Enviromental Sensitivity/Allergies Air Purifier Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Des2nee, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

Anyone with allergies or sensitivities that have GOOD experiences with air purifiers?

Im a renter and since day one we cannot get the dust out of here. We have cleaned the carpets, vacum carpets and furniture frequently, dust all the time. The biggie is the MOLD!!

Its grows around all the windows. I wipe the window frames with bleach and water all the time and I cant kill it. The walls are wet and soft in the corners. When you walk in through the security door on many days you can smell the moldy musty smell. Many times I can taste that smell in the back of my throat.

The basement is like a science project. When it rains the paint on the cinder block walls looks like bubble gum bubbles or a pregnant tummy. The rain pours from the balcony above like a waterfall because the gutters are blocked. My dining area ceiling is water stained from a leak. I figure by next spring the ceiling will be on the floor.

OR...

My pot smoking neighbor who tries to cover it with the most HORRID smelling incense. Its not the fact that hes smoking. Just pick a better scent!!

Im stuck here another year as I cannot afford the $1500.00 quote to have my things moved right now. The landlord is well aware of all of this but chooses to do nothing.

We bought 2 purifiers from Sharper Image but Im not sure they worked all that well...they did remove alot...but died...got sent back for repair...died again...repaired...and once again died.

Anyone buy an Oreck? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Have a great day!

~Des
  2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I have a lifewise purifier (after my honeywell died, loudly.) and it seems to be working really well for me. We have a lot of dust in our house and it seems to catch a lot of it. The only complaint I have about it is it can seem a bit loud at times, but other than that, it's great :D
  3. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

Thank you Nerdieduckie for the quick response. Ill look into one of those.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I bought one of these, and it worked fine for about 10 years. You're supposed to change the filter after five, but I'm gone a lot and so I didn't use it on a consistent basis.

Recently I had a big construction project done in my house and decided to replace it. They now make ones that filter out toxic chemicals as well as dust, allergens, smoke, etc, and so I bought that one. I don't know if there's a difference between the two.

I think the original one worked well. It certainly cleaned out any smoke (e.g. from cooking) from the whole house in about five minutes. (My house is about 2500 sf, and the kitchen is far from the bedroom where I use it.)

They're noisy, but it's a good white noise. Blocks out all other sounds so that I sleep better.

The best thing about it (apart from the durability) is that you don't have to change the filter for five years. The filters are almost as expensive as the machines when you do change them, though.

I think it would handle mold fine, and I'm sure it would get rid of the incense with no problem.

The cost is something like $300 to $500, depending on the size you get and whether you want the one that filters out the toxic chemicals.

I've not heard anything positive about the Sharper Image ones from health care professionals, although they certainly are popular.

I realized belatedly that there was a huge amount of dust etc. in my forced air vent system. I should have had those cleaned years ago, and will do so now every couple of years. That may not be an option for you even if that's the kind of heating/cooling that you have, though.
  5. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

Forced air heating is not an issue here. We have baseboards here. Had we been aware that there was so much mold in this building we would not have moved in. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders!

Many buildings here have or have had major water damage. If they would only do simple basic upkeep and maint. Like cleaning the gutters out. Funny thing is...its the 1st floor apts. that have all the problems, not the upstairs.

Thanks again! Im off to take a look at the Austins!

~Des
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

If you cannot move out can you at least contact a local housig representative to see if it is legal to put your payment into escrow until improvements are made as they are damaging your health & health of your family?

Is there a housing inspector that could come into the building & do a health inspection on the mold?

I'd ask around for Help, big time & quick!

very best thoughts
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I have 2 Hunter air purifiers. They have HEPA filters.

I purchased them from a Lowe's home improvement store. I just love them!

We have had them for about 4 years and have never had any problems.

Janet
  8. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

Ephemera - I had this huge long post all typed out, hit post this reply...got the sign in screen again and all was lost. So the short version is...the city inspector came through in March or April. I came home as they were leaving my apartment. I had no idea what transpired but I thought for sure they would get dinged on all my windows, my ceiling, the wall corners and the nastiness in the basement. (there is much more than I mentioned) He came back mid August to see if the made needed repairs. (Now we had complained that we couldnt use our sliding door `cause the screen door was so hard to slide open that after about 6 inches it would just fall off. So they had showed up to replace it in July sometime. Now its so loose it falls off <rolls eyes>) Okay...you ready...The one and only thing they were dinged on here in my apartment was my screen sliding door did not slide easily......tadaaaa.

I think the city inspector must either be getting some kind of kickback or hes on better stuff then my neighbor.

The sad part is, myself, my room mate and the guy across the hall (Mr. Incense) are the only ones who pay our rent. On time and in full. He never calls them for anything. He doesnt want them coming in, plus he works nights. When we say anything to the office about anything that needs repairs, we are just B*s. Dont even get me started on the ones upstairs!!!

This place has gotten really bad the past couple of years. Employees stealing and everything. Its horrible and they sit in the office in complete denial. I know someone who works here that tells me everything. I dont tell them that. I had been missing meds(narcotics) and I thought it was just me and my fibro fog again. Xmas presents for my son (playstaion games) went missing. We thought we must have misplaced them. Then he gets busted for stealing.

Can ya tell Im into a real doozy of a flare, slept 3 hours last night, room-mate is gone for 2 more months so I have no help here, company is coming friday, whole place needs cleaned, Im stressed and its after 1:30am already??!! But Im happy!!! :eek:) Not happy to be here. I will try to get out of this lease come spring time. I know my PMD will be behind me. Im gonna get some pictures with the next good rain for some proof!

jlh - thanks added that one to my list also. Lowes is 5 mins. down the road.

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. Im trying to get myself out to look around the end of this week to see what I can afford and find. The weather is getting cooler here in NY now and I know Im gonna have to close everything up.

Need to go night night and stop babbling...actually my zanaflex has kicked in...I need to lay down and stare at the darkness to wonder how much sleep ill get this morning! This place gets me so wound up! Ahhhhh.....how I love Fibro!

(((night all))) ~Des
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I Have a couple of Blu Air cleaners which are pretty good, but the best thing it the air cleaner they put on your furnace. You can call a Heating and Air conditioning company and asked about electronic air filters that go on the furnace.

[ advertisement ]