EOS what is this on a blood count?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blessedmom2four, Jul 22, 2006.

1. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

if any one knows can you please fill me in...thanks in advance
  2. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

I NOTICED THAT IT WAS HIGH ON MY BLLOD WORK 0.0-0.4 WAS NORMAL AND MINE WAS 0.9.No one ever said anything

Eosinophils are a type of white blood cell. White blood cells help fight infection in your body. Although the exact role of eosinophils is unclear, they're associated with allergic diseases and certain types of infection. Rarely, eosinophils increase for no apparent reason (hypereosinophilic syndrome, or HES). Conditions and medications that can cause an elevated eosinophil count include:

Eczema
    Leukemia
    Autoimmune diseases
    Asthma
    Hay fever (allergic rhinitis)
    Parasitic infestations
    Amphetamines
    Tranquilizers
    Bulk-type laxatives containing psyllium
    Certain antibiotics
    A normal eosinophil count is less than 350 cells per microliter of blood. Signs and symptoms of an elevated count vary widely but may include:

Persistent cough
    Night sweats
    Fatigue
    Decreased appetite
    Unexplained weight loss
    Abdominal pain and bloating, vomiting
    Over time, elevated numbers of eosinophils can accumulate in the heart and other organs, which can lead to nerve damage, heart failure, lung disease and blood clots. Treatment of a high eosinophil count is directed at the underlying cause when known. Some people with HES who have eosinophil counts benefit from imatinib (Gleevec).