Epi Durals.( Spelling) Anyone like them or had one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dolfenn43, Aug 12, 2006.

1. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

I had an epidural in my low back for terrible pain 2-3 months ago. It was heaven for 4 wks. Back pain GONE.

Its worn off and now Im getting pain, pretty serere again most on my right SI jopint. Im ready for another. Do they do them on the SI joint. (Low back on the right side?)

Has anyone here ever had one or had them more than once? Please tell me your experience.

dolfenn
  2. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Dolfenn:

Glad that your shot helped. I am guessing that it contained a steroid of some kind and that the inflammation that was causing pressure on your SI nerve root was resolved for the 4 weeks. That can be good news...as the epidural gave you some relief.

I have had about 100 epidurals over the years (I later found that this is way too many) all the way up and down my spine. I have also had nerves "frozen" with cryo surgery to get them to shrink and hopefully resolve the patern of inflammation and pain. I have had shots done with what is called fluoroscopy, which is like an x-ray, but the doctor can use it to "see" what he is doing, and where the steroid is going. The problem with that procedure is that in order to find the right spot, you will have to endure what I can only call excruiciating pain, like a very strong electrical shock. That tells them that they are in the correct spot. I have had many great doctors do the epidurals, and one not so good one done by a Kaiser Anesthesiologist. I guess I am saying, be very careful.

If you use the 3 shot recommendation that most orthos will tell you, you might want to wait a bit longer before you get your next shot...as you will most likely only have one more (in the same spot). Some pain management clinics will try to give you more shots above and below the problem area, but they most likely will not be as effective. You also have to worry about potential side affects...you could have what is really leakage of the spinal fluid, which could give you a spinal headache. Fortunately, they can do what is called a "patch" which has become very successful at ending spinal headaches.

Be careful, and find out as much as you can about the doctor that will be administering the epidural, and also find out what medication they are using...perhaps since your first shot worked for 4 weeks, and they apparently found the right "spot" you could have a larger dose of the steroid. The good part of this kind of shot is that the steroid is only used where it is needed, and therefore you do not usually have the bad side affects you can get with oral steroids.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have had some really intense pain from injections of steriods so I don't ever want them again. I was a klutz about 6 yrs ago and fell off a step and broke my ankle and leg with hair line fractures . I was put in a boot and after 6 weeks the pain was not gone so my doctor gave me a shot of a steriod in my ankle joint and DANG that was the most painfull thing I had felt in a long time , it burned like I had liquid lava in my veins and ankle. I felt it buring me for days and the pain did not ever go away.

I thought that after a couple of days it would ease up but I was wrong. I hurt worse from that shot of steriods than I did after I had to have surgery on that ankle.

And even then during the surgery the doctor put a steriod in the open ankle joint and my muscles and tendons started to twitch when it touched then and the fashia twisted in to a knot. I still have the knot but the pain has eased up and it only hurts now when I over do it.
    I was offered by my pain doctor to have the steriod epidural and I declined it as I had done some reseacrh by then and I found out that when you have a back injury that is the time when the Epidurals work the best .

And when you repeat them it needs to be with in a six month time frame of the injury for it to work the best. And my back was injured over 15 years ago so the odds of it working for me were really LOW and with the results I have had I am not to use steriods any more.

I am glad that it worked for you.You should wait at least 4 months before having another epidural. AS too much of the steriods can cause other problems for you.
    Rosemarie
  5. lightnerbride

lightnerbride New Member

I had 2 low-back pain epidurals that well the first one did nothing and the second made me worse so don't plan to go that route ever again. I've had anesthestic epidural for several surgical procedures and had no problem with them.
    A
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have read many medical reports on patients who had them.

Seems to be like almost everything else discussed here. Helps some, but not all.
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My husband had back surgery in April. After surgery he continued to have pain and it was discovered he has a synovial cyst that occurred after the surgery.

The doctor did a new MRI and discovered the "synovial cyst". Anyway, they did the first steroid shot two weeks ago and so far all pain is gone. They said the shot is "time released" so I guess after a few weeks it could wear off.

The doctor's office has called twice and will hold off further shots unless he has pain again. We hope that does not happen. The doctors office has stressed for him to be very careful, even though he has no pain, to not overdo it.

My husband has been resting more and really taking care of himself. He did very well with the injection. They even gave him a photo of the x-ray done during the injection.

His surgery was in the lumbar area.
    By the way, the clinic we went to is supposed to be one of the best located in Culver City,CA. It is called Kerlan-Jobe. They have a excellent website with alot of information. We saw Dr. Dillen.

I also want to share the experience my brother had last month:

This was not good. He is in a HMO insurance plan. They approved three injections. (He has degenerative disc disease in neck and shoulder area).
    After first injection he was much better, no pain.

Without even asking how he was doing, they just proceeded to do the second injection after a few weeks.

When the second injection was done, he exploded in pain. That was unable to sleep and for 4 nights and developed severe anxiety.

I begged him to call the doctor which he did. At that point, he said he was suicidal and felt like throwing himself off the balcony of his apartment.

Somehow they also had him on cortisone pills. I don't understand what happened but bottom line is, these shots are serious business and can have side effects for some people. Even a psychotic reaction (which is rare).

He is still anxious sometimes, the doctor gave him Xanax for severe anxiety.

[This Message was Edited on 08/12/2006]
  8. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

i WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THE GOOD INFO.

tHEY DID TELL ME ABOUT THE 3 SHOT SPACED OUT IN A MONTH APART OR SO. bUT THEY ACTED LIKE IT HAD TOO MANY SIDE EFFECTS. i DONT THINK THEY REALIZED THE SEVERE PAIN OR SOMETHING.

i WAS TOLD ABOUT POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS. oNE BEING THE SEVERE ANEXITY. wHICH i HAD BAD ANEXITY ONE TIME WITH ORAL STEROIDS FOR BRONCHITIS. sO i WAS GIVIN xANAX TO GO HOME WITH AFTER THE EPIDURAL. i WAS MUCH MORE AFRAID OF THE ANEXITY AFTER T THE SHOT THAN THE PAIN OF THE SHOT ITS SELF.

mINE WAS DONE WITH THE FLORASOPY. anD THE RELIEF OF THE PAIN WAS, WELL WORDS CANT EVEN DESCRIBE. pPAINLESS IN MY LOWBACK IT WAS ALMOST INSTANT SELIEF. i WAS DEVASTATED WHEN THE PAIN CAME BACK SO SOON.

i WANT TO KNOW WHY THEY DONT OFFER ME THE 3 SHOT IN A ROW THING?

i GO TO THE DOCTOR TUESDAY AND DIFFENTLY WILL ASK.

i ONLY HOPE iF i DO GET THEM i WONT BE DISAPPOINTED CUZ i HAD SUCH GOOD RELIEF WITH THE FIRST ONE.

fIBRO IS BAD ENOUGH BUT THIS OTHER PAIN IS KEEPING ME IN BED 24/7.

tHANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO

dOLFENN