Energy Enhancers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Irwin, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Irwin

Irwin New Member

What is the latest thinking on taking something like Retilin to improve your energy? If not Retilin, is anything considered useful by the medical community to im-prove one's energy? If not, why not? If so, what is it?
    Thanks
    Irwin
  2. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

In addition to Ritalin - Adderal and Provigil(the new kid on the block) are used to fight fatigue. You can search for both of them on the net and find out all you want to know.

Take Care,

Kel
    [This Message was Edited on 04/14/2003]
  3. Irwin

Irwin New Member

Kelly,

Thanks for the informantion.

Irwin
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Welcome to the board. You didn't mention if you have CFS or FMS. Personally I would be very hesitant to take a stimulant for energy. Our central nervous systems are already dysfunctional and some testing like PET scans reveal the nature of these injuries. I have many neural symptoms and this would in my opinion make them much worse.

You might find that you could get help with energy from vitamin B 12 injections and Co Enzyme Q 10.
    There are other energy enhancers on the market, that I would try first If I were you. Severe Fatigue/Exhaustion, is one of the remaining symptoms on my list. I began tackling it a month and a half ago with vitamin B-12 injections, and CO Q, and have seen significant improvement.
    I had been taking oral B12, but due to malabsorption was not getting benefits. I am also starting on B-Complex injections to be administer at home, shortly.

Best wishes,
    LL
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is a stimulant which works in a much smaller area of the brain than other amphetamines or stimulants. I could not take it as it had the opposite effect that my doc and I were looking for. This may have been due either to a paradoxical reaction or an interaction with my Klonopin.

LL is right about stimulating brains which may already be in an overstimulated state. If a person is suffering from racing brain, anxiety, edginess, panic attacks, or sensory overload, it is probably a good indication that the brain is already overfiring or misfiring and a stimulant may just exacerbate the problem.

Vitamin C has always been a good picker upper for me. I find I have to take a lot of B-12 to get results orally. Co Q-10 is very good. I have started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid but it hasn't had a chance yet to help me.

Love, Mikie
  6. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Back before I had to give up an go on disability, Ritalin saved my job. The brain fog had the best of me. From the first pill I was like my old self.

It didn't do me any damage.

Kel
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

However, I agree with LayingLow and Mikie on using these purely stimulant drugs..I took Cylert for about a year because I have ADD, but it did not continue to work and I wonder if it might have done some damage...this was before I read Dr. Cheney's opinion on the subject..

Our brains are already overly active and we actually need to calm the brain..Supplements, although working much slower, should be much better for you in the long term..and you obtain energy from the healing and wisdom of the body..If you are fatigued, your body is trying to tell you to slow down, respect it and let it heal!! I know, cause I used to push myself beyond all limits...

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
    ~~Amelia~~
  8. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Some of us don't have the luxury to experiment with supplements and anti-depressents like Wellbutrin. When I became ill I was a Widow with three children and I was our only support. It wasn't possible for me to stop pushing until the last one got out of high school. I had to take Ritalin, and Percodan and stay on my feet.

Also, many of us can't afford supplements. Insurance will pay for other things. You may be correct that the natural supplements are more effective in the long run, but some of just don't have the time or money to experiment.

Take Good Care,

Kel
  9. Irwin

Irwin New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

I tried Provigil and found that it had the opposite effect on me then what it's supposed to do. I was really dragging around for the week that I was on it. It felt like my zombie days of old. I've had CF for 8 years. I'm better than I was when it first attacked me but, it has left me with no endurance and without being able to work.
    I've tried Yohobin, via the recommendation from my psychiatrist. It worked for a while but the energy didn't seem to last. Besides, it felt like I was pushing my body to do something it really didn't have the energy to accomplish. I finally decided to refrain from taking it and reluctantly returned to my old ways of feeling tired.
    Regards to all.
    Irwin