Enlarged lymph nodes in underarms anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Dec 31, 2005.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

This may sound like a really goofy question but it has really been bugging me. So I thought I'd post here and see if anyone else has this going on with them.

I was diagnosed with definite fibromyalgia approximately twelve years ago. Then about seven years ago my rehumy told me that he suspected I had the beginnings of CFS as well. Now this rheumy, although I have been really pleased with his treatment of me, is not really big on testing. But I do recall being told by my MD several years ago that I had Epstein Barre Virus, long before any fibro symptoms began.

Lately I seem to be noticing some really uncomfortable, well, actually, downright painful problems, such as sore throats, as well as enlarged lymph nodes in my neck. But by far the most painful are the ones under my arms. At times they feel so big and painful that I find myself holding my arms out a bit and unable to put them down by my side because it simply hurts too much. The fatigue is there too, but this deal with the underarm pain and big lymph nodes is the worst. Does this sound familiar to any of you and if so, what is it?
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

it cleared up. I developed severe CFS for over a year, even though I lean on the FM side. I developed it from staying in a highrise for 5 mths when I already had MCS. It sent me over the top super sick, but I did recover from the acute CFS w/ lots of natural therapies.

FM and MCS is still w/ me, but mostly reduced.

Jeanne
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That swollen lymph nodes are always a sign of infection in the body. There are certain cancers which cause this as well. I would definitely get it checked out. I'm not trying to scare you; it's likely a chronic infection. Most of us, if not all, with CFIDS have chronic infections. They must be addressed in order for us to heal. Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who responded to my post. Mikie, I will make an appt. as soon as my doctor gets back in his office and be checked for infection or anything else which may be "lurking" in my system!

I do have times, and this has gone on for a good while now, when the underarms are so sore that I guess I would almost look like a robot, avoiding putting my arms all the way down because it is so painful and sore. I have tried switching deoderants, but am not sure that anyone would want me to cut deo out completely, ha ha! Noooo, I doubt anyone would appreciate that.

I just get so dagblasted (not a word, I know but better than a swear word, I guess) annoyed with my weirdo body doing it's weirdo tricks! I try so hard to get it into my head that we all have boo-boos and pains and deal with the fibro by pacing myself and not overdoing it. Then something strange like this comes along and I am finding myself searching for lumps and having the worst case scenario, like lymphoma or leukemia threatening my peace of mind.

No, I don't *think* I have either. I really do believe it is Chronic Fatigue and today I feel like a textbook case of a Chronic Fatigue sufferer. Hubby finally broke down and woke me at one and he had been up for hours, doing work on a bit of house renovation. I made it from the bed, to the coffee pot and now I have been here at the computer ever since. It is not that I am not motivated. At least, I don't think it is not. Every move I make now just seems to be so exhausting and has to almost be planned and weighed to decide if it is really worth it or not.

Sounds like depression to a certain degree too, doesn't it? Well, I would not rule out some depression, but only because I still want to feel my age, rather than feeling like I am as old as...what is the name of the Biblical character who lived so long...Methusalah??? Yeah, something close to that. I just want a shadow of the way that I use to feel to come back, and replace this crotchety old lady who has slithered in and taken over my body,LOL!
  5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Mine swell alot.. not under the arms but in my neck, sometimes going into the collar bone area and in the crease of my leg by the groin area. They are swollen now. I started out with EBV and Mono.. It seems like they come up now when I am run-down.. The doctors put me on Anti-bodics when I go in for them.. sometimes they just go down on their own..
    Get it checked out if this isn't a normal thing for you..
    Hugs!
    dona
  6. Angie812

Angie812 New Member

The ones in my neck have been swollen since May. Sometimes they go down, but on bad days they really swell up. Dr. doesn't seem too concerned about them and attributes it to my CFIDS. Nothing else has shown up in my bloodwork except that my B12 level is a little low and I go for B12 shot tomorrow. Hopefully that will bring up energy level a bit.

Never had nodes in armpit swell. I'm sure that is quite uncomfortable.
  7. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I've been wondering about this same thing for a long time!!

I have swollen lymph nodes (I'm assuming they are LN), under my jaw and left arm pit. I just had a mammo and let the tech know. I thought it was my imagination until I had pain on that side when she was doing the mammo. My rhumy ordered a CT for the swollen ones under my jaw, but haven't had it done yet.

I believe it is due to the CFS. I also have high EBV titers, and currently have a reactivated infection. I will wait for my mammo results before I get the CT under my jaw.

Jennifer
  8. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and armpits. My most painful is the large nodes under my "pits". Just a part of this DD):
    Sue
  9. MERLK

MERLK New Member

Thanks for posting this as I have had swollen nodes in my neck behind my head and under my arms. I try so hard to not be a whiner but it has been really hard this winter. My whole body feels like a tin man when I get up. I hurt so bad I have to hold on to the wall to get to the bathroom and then ist seems to take me most of the day to be able to walk normally...boy its hard but thank all of you for helping cause when its really BAD I hope on the board and read and know I am not crazy...I have tried heat on the nodes under the arms and that seems to help some....good luck...check with your doc to rule out any thing else so you can stop worrying at least..
  10. ive had the painful swellings in the arm pitts too,for many years.
    they come and go.when i first started getting them i went to my doctor and she told me that my sweat glands were blocked and that this was causing the lumps..so i left it at that.
    but ive since changed doctors and my new doctor says that its a sign that our immune systems are currently fighting off a infection.i always have the sore redness right at the back of my throat,i do have chronic fatigue syndrome as well as fibromyalgia,this is the signs that doctors look for when we go to a check up.it shows we are in a flare.i remember just before christmas that the lumps had appeared in my arm pitts again,and i had tender areas in my groin.both my kids had glandular fever at that time so i take it that my immune system was again letting me know it was working overtime.
    i occasionally get a large swelling in my neck just below my chin,i dont know what that is but i suppose its connected to the immune system thingy.

all the best
    fran xx
  11. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I have had them really painful and swollen in the neck for the first two years of my illness, then exactly as you describe in armpits, then in the groin - so painful I could hardly walk. I have also had them on the back of my head, near my ovaries and behind my knees. All at different times during the first ten yearsof my illness.

All this was attributed to my CFS. Don't have those problems now just different ones since my illness changed dramatically several years ago.

Best get it checked out just in case though.

Love Bunchy x
  12. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

What a timely post! Just this week I have had the swollen glands in the groin area. Man, is that uncomfortable..and inconvenient when trying to wear pants!
  13. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Yep I've had sore throats and sore lymph nodes (esp. under my arms and my neck) a lot in the last year I've had my illness. I notice it as soon as I start to flare up and it lessens the better I start to feel over-all.
  14. BethW

BethW New Member

Yes, that was one of my earliest symptoms after the flu that never went away. The aching, weakness, sore throat, and pain under arms, groin, and neck. They sometimes swell and then go down. I can see the ones under the jaw with one side of my face and neck larger than the other. I well remember asking the nurse what in the worth that was when I was waiting for the doctor because I did not ever remember pain under my arms before. It has hung around ever since, sometimes less, sometimes more, but always there. The sore throat, knocked out fatigue, painful eyeballs always go along with it. Resting flat and dozing in a darm room are the only things that have ever helped.

I'm sorry you are feeling so sick. It is painful, isn't it? Try to get really deep rest when they are swollen and at their most painful. I'll be thinking of you, BethW
  15. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Oh yes very painful and you could actually see them stcking out of my neck and throbbing sometimes too!

The groin ones looked like I had large peas under my skin and ached sooo bad.

I really would advise as much rest as possible because it really is a sign that your immune system is overburdened in some way.

Hugs,

Bunchy x
  16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Bunchy, I really apologize for not replying sooner. Sometimes I just get the stupids and forget to check and see if I have any messages.

But I have not had any choices to rest more, the fatigue has been overwhelming lately. Not sleeping still, but am doing a lot of lying around and doing nothing! And the lymph nodes do seem to have gone down quite a bit. I am also confining myself to the house until warmer weather gets here. So I have become lazy, hermit woman, ha ha!