End stage of Chirosis of the Liver

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by MissLener, Sep 17, 2003.

1. MissLener

MissLener New Member

Hi...I'm looking for someone who has dealt with a loved one (parent would be great) who has passed away from Chirrosis of the Liver. My father is 65 and currently in hospital with Hepatic Encepalopathy (sp). He's been Hepatic about 5 times aready...and this time we've chosen to only allow him to have the liquid laxative orally...no more tubes..he doens't want that.
    Can anyone tell me what to expect as the end draws nearer???
    TIA
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have Hospice services here where the loved one and family are prepared for what to expect. I don't know whether you have anything like that available or not. Have you spoken with the docs?

My prayers are with you and your family.

Love, Mikie
  3. MissLener

MissLener New Member

Hi...thanks for your kind words. We've spoken with the Dr.'s..but they don't tell us everything and it's always the same old reply.."oh, it's hard to say". It's frustrating for us kids..My older brother is 40, I"m 31, and the little brother is 21...and they are treating us like infants. All I need is to hear from others that have gone through this...
    Today is day 4 that he hasn't been eating. I'm beginning to think that we are getting close to the end...but again...no one will say anything. I realize that no one can say...on such and such a die your dad will die..but some sort of info or anything would be great.
    I'm rambling...sorry.
  4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot New Member

I'm not sure what the status of your father is at this date, but I just finished 7 weeks of hell with my 45 yr old son. When he first entered ICU I was told not to expect him to live. Doc had given him 2 blood transfusions and for first 4 days I all we could do was pray and pray hard. My friends also prayed. They had prepared him on day 3 for a dialysis even tho doc didn't want to subject him to it. Said he could bleed out and if went into cardiac arrest should just let him die. Said at his stage (liver and kidney shutdown) they never survive. Well, after prayers and visual healing (by me) he did survive. Spent 3 wks in hosp and another 4 wks in nursing home. He also had dementia but got better after 1st wk in nurs. home but had no memory of 3 wks in hosp. This was unfortunate as he insisted in coming home because he felt good. They let him as long as he had 8 meds supervised by VNA and made arrangements for therapy (wouldn't go into long-term prog). He got home last wk and is drinking again. I've had to let go and feel it's in god's hands. My message to everyone in this or end stage is to keep praying and either hope for miracle or comfort in letting go. Good luck
  5. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I just happened to stop over on this board, and read your story - I'm so sorry for you.. It has to be so hard on you to watch your son do this to himself.. He has to want to stop and try to get his life back, so by no means should you feel guilty or anything..
    I will keep you in my prayers, and like you said it is now in God's hands.........
    Take Care.......God Bless..........Donna
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.
    My grandmother died of cirrhosis. She got very sick and lost alot of blood. Docs put a shunt in her liver. She took liquid laxatives for about a year I guess. On and off she had good days and bad. She was a little tired, but her death wasn't gruesome. As I said she was tired. She got a bit weaker, but still doing pretty well. In the end she died sleeping in her recliner. She was unable to lay down as she had alot of swelling in her feet and legs. Her death was very, very peaceful. My Aunt was with her and said that she took a deep breath and passed just that easily.
    I hope this is of some help. I wish you strength and comfort. (To this day I guess no one knows for sure why she got this in the first place. She never drank and always ate well.) {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2003]
  7. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Hi Miss! My mom died of colon cancer which had spread to her liver, and I also have a sister w/Chirrosis. My mom died at home per her wishes. I was lucky enough to have time off work to care for her and I'm very greatful for that time with her. It's hard to prepare for the death of a loved one and I was very blessed to have visiting nurses that helped guide me through the "what nexts?". One of the nurses gave me a book and I wish I remembered the name of it, that explained the final stages of disease and death. It helped me alot and I'm sure there are more out there. If I didn't have that knowlege it would have been alot worse I think. The one thing I never would have thought was at the end I would be praying for her death, so that she wouldn't suffer any more. My first words when she died and I was holding her hand was Thank You God. It's the most difficult thing losing someone you love. My mom was young too only 57.I miss her terribly and it's been eight years. One thing that that I wasn't prepared for is they don't always say I love you and close their eyes and go to sleep. My Moms last words were help me. I called her Oncologist and he added more meds to the ton I already had her on and she was pretty much in and out of conscienceness (sp?) the last week. Finally, she her breathing got really ragged and she developed what they call the death rattle. It's a rattling sound from their chest and her breaths just got further apart and she just stopped breathing. I don't think any thing completely prepares you for this, even though dying is as much a part of life as being born. I think what bothered me most and it sounds stupid but I didn't know that their mouth doesn't close when they die. It won't close. We closed her eyes. It sounds kind of heavy and I don't want to cause you any anxiety but the little things were what got to me. There are things that happen to the body as it shuts down that the nurses explained but the little things were the kickers. Sometimes the nurses and caregivers are a wealth of information and have more time to explain the little things that your looking for than the doctors. I couldn't get hospice because my mom had a epideral for pain and it's considered a life saving device, but my visiting nurses were like Angels sent to guide me. If you can get help from Hospice I really advise it. I did see a grief counselor from them when it was over. I know we all go through this at some time with someone we love but it is never easy. My sister is only 47 and has just been taken off chemo and is on the waiting list for a new liver, so I may be posting to you for advise someday soon! In the meantime, we were lucky enough to have some crossover miracles with my mom that really convinced me that there is life after death. Make sure that you make your peace and say anything you've needed to say to your dad that will help you let him go when the time comes. God Bless you and your family and I will add you to my prayers. Good Luck to you and I will be praying for an easy crossover for your Dad when the time comes and peace of heart for you. Lots of love to you! Dona