energy for fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kokabean, May 24, 2010.

1. kokabean

kokabean New Member

I just got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and my toughest part is not having any energy. Does anyone take a medication that helps with this and what is it. Help please!
  2. KerryK

KerryK Member

I find that using gabapentin or lyrica quite energizing - likely in part because my sleep quality is much improved on them and the pain is improved.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I have CFS, not FM. However, my sister-in-law has FM and for her light physical activity helps with her energy. She finds on the days that she doesn't get any activity are the days that she struggles through. When she was first diagnosed her disability insurance provider insisted that she go to physical therapy. She was forced to walk for an hour per day and at first found it hard, however, after a couple of weeks she found it really did make a huge difference to how she felt.

She also was taking amitryptaline (not sure of the spelling) and that really helped her with her sleep for about the first five years or so.
  4. kokabean

kokabean New Member

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for responding my Doctor took me off the Lyrica today cause it had adverse reactions on me but what is gabapentin?
  5. kokabean

kokabean New Member

Hi TigerLilea,

Thanks for replying. I do walk and force myself to that is the one activity that I do try to maintain. I have to go for physical therapy as well. I am newly diagnosed and am just trying to find the right things for me to do. I am only 36 and this really sucks but I am trying to maintain a positive attitude. You all are helping me very much and thank you!
  6. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Just me, but I am on Ritalin.
  7. KerryK

KerryK Member

Gabapentin is the generic of neurontin, another anti-seizure drug like lyrica. I find it much more tolerable than lyrica though the user will likely need to increase the dose quite regularly.
  8. kokabean

kokabean New Member

Hey I did have low Vitamin D and B12 and now have that under control. Thank you for giving me advice I will take any at this point from people who actually suffer and understand FM.
  9. Birdie13

Birdie13 New Member

Didn't get to finish last one. My Dr. laughed at me with I said I thought I had FM, can't afford to go anymore, I am newly retired and not doing well financially.
    Anyway, I am seeing Vit D, magnesium, malic acid and glutamic acid help. Have you tried the others and have they helped you?
  10. kokabean

kokabean New Member

Hi fredt, thanks for the reply. What is dopamine?
  11. kokabean

kokabean New Member

Hi Birdie13,

I am sorry i told my doctors that as well and they still tried to get me to go to more. Mine keep referring me from one to the other and its driving me crazy none are helping me! I have tried Vit D but not the others. Thank you so much for the information.

12. victoria

victoria New Member

you may find a doctor who works with adrenal exhaustion. Low dose/physiologic use of cortisol can helps support the adrenals and therefore ultimately with energy. With the stress of these DDs and the way lives get turned upside down, it makes sense.