did buy it at GNC. Can you perhaps recommend a good brand for me?

Thanks,
    Simple
  7. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I just had another brouse through my little book.
    Ubiquinone Q10 was discovered by researchers at Minnesota university but the so called "father" of Q10 is karl Folkers from University of Texas, I don't know if he's still around cos he was 85 when the book was written,
    anyway the book recomends only Q10 that is dissolved in soya oil and in soft gel capsules as studies point to the body being able to absorb it better than when it's encased any other way, The brand it recomends is called (Bio-Quinone) but this is also the most expensive brand here in the UK, I'll have a look for the name of the manufacturer next time I go to town, I'm not sure which country you are in but most supplements are a lot cheaper in the states than they are here. I buy my Q10 mail order from a company called Healthspan on the Island of Guarnsey "sorry useless speller", they only sell 10mg & 30mg but even though I take 120mg a day it still works out at half the cost per month of buying (Bio-Quinone)and 1/3 price of store brands, hope some of this helps!

Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  8. beckster

beckster New Member

co-q10. thanks for posting