Endoscopic Exam: What Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, May 29, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I saw my doctor today. We discussed my ongoing problems with GERD, and since I've never had one, he gave me a referral for an endoscopic examination, mainly to check for Barrett's Esophagus, which I know can lead to cancer.

I've read about this test, and my doctor described it to me, but I'd like to hear from those who have gone through it. One thing that concerns me is that my throat already feels pretty raw all the time, probably from the acid, and I understand that the endoscope can irritate the throat even more.

If that was a problem for anybody who has had this test, did the sore throat last very long? If so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks.

--Laura R.M.

2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I had one but they put me out for just a bit. Of course it is scary but other than my aprehension, I had no problems. A minor sore throat and I sprayed it with an over the counter spray for sore throats but thanks to Fibro I cannot remember the name of it right now. It only lasted a day or 2
    Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2003]
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Laura,

I had an endoscopic procedure when I had a cold
    and a fever. So I had a sore throat to begin with.
    I don't remember if it bothered me afterwards, I just
    know that I choked and gagged when they sprayed
    my throat in the beginning. I was then asleep and out of it until they were done.

Good luck,
    Lynn