Encouraging Quotes for the Day 1-16-04

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by advancewithcourage, Jan 15, 2004.

1. advancewithcourage

advancewithcourage New Member

Tribulation leads the sanctified soul to the most thorough searching; searching the heart, the mind, the will, the motives, the acts, to see if we are truly given to God; searching the Bible to see if its peculiar trials are depicted there, and this leads to great disclosures of light and truth. Thus trial conducts the holy soul to wider and keener spiritual vision.
    - G.D. Watson

To be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    - Romans 8:6

But He knows the way I take: when he has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.
    - Job 23:10

We can cut off little bad fruits from the tree every now and then. But that does not solve the problem. Our life may look so nice when the bad fruit others could see has all been snipped off. But the tree hasn't changed. Jesus said that a good tree will never bear good fruit unless you change the tree itself. To change the tree, you have to first put the axe to the roots of the old tree.

When we read that Christ died for our sins, we need to understand what sin is. This can be understood aright only when we look at the following scripture,

"Christ died so that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf." (2Cor 5:15)

There we see that it is sin to live for ourselves. But that is not the common understanding of sin that most believers have. When you say that you have repented of your sins, do you really mean that you don't want to live for yourself anymore? If we live for ourselves, whatever bad habits we may have put away, we are still living in sin. The root of all sin is self-will. God wants to put the axe to the root of the tree.
    - Zac Poonen
    Bangladore, India

Too big for God to use me!
    This is the reason why
    Poor longing souls are famished
    Who come, and go, and die!
    O God, my Saviour, help me
    In deep humility
    To make a full surrender
    Henceforth to own but Thee.

Too big for God to use me!
    But if I am possessed
    With unction through His Spirit,
    Then shall my work be blessed,
    I'll count myself as nothing,
    Seek Christ to magnify,
    And use my gifts in service
    My Lord to glorify.

-Anon (taken from The Christians Daily Challenge - Harvey Christian Publishers)