End of my rope...Cannot see Endo...36 and I cant go thru this anymore

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by cheers44, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cheers44

cheers44 New Member

I really hope someone can lend some advice. I am so upset. For my entire adult life I have felt like straight up crud. Every time I do research on my symptoms it always comes back to thyroid. Yet when they do my TSH - because apparently they think that is the only way to dx - it is always normal. Actually it is very low borderline normal each time. I have found MANY articles that explain normal/low TSH and very symptomatic hypothyroid. But the Drs think I just read too much. I also wondered if maybe it was an adrenal problem. So I took a check list of symptoms and I have almost ALL. I called the ONE endocrinologist in town and they will not schedule an appt unless your Primary Doc refers you. I called my primary to get the referral (this is not for insurance...just to get IN ). RN calls back and says because my TSH levels were in normal range in 2009, that the endo doc would probably not see me and she referred for me to see a dietitian. She knows I have been struggling with a 20-30 lb weight loss for years. I KNOW HOW TO EAT!! I mean, DUH...don't you think that would have been my FIRST course?? as it is now, I am at the edge of my rope. I would/will not ever say I am suicidal. But I truly dont know how much more I can take. I will list the symptoms that I have in hopes that maybe someone can suggest SOMETHING I can do.

My father may have had thyroid issues before he died of diabetes at age 46.

Unable to lose weight

I am always cold

My BP has always been on the low side...currently in BB which makes it lower

Dry Skin

My body is constantly aching for no apparent reason

I have had plantar facitis in the past

Menses has become annoyingly heavy...cannot leave house sometimes

Extreme depression

Cannot concentrate on much

Low sex drive

Eyes are very light sensitive

Bruise very easily

Breast leakage (baby stopped breastfeeding 4 1/2 years ago)

Chronic Stress

Anxiety

Panic Attacks (take klonopin which keeps them at bay)

Tachycardia (why I take the Beta Blocker)

Palpitations

Extreme breast tenderness

Mood swings

Extreme exhaustion (found note in diary when I was 16 complaining of same thing)

No energy whatsoever

Some Labs (I had to practically demand these tests):

2007 – Fasting

Insulin resistance – 8

Free T3 – 118

Free T4 – 1.3

TSH - 0.74

Fasting Glucose – 78

Cortisol – 7.7 (10 am)

2008 (day 17 of menses cycle)

Progestrone – 0.4

Estrogen – 20.3

TSH 0.37

(day 25 of cycle)

Estrogen 20.2

Progestrone 20.2

Fasting Glucose – 81

TSH – 0.71

Total Cholesterol – 164

HDL – 50

LDL – 102

Triglycerides – 62

CRP – 1.1

Thank you for listening.

Heather, 36, WI[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2010]
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The paper that you got the levels from should indicate the ranges also. If the TSH, free T3 and free T4 are coming back borderline normal (which means they are just off normal and not borderline low), then I can understand why your doctors would not consider you for thyroid.

I want to remind you that ProHealth does not provide doctors for the boards, so you are getting advice from people. Please do not go on thyroid medication unless your your doctor directs it because it is risky to play doctor yourself even with Armour because there are risks from using the synthetic or Armour if you start dosing yourself.

I was found to have hypothyroidism from the lab results and a goiter in 1977 and the doctors had me on thyroid medication since then. They have to test yearly and adjust up and down accordingly. Moving to a different climate amazingly changed the thyroid and the dosage.

You also have the option of taking your test results to another doctor for a second opinion and see what that doctor says.

It may also be time to check in with your OB/GYN and speak to him/her about all this and feeling like crud. We have had people on these boards that had very low hormones that the OB/GYN can help with and some where the birth control actually had to be adjusted.

And if everything comes out okay, you may be feeling like crud for so long, not because of any thyroid problems, but you may be dealing with some depression. That's something else to consider.
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

endocrineweb
    Thyroid Goiter
    Enlargement of the Thyroid
    Written by James Norman MD, FACS, FACE

A goiter is an enlarged thyroid gland.The term nontoxic goiter refers to enlargement of the thyroid which is not associated with overproduction of thyroid hormone or malignancy. The thyroid can become very large so that it can easily be seen as a mass in the neck. This picture depicts the outline of a normal size thyroid in black and the greatly enlarged goiter in pink. There are a number of factors which may cause the thyroid to become enlarged.

A DIET DEFICIENT IN IODINE CAN CAUSE A GOITER BUT THIS IS RARELY THE CAUSE BECAUSE OF THE READILY AVAILABLE IODINE IN OUR DIETS. A more common cause of goiter in America is an increase in thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) in response to a defect in normal hormone synthesis within the thyroid gland. The thyroid stimulating hormone comes from the pituitary and causes the thyroid to enlarge. This enlargement usually takes many years to become manifest.

Large goiter in the neck.This picture depicts the typical appearance of a goiter in a middle aged woman. Note how her entire neck looks swollen because of the large thyroid. This mass will compress the trachea (windpipe) and esophagus (swallowing tube) leading to symptoms such as coughing, waking up from sleep feeling like you can't breath, and the sensation that food is getting stuck in the upper throat. Once a goiter gets this big, surgical removal is the only means to relieve the symptoms. Yes, sometimes they can get a lot bigger than this!

Indications for Treatment

Most small to moderate sized goiters can be treated by providing thyroid hormone in the form of a pill. By supplying thyroid hormone in this fashion, the pituitary will make less TSH which should result in stabilization in size of the gland. This technique often will not cause the size of the goiter to decrease but will usually keep it from growing any larger. Patients who do not respond to thyroid hormone therapy are often referred for surgery if it continues to grow.

Trachea compressed by large goiter more common indication for surgical removal of an enlarged thyroid [goiter] is to remove those glands which are enlarged enough to cause compression on other structures in the neck such as the trachea and esophagus. These patients will typically complain of a cough, a slight change in voice, or nighttime choking episodes because of the way that the gland compresses the trachea while sleeping. This X-ray shows how an enlarged right lobe of the thyroid has moved the trachea to the patient's left. The trachea (outlined in light yellow) should be straight from the mouth down to the lungs, but in this patient it is compressed and displaced far to the left. The enlarged gland can even compress the blood vessels of the neck which are also an indication for its removal. More about this on our page examining sub-sternal thyroids.

As always, suspicion of malignancy in an enlarged thyroid is an indication for removal of the thyroid. There is often a dominant nodule within a multinodular goiter which can cause concern for cancer. It should be remembered that the incidence of malignancy within a multinodular goiter is usually significantly less than 5%. If the nodule is cold on thyroid scanning, then it may be slightly higher than this. For the vast majority of patients, surgical removal of a goiter for fear of cancer is not warranted.

Another reason (although not a very common one) to remove a goiter is for cosmetic reasons. Often a goiter gets large enough that it can be seen as a mass in the neck. When other people begin to notice the mass, it is usually big enough to begin causing compression of other vital neck structures...but not always. Sometimes the large goiter causes no symptoms other than being a cosmetic problem. Realizing of course, if its big enough to be seen by your neighbors, something needs to be done...medications or surgery or it will most likely continue to get bigger.

4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Meaning that there is nothing else to make of it. You have been given some options here and you've got some thinking to do as to what your next step will be. Sometimes people read so much, they can assume they have that malady, when they don't. It doesn't mean you shouldn't check it out. But keep an open mind.

Jam, I don't want to go running off discussing goiters and such on Cheers' thread, and if you want that, a new thread should really be opened because this thread was to help that poster.

[This Message was Edited on 03/13/2010]