Enbrel for RA symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirschbaum26, Jan 12, 2006.

1. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Has anyone had success with Enbrel? I started the shots 1 month ago and I cannot believe the improvement in my morning stiffness/pain as well as the general level of my pain. I was not able to start on just methotrexate as my liver function is bad due to far to many years of taking the max (and more) daily dose of ibuprofen. I also have been able to reduce my ibuprofen to below the max dose for the first time in 5+ years.
  2. ulala

ulala New Member

from the Enbrel. Paula Abdul takes Enbrel and seems to be having wonderful results.

Does it help your FM pain? Can you tell the difference between the RA pain and the FM pain. How about fatigue?

I have uveitis and may start on the Enbrel for that. I'm a little scared about the side effects!

Thanks!
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Ulala:

I did not know that Paula Abdul takes Enbrel...did you say that she takes it for ra or fms? I knew that she had a neck injury that was very painful and that she went through years of treatment that did not help.

I can tell the differnce between RA pain and FMS pain...very clearly. The Enbrel has significantly reduced the ra pain (joints). My fms pain has been generally specific to my set of tenderpoints. I have more pain on the right side than the left, which was probably why I was not dx with FMS until I had gone through about 20 years of treatments that did more harm than good.

I actually took prednisone for 5+ years. It really helped my RA as well as my asthma and any "pain" that I had from inflammation. I found out much too late that I did a LOT of damage to my body, and that damage cannot be undone. I also did a lot of damage taking too much advil, for too many years. My PCP says that I have surely "fried" my kidneys...just a matter of time. I still have the abnormal liver function enzyme levels to resolve, but hopefully that will happen over time now that I am not exceeding the max dose each day. I used to be able to tell time by when my next 1200 mg of advil was due...seriously...I would wake up at 6am, and the first thing I would do is shuffle down the hallway and take my advil BEFORE I even went to the bathroom. 6 hours later, actually about 5.5....my joints would all start to hurt, then throb, and then I would just about be ready to start crying, and I would take the next dose. Oh well...I guess you just get used to it. Over the last week or so, I have been amazed, as I do not have that first morning stiffness, and can actually walk down the hallway, and not feel as if I am "shuffling" and the first thing I do is use the bathroom, and can manage on just 600 mg of advil 3 or 4 times a day.

So far I have not had any bad side affects. The very first shot I had to give myself in the doctor's office. I had a bit of a rash after a few hours, but it went away after about a day. The next week I had to go again to give myself the shot in the doctor's office, and I had a bit of bruising (not from the needle stick), but it also went away quickly. The third shot I was able to give myself at home, and I just had the little bump under the skin for a few hours...but it went away. The only other side affect that I can attribute to the Enbrel is that I do not seem to eat as much as I have in the past. Losing some of the prednisone weight would be great for me...plus I actually feel less fatigued...and have taken some short walks without getting as tired as I used to.

I am really hopefull about this medication...althrough I am abit concerned about the long term side affects.

Ingrid
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

Congratulations on having the Enbrel work so quickly for you! A lot of times, it takes much longer for the RA drugs to work. Unfortunately, the very long term effects are just not known because the biologics haven't been around that long. However, what is the alternative? If you can't take methotrexate, you need something to stop more damage from occurring. The problem with RA is that it IS degenerative.

How interesting that you can tell RA from FM! A lot of people can't. Pain around joints can feel like joint pain, and fatigue...from what? My PCP just asked me this morning, does it feel like joint or muscle pain, and I couldn't tell him. Especially if it is both, it seems like it would get confusing. Anyway, I'm glad you can tell the difference so you can know if the RA is more active and you need to go back to your rheumy.

Again, congrats on the success of the Enbrel!