Enhancing my store bought soups

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Recipes For Patients' started by jaminhealth, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I've been buying Progresso Light Soups and yesterday I bought their Heart Healthy soups...all pretty good considering not made in my own kitchen....

What I've been doing is adding my own black beans, 1/2 can or so of low sodium beans and cutting up at least 1/2 avacodo...soooo good and hearty and full of good fats and protein. Just finishing my Heart Healthy meatball soup with added beans and avacodo.....

I don't eat the american traditional breakfast of toast, breads, etc.....I bring no breads into my house...

Just a tip for many of us who are tired of cooking... jam
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Jam,

Yes, that is what I have been doing also for some time. Sometimes I even just use one can for the two of us and add extra veggies and either more water or low sodium / and or fat broth. Sometimes too I put two cans of different things together and find out they are really good together plus add stuff, even dehydrated chives and or parsley.

Not to long ago I used Progresso Lentil soup (the regular not the low fat and lentils or beans are so good for you) which is good by itself and I added the first time the Progresso Minestrone to the Lentil soup. I also add dehyd. parsley and or chives with it. Of course if you have fresh, add that. I know the Minestrone has some pasta and potatoes but is mostly beans. but one can is split between two people.

Sometimes I take a can of Progresso or other chicken noodle (with carrots) or whatever soup , that you do not add water too normally. Then add another cup of low fat and or sodium broth or water and add 1/2 can of green beans (without juice) or veggie of choice or leftover veggies and this serves two people, using up one canned soup. It is also healthier and more economical.

Yes, I two am getting awfully lazy cooking when I think of how much I used to cook for so many.

Am always looking for yummy ideas to make things healthier and more economical too.

Hugz,
    Granni
  3. jaminhealth

Yeah, Granni, combining soups sound good too....I eat soup very often for breakfast....
    I did make a pot of curry cabbage, red potatoes and peas today, so yum,mmy and a few meals for me.

Hope you are well...... jam
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Jam - Did you use any canned soups to make your curry cabbage , do you have a recipe or just throw things into the pot :)!! I should make more stuff with cabbage I know it is very healthy. Off to make lunch !
    Granni
  5. jaminhealth

Not from can Granni, head of cabbage, 2 red potatoes (less starch than russets), frozen peas, coconut oil as my base start with water

and curry powder.....do potatoes first, chop up cabbage and add peas last and cook, I like curry so I use a good amount..buy my stuff in bulk at our coop health food store...

My one friend made the above without curry and she liked it a lot....she forgot the peas too....but still enjoyed the cabbage and potatoes...

And, of course, use amounts for how much you want to make, it's only me so I know what I need to use. jam

Some years ago and forget where I was, but the lady made mashed potatoes and added a good amount of cooked cabbage and mashed it all together and added a dolop of butter and salt and omgoodness how I remember how tasty that was......I don't use white potatoes too often so I don't make mashed potatoes...I make a sweet potatoe once a week usually, in my toaster oven....so delicious....
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Jam,

At least for the first time, how much water do you start with and curry do you use to start out with? I would need to at least double what you are making and leftovers are great too. I know I can change the amounts later on. Haven't used much curry so will have to experiment with that taste. Have you used onion or garlic in this soup at all, just wondering since I am not sure if I have ever made a soup with out one, the other or both :)!! I know if cabbage is in there it will be delicious.

That is interesting about red potatoes. I have hardly used them but they are probably better fir DH if he has to watch his carbs with possible borderline diabetes. Do you peal them first or not. I know they can be left on in many dishes and looks pretty too.

I'll bet that mashed potato dish with the cabbage is delicious too. I love it too and so does DH but I am getting lazy and we both should eat less potatoes. OMG, I could make a meal our of mashed potatoes and gravy :)!!! May make it special occasions.

Thanks and TTYL !
    Granni
  7. jaminhealth

Another tip on enhancing my can soups....this morning I did another can of progersso lite, and last night I took out a 1/4lb of ground turkey from my freezer as I thought I'd make a turkey burger for breakfast, well what I did was roll a bunch of little meat balls from the turkey and put them in the soup to which I added the black beans, avacodo and a little water....cooked a little, omgooodness a great meal.... I'll have the rest tomorrow morning.

Granni, I'll come back with the cabbage starter soon, I have to go out. jam
  8. jaminhealth

This morning's breakfast soup is: Chicken Orzo from Progresso to which I added cut up asparagus and a good amount of pinto beans and cooked for a short time and so delicious. Asparagus is "in" big time and I eat it almost every day, add it to all the soups. Oh, also add a tsp or so of Collagen I'm now taking, so it's all good... jam
  9. MsBrandywine

MsBrandywine Member

Sounds Yummy Jam...
    Didnt know this on the red potatoes.. but.. I do eat alot of the sweet potatoes.. and I have made mashed potatoes using cooked and drained cauliflower.. but the cabbage sounds yummy too..
  10. jaminhealth

I'd LOVE to be back to making all my own soups.....have lost my motivation and would like to get it back......mashed cauliflower, good and yummy......
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Jam et al,

It is all sounding good to me. However, it is a little more tricky cooking for two who wants meat at most meals. We have gotten better though at less potatoes and mostly sweet when we do. Eating more salads too. Keep the ideas coming everyone.

However, now it is starting to get warm and when it gets hot I know DH is not up for soups as much as in the cold weather. I can eat them at any time.

Hugz,
    Granni
  12. SuzanneJYates

SuzanneJYates Member

This actually does not merely sound healthy, but also sounds really good in a taste sense. I am going to have to try it myself. While I am unable to let go of bread completely, I think that I am going to have to alternate and see how my body responds to it.
  13. jaminhealth

Ronit, my beliefs after years of research is that protein is our best type breakfast nourishment....right now I'm sauting organic chicken thighs and will eat them in my romaine lettuce wrap for my breakfast....I save a piece of fruit for later and keep fruit to a limit.....berries are good choices, I bought fresh pineapple the other day and will eat small pieces thru my day...but I don't overdose on fruits (sugars)....we need some but too many do overdose on fruit which raises our sugars.......jam
  14. jaminhealth

I just bought a new stock of the Progresso soups...they make a Heart Healthy type, a Lite product and they were on sale for $2 a can....now there is some "stuff" in the soups I don't like but can't win on everything....I add my own cooked chicken, asparagus lately and whatever in my refrig....I like cilantro and bought a fresh bunch the other day, so add cilantro too....so much depends on how I feel, the better I feel, the more I will do to these soups...
  15. jaminhealth

I'm still doing these soups but mostly Heart Healthy types of Chicken/Wild Rice and Chicken Gumbo...MSG is not added to these soups, but yes there are preservatives.....

Today's gumbo I added 2 cut up organic zucchini, cut up celery, chopped onion and a small bonelsss grass fed cut up cooked chicken breast... Cook the veggies and chiken and add to the soup with the water from the cooking the veggies....this gives me about 3-4 small bowls of this yummy soup. I keep my qt pot in refrig and heat a bowl as I need.

I've been using cut up green beans and broccoli and asparagus in season.

It's only me and I graze during the day, when I go out to dinner with friends then it's a sit down meal for dinner....but for me grazing works.

Still off all breads...and I'm sure it will stay this way...it's over 3 yrs.