Epidiral shots in the cervical spine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Aug 11, 2009.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Has anyone had these shots to relieve pain? I had my first two shots last Thursday. Man that wasn't very comfortable. Now I'm in a terrible flare and I haven't noticed any reduction in the pain in my arms. On top of which, I fell terrible all over.

I don't really understand this pain doc. He thinks I have Myofacial Pain Syndrome and Degenereative Disc disease. My family Dr says that I also have the FM that was diagnosed 5 years ago. MY arms, while they do cause pain, are only a drop in the bucket when it comes to the pain of everything else.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. I don't want to continue with these shots if they're not going to provide some relief.

2. water_mad

water_mad New Member

I really dont want to scare you but you should go and do some research into the possible side effects and likelyhood of things going wrong before you proceed much further.

I might be telling a lot of rubbish but this is all stuff i have found out post LP's. There is quite a high risk of the hole they make into your spinal column not sealing, some will seal on their own in a few days - weeks and a significant minority of those holes wont seal on their own. The numbers seem small until you realise how many of these things they perform a year so the small percent is actually a big number of people.

I walked into a hospital in 1998 and had a routine LP which then resulted in me being very ill for 8 years with headaches and sickness. I then had another one in 2005 the leak in my spine then got very big and i was extreamly ill for 4 weeks in hospital until they fixed it with a blood patch from my arm. This they have had to do 4 times since as my spine keeps leaking. The result of all of this is i am now a paraplygic as they damaged my spine at L2.

Sticking needles into your spine is really dangerous, they tell you there is no risk but stastics say otherwise, they then told me putting my own blood into my spinal column was without risk as it was my own blood, this is also wrong as there isnt supposed to be blood in the spinal column and the body reacts against it and causes damage.

I would really have to be getting really significant releaf to be even considering more holes in the spine.

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I have not had the shots but have considered them

I too have MPS and DDD, and FMS

I have had a steroid injection in upper back

A few weeks after it, I started to develop facial numbness - had MRI, neurological exam, nothing

Don't know if they are connected or not, but you just never know
  4. msSusan

msSusan Member

I was wondering if your procedure was done using FLUOROSCOPIC GUIDANCE which is supposed to be a better way of doing the epidurals.

I had a cervical epidural done 4 years ago without FLUOROSCOPIC GUIDANCE and I was in much more pain (for approx. 2 weeks afterwards) with no pain control w/vicodin!

I was also wondering what type of side effects you may be experiencing from the steroids that were injected. I was told I shouldn't take oral steroids because I have mood issues from daily Valium so what's going to happen to me on long acting injected steroids?!!

5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi there:

Well after the series of 3, the only thing I notice is less tingling in my arms. Still having the pain and muscle spasms, but he said they couldn't fix that. Well the tingling, isn't whats causing pain.

This last shot was terrible. Extremely painful, couldn't get the needle into the spinal space because my muscles were tense. He kept telling me to ease them, but I wasn't aware that I was making them tight.

So he jabbed and hit bone, and jabbed again. Then proceeded to manuall try to get the muscles out of the way.

After a few days.....back into a flare. Pretty useless.

I think I'll put a stop to more needles...don't really need more pain.

Take Care
  6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

OMG.....I can feel the pain as I read your post! Years ago, a nurse gave me a shot for the RH neg after my one child and she hit my hip bone! I never forgot the pain 30+ years later.

Then, a doctor did a "discogram" on me inserting a needle through the front of my neck into a disc........I screamed and it turned out the procedure was useless!

I am so sorry you went through all of that.

It is so sad we have to be our own police when it comes finding treatments that will work for us.

Thank-you for sharing your experience.
  7. Omacarole

Omacarole New Member

I've had many shots in cervical and lumbar, also dx'd with DDD, Spinal Stenosis, arthritis and I've had a Laminectomy and also a C6 fusion in my neck. My Pain Management Dr puts everyone to sleep very lightly and is done in a Surgi Center. Dr has also burned the nerve endings in lower back. I get so much pain and I don't know if it's from Fibro or my spine. Dr has given me Oxycodone PRN. I will never have anymore epidurals or burnings because it only gives me about 2-3 weeks pain free. Since I've had so many steroids, I bruise terribly, ugly purple spots like 80-97 year olds get and I'm 66, but it's happening since I was 60. The neurosurgeon and orthopedic Drs are ready any time I am to have a fusion in my spine, but I'm afraid of feeling worse after the surgery....pain pills sound better to me (when they're working.)

Hope your epidurals work for you!

8. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

been through this, and its not fun! Before I had back surgery I had the series of three in my lumbar spine; it didn't help me either, and back then my copay was $100 for each shot! Anyways, you have to jump through the hoops they tell you to. I've been through those, numerous PT sessions, tp injections, you name it! The dr. gets to the point where they finally have to admit that they can't cure you, just give you meds. I'm glad you're done, and now you know never to do those again!
  9. HarleyRidingGal

HarleyRidingGal New Member

I had 3 shots this year. The first shot was so incredibly painful that I literally could not walk for 3 days afterward and sent me into a terrible flair. Plus, I got exactly 5 hours of reduced pain. But only slight. Did they ask you to keep a pain journal afterwards?

The second injection did absolutely nothing and same with the third.

They were all addressing different spine issues but did nothing but make me to never, ever do that again.

I have also had shots in my knee and hands and they did nothing for me either. Of course, those were years ago.

I have degen disc disease and degen joint disease and it seems pretty standard to want to try the needles.

I definitely won't speak for others. In fact, I'm hoping that someone will write that they benefited from these painful treatments.

My pain doc told me that they generally work about 30% of the time. Not sue if that's accurate, I believed it though given my past experience.

Hugs to you.

10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Sorry for the very late response, but I don't get on here much. Sometimes on the chat room. But mainly on FB. LOL.

I have decided that I do not want any more of these needles. The last one left my in worse condition and I'm not going to let him do anything else to other parts that require the shots.

It is just plain too risky and your chance of complicatons increase the more needles you get. After that third one.. no way not for me.

I sure hope that down the road they can come up with a better way to treat degenerative disease, but it sure isn't there yet.

Hugs back

11. loto

loto Member

I had one a few years ago after I had back surgery. I had it in my lumbar spine area, and when the dr. was giving it to me he stated it looked like "something" was in the way. I now think that "something" was scar tissue.
    Anyway, the day after I got the shot, I was in HORRIFIC pain! Worse than before I had the shot. I've heard these shots do help people, but it made me worse! I had to miss a few days of work, and do nothing but take muscle relaxers and lay on the couch flat on my back.
    I will NEVER try shots again!!!!

12. loto

loto Member

good advice to pass along!

13. loto

loto Member

I can't believe they did that to get the needle in! Did they not give you valium before they did the injection?
    While the shot I got made my pain worse, I remember they at least gave me valium first to relax my muscles!

That sounds so cruel!