Endoscopy and general anesthesia question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jennyjams, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jennyjams

jennyjams New Member

Has anyone had any experience with endoscopy procedures under general anesthesia? My gastroenterologist wanted to investigate some new symptoms of my IBS by doing a full gastroscopy and colonoscopy with loads of biopsies. The last time I had these they had to stop them early on because I was in intense pain. We talked about it a bunch and felt that in order to ensure that he was able to do the tests properly, I would have to go under. This was Friday afternoon. It's now Sunday afternoon. For the last 2 days my FMS has got worse and worse. The fatigue and fibrofog are just absolutely oppressive - I can't even hold the simplest conversation with my husband, I'm sleeping on and off the whole day, reading for more than 2 minutes at a time makes my head (and the room) spin, vertigo is making me nauseus, everything hurts, I'm completely constipated, etc etc etc. Nothing seems to be helping at all.

I was wondering if anyone else has had general anesthesia or any endoscopy procedures lately and had similar worsening of their symptoms? I'm so frustrated and don't know what to do!

Thanks
  2. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi,
    I was under general anesthesia for sinus surgery about two years ago and the doctor told me the anesthetic can last sometimes a whole week. So if it's only been two days I wouldn't worry too much. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cynny3
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which knocks one out but isn't the deep anesthesia used for most surgeries. Down here in SW FL, the gastros all use this. No one is given the type in which the patient is awake like Katie Couric was on TV.

The only problem I have is with expelling the air they pump into the colon and with nausea upon waking. They put antinausea meds into the cocktail but I still get sick.

I have no stomach problems, but it was a good month before my gut was back to normal. I had a lot of gas and some constipation. I guess this is normal.

Love, Mikie
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

My mom always says she gets really sick from anestesia because of her fibro. They use a specific kind on her that makes her recoupe much better. Still sick though. It will take time, you will get better. I am so sorry about how you feel, it is no fun, I know.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to say that they can give you enough Vesaid to knock you out along with Fentanyl. I just had a procedure done where I was out for almost an hour that way without needed general. A lot depends on the hospital.

In the past I have had biopsies done on upper end that has taken longer too.

Given the right amount of Vesaid, you should be totally out of pain and unaware-I go out like a light! I once had a colonoscopy done and they did not give me enough and man I was totally aware and it hurt too.

For general anaesthetic you needed to meet with the anaesthesiologist well before hand so they could take certain tests, muscle tests and work out the best one for you. It appears they did not do this.

I have to tell you I was about to post a topic too, as since I had a long(over 30 mins) TEE (into esophagus but then staying in the chest area for a fair amount of time to look at the heart) 20 days ago, I still have the most awful diaphram and chest and mid back pains, that are driving me nuts. They said I may experience some pain for a couple of days(felt like I swallowed 12 golf balls) but this pain will NOT go away. I am starting to think they left part of the equipment in there!

So your question sort of echoes mine in some ways re the pain part. I may do a post anyway and you check thta out too.

It is the pits.

Love Anne C

GoodLuck
  6. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I had a general anaesthetic for about 20 mins..Needed ,more oxygen after op. than others but after I went home I took a specially prepared post op. Chinese Herb Mix and I felt no ill effects in terms of CFS.