Endocrinology/infectious diseases

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judithmahw, Jan 18, 2007.

  1. judithmahw

    judithmahw New Member

    Has any one seen an enodcrinologist or Infectious disease MD? I was recently told by a very good cancer nurse I know that CFSFM should be followed there? Any thoughts
  2. judithmahw

    judithmahw New Member

    I am looking. Judy
  3. HurtsToMove

    HurtsToMove New Member

    who found that I have undetectable levels of estrogen. NOT normal for a woman of child-bearing age. Needless to say, we are having further testing done.

    I don't believe an endocrinologist should be your primary doctor for FM/CFS treatment, but it's good to get tested and rule out any hormone problems.
  4. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member


    I went to an infecious disease doctor. He was very nice and did many more tests.

    He found a few things that needed help, like very low sodium, etc.

    He gave me some tips on the other things in the blood.

    I did it. I still have extreme pain with the FM, but at least now I am a bit more condident in labs.

  5. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    It would help round out my search for answers. I don't expect they would have a magic pill for me but there is always the possibility that they might find something that other docs haven't.

    Love, Mikie
  6. balletdancer74

    balletdancer74 New Member


    I have rather a large team of health care professionals for my CFIDS/M.E., FM/MPS, Lyme, etc.

    I only went to an endocrinologist a couple of years ago because my pituitary tumor triggered some hormonal imbalances.

    My doctors consist of an immunologist (Dr. Levine), GP (specializes in CFIDS/M.E./FM - Dr. Enlander), neurologist, rheumy (only see her every six months), acupuncturist...Those are my main docs.

    They all specialize in M.E./CFIDS and FM/MPS.

    However, I was diagnosed by an infectious diseases specialist. He didn't treat CFIDS/M.E. or FM but sent me to my first specialist and I went from there...I also live in NYC which makes finding a doctor a tad easier.

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    LB32 (Leeza)
  7. KMD90603

    KMD90603 New Member

    I saw an endocrinologist when my family doctor suspected hyperthyroidism. However, he was able to firmly rule it out, so I didn't have to go back to that doctor. I see an infectious disease doctor for my CFIDS, and he hasn't really done a whole lot for me. However, he is very knowledgable about CFIDS, and he has done pretty extensive testing so far. I still would like to be tested for some of these other viruses, because so far I've only tested positive for parvovirus. He also was the first doctor to discover that I had elevated cytokines, which he believes is related to my CFIDS.

    An infectious disease doctor is a great place to start, but some people see a neurologist, a rheumatologist or an immunologist. It's important to remember, though, that depending on which doctor you see, they will all treat you differently. I'd say that an infectious disease doc or an immunologist might be the best route to go, considering CFIDS is considered to be a disease largely affecting the immune system.

  8. poodlemommy

    poodlemommy New Member

    I went by accident. I litteraly had a car accident and needed a ct scan on my neck. They found I had thyroid cancer. I went to an endocronologist after my thyroid was surgiacally removed. I now see him once a year to give me the thyroid med as I have no thyroid now and depend on the pill to replace those functions the thyroid did. Also I get a blood test to make sure Im on the right dose of thyroid and I get a thyroglobulin test. It should very very low or 0. if not then its means the cancer is back. Thyroid cancer is never totally cured. It can come back at any time. So I need to do my yearly test for ever.
  9. wrthster

    wrthster New Member

    Hi Judy,

    Excellent topic. I have been to more doctors than I know what to do with. I finally found one I like and think is highly intelligent, get's it, and it an agressive treater. He is an Infectious Disease Doc but specializes in Lyme. Therefore that probably gives him an edge over most Infectious Disease Docs. Most of them will not even agree to see CFS/FM patients from my experience. But if you can find a good one, or a good Immunologist I think that is the best route for these horrible conditions.

    Rheumatologists are a joke, and Neurologists who could play a critical role in this have very little experience dealing with FM/CFS people.

[ advertisement ]