Enlarged Gallbladder ???? what? what now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. tandy

    tandy New Member

    hey guys~
    I'm just hoping someone can shed light on something new for me.
    A recent abdominal cat scan showed an enlarged gallbladder. I was just told yesterday by my urologist who's testing me for IC/angry bladder.

    I have alot of upper stomach pains at times,.. including reflux. My uro. told me to follow up with my primary about this.
    He said he was'nt sure what exactly an enlarged gallbladder meant. (wow.)
    Has anyone ever been told this and had off and on symptoms of upper belly pain?? (gas too) or burping more than usual.
    Guess I'll be calling my primary soon.
  2. Rosiebud

    Rosiebud New Member

    yes call your doc - I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago due to 3 extreme attacks and constant pains and burping etc. I had gallstones.

    I had to wait a year for op (UK) and by that time the gallbladder had fused to my liver. The surgeon had to work harder but he managed to do it without resorting to old fashioned method where you're cut right open so I was lucky. Though if they'd operated when they should have it wouldnt have been in a mess.

    So don't waste time.....get onto your doctor and get it sorted. Doesnt mean you have gallstones but better to find out and if its hyplori, thats easily remedied with antibiotics.

    Good luck

    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2008]
  3. kbak

    kbak Member

    I think you should go see a gastro doc. The fact that have stomach pains and reflux the person most likey to help you is a gasto doc. If you haven't had an endoscopy they'll probably want to do one. It's important to have that endoscopy so they can determine what exactly is going on.

    You could have H pylori which not only causes ulcer's but can lead to cancer. There's all kinds of things that could cause your symptom's. The gut is a huge part of your immune system. So instead of having other docs guess get one who can pinpoint.

    Take care,
  4. justlooking

    justlooking New Member

    and it says most likely due to a block bile duct.

    Didn't they do an ultrasound of your abdomen? It probably would have shown what was enlarging it, such as stones.

    Anyway at this point you have had the symptoms of gallbladder problems for many months. I think you now have your answer and should make an appointment with a surgeon to have it removed.

    I would go see your PCP and have him/her get you to a surgeon ASAP.

    You have suffered far too long and it is usually unlikely to fix a diseased gallbladder without removal.

    I had mine out earlier this year. It was laproscopic. I was in the hospital for about 4-5 hours, went home and felt pretty good within a week or so. It only left 4 small incisions and was wearing a bikini a month later.

    I can eat again and I am so happy I had it done.
    Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2008]
  5. tandy

    tandy New Member

    and Hello to JL~
    yes,..I'm calling you out here :)
    Just to say a special thanks for all your help/replys on both,... my gut troubles,and my cat drama on chit chat.
    Ya think enlarged means inflammed/diseased? that would be my thought.
    and thats what I thought when I sought help months ago by my primary and all he said was that he believed my symptoms to be from worsening IBS.
    he then gave me nexium and an appointment back to him in Nov.
    Now I'm really curious if this is my answer for all my 'attacks of bad stomach pain'
    (knock on wood I never get nausea tho)?? everything else classic of gallbladder but no nausea.
    hope your doing alright/ good :)
  6. justlooking

    justlooking New Member

    Well I guess we just have a lot in common LOL

    One of the reasons I have watched your posts about your gut issues is because they sound so much like my problems. I didn't really have any nausea and when I did and also had the stomach/rib pain, my Dr blamed it all on IBS. I have a great Dr, who has been there for me since 1994 and is usually very thorough but missed this one. He wasn't the only one, I had gone to the ER for the pain once and mentioned it to my Pain Dr and an Endocrinologist. Not one even mentioned Gallstones!!

    I only got diagnosed after years of complaining about the pain and tests for everything BUT gallstones. It was only when my stomach became noticeably bloated and during my yearly pap-smear when my Dr found my Uterus to be enlarged, that he sent me to get an Abdominal ultrasound. They weren't looking for Gallstones but thats what they found.

    Anyway, most peoples gallstone symptoms don't seem to be classic like they Drs expect. Almost everyone I've seen discuss this had "abnormal" symptoms and failed to get diagnosed for a long time and usually only when thing progressed to the point of emergency.

    I just don't want to see you suffer anymore needlessly. Honestly I was pretty sure you had gallstones from your first post on this subject but I would never play "internet Dr" and figured you would eventually get the right diagnosis if you persisted.

    I know you've had so much going on in your life that I'm sure your own health took a back seat. I hope things have settled down and you can put yourself first.

    I'm here for you if you need anything.

[ advertisement ]