eosinophils

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HagerTX, Feb 2, 2006.

1. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Anyone else have chronically high eosinophil levels on your CBC?
  2. ourplanet

ourplanet New Member

you do realize that eosinophils are most often associated with parasitic infections, right?
  3. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

From what I've read and heard it's just as much on the allergic side as parasitic.
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

I've got a strange history. I don't fit the FM or CFS type profile but I do have ongoing fatigue amidst stomach and neurological problems.

I've had cramps and diarrhea largely for about 9 years. Had a seemingly neuro-toxic reaction to Cipro in 1998 which may have led to a stroke and/or vasculitis of the CNS later in 1998.

85% of CBC's run since 1998 have shown a mildly elevated level of EOS. When I had a set of endoscopies, the biopsies indicated a moderately elevated level of eosinophils from the colon and ileum. Not such a level that's a classic case of eosinophilic gastroenteritis but elevated nonetheless.

Turns out I have an allergic type stomach--allergic to wheat and food with high mold content. (Allergy skin testing showed positive for wheat and a one test from a celiac blood test panel was positive). Many foods with certain flavonoids also seem to give me trouble, so I have a strict diet.

Anyway, the type of clinical findings don't seem to fit any normal type of auto-immune disease so most doctors haven't speculated what's wrong other than 'suspected widespread auto-immune activity'. My current doctor has seen similar cases and thinks there is inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain. He prescribed Plaquenil to see if that may help... Since eosinophils are usually high in my CBC and were once the primary focus of my stomach biopsies, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has had an elevated level.

5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

They've done a lot of testing. I've seen about 45-50 doctors, most of which have been seen in an effort to get a diagnosis.

I've had all the GI testing, stool testing, cultures, biopsies, colonoscopy (and upper endoscopy). They've found enough to know something isn't right and the opinions vary from doc to doc.

So far we haven't seen any anemia. In the early years I read some stuff relating to CFS and magnesium deficiencies, so I asked them to test for B-12 levels, magnesium and a few others but they were all in range. The most eye opening thing that popped up in 2001 was a high ANA level, it's either 640:1 or 1280:1 depending on the lab. Since I don't have a high sed rate or any joint/muscle pain, they are skeptical to diagnose me with Lupus or SLE.

It's been a tough, weird ordeal for sure, but I know everyone on this board can identify with the pain and struggle with a chronic illness.
  6. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd considered Mayo back in 1999/2000. For whatever reasons, the wait was ~12 months to get in. Maybe since my symptoms were widespread they wanted me to see an internist, neuro, gastro and perhaps someone else. They told me to plan to stay there 5-6 weeks. I haven't really looked at it since then, but I may do that if the next few months don't show any answers or improvement. The finances aren't really there but I might be able to muster something up