Epidural Procedure Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mtnfla, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

This afternoon I have the first procedure of set of three..I'm not sure what to expect from this but hopefully RELIEF would be nice..Hate it that they are doing it late in the day,haven't been able to eat after midnight and I worked last night and we had a cookout and it smelt so darn good...It's being done as a out patient so I have to be there at 1 pm,not sure how long it will take but was told I would not be able to go to work tonight due to the sedation..I hate getting IV, I'm a hard stick and it usually take 4-5 tries before they can get it in..The second procedure will be next friday and than the friday after that.Just praying that it helps,I tried about almost everything there is to do I think...Tired of feeling ill and yucky the only good thing that has come out of me being sick and in pain all the time I have gone from 286 to 225 in a year,had my first mini stroke 7/23/04 and my health has been down hill since than..Had another stroke back in April and thought I was having one of my hemiplegic migraines and didn't think much about it and just laid in bed and than had another MRI to check teh status of the brain cyst and that is when the noticed new finding that showed a mini stroke again...Well sorry I got carried away,hope everyone has a good weekend and I'll post later..
    marianne
  2. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Sending healing thoughts your way. You sure have a lot on your plate to deal with. Please be sure that someone is home to take care of you this evening.....maybe plan a "clear foods" supper like broth, soda crackers, jello, gingerale (ginger helps settle stomach). Soft boiled egg and toast?

Hope all goes well! nature
  3. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Am having my second epidural in a series of three today at 11:30. This doc doesn't give any sedation (don't know why really). Mine is a cervical epidural.

The last one wasn't too bad painwise. I can eat a little bit before. Last time my hand turned all black and blue from putting the IV in the top of my hand. He said he can move that to the arm. Also, since I had a pretty severe headache, he said I can have a shot of Toradol (anti-inflammatory) for the local pain caused when they go through the nerve bundles. He also mentioned taking Ibuprofen when I called him a few days ago. After the last procedure, I felt lousy for three days and then good for a week and now have a headache again. This, for me, is the last try for something non-invasive before I go to an ortho and see what surgery would involve. The headaches are the worst of the complications from ruptured disks, etc.

Hope you have a good experience and that it helps a great deal.
    Val
  4. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

Thanks for the replies and prayers...Mine was the cervical type also,I can't imagine going through it without sedation.
    I go for the second one next Friday and than 1 more the Friday after that,one thing I can say I have enjoyed the sleep that came afterwards was very nice to have that type of rest again just wish it would last..This is also the last step before thinking of surgery,I have several protruding discs in my neck the c-6&c-7 are causing flattening and narrowing of the spinal cord on the right side.So far today I feel pretty good,but still kind of groggy mine was done around 2pm and wasn't able to eat after midnight (expect Jello at 3am I had for lunch at work) bummer too cause that was the night the over night mgrs decided to do the cookout for going 45 nights accident free..The next series of shots will be done in the morning time about 11:30 am,I work the night before the procedure and take the night of procedure off than back to work the following night..I wish I could talk them into giving me one in my lower back,it still hurts like heck I sprained it over a week ago and waiting to see the ortho Dr for it,cause after a week of bed rest which drove me nuts I'm still having alot of pain and discomfort from that...Val, have you asked why they are not giving you an IV sedation when doing the procedure?I had the trigger point injection shots and the nerve block in the head and let me tell ya that was no picnic,especially when they did the injection in the head it was a strange feeling and sounded like glass shattering it kinda freaked me out...Hope you do well on these injections and get relief without having to have surgery.I will keep you in my prayers,along with many others like my coworker Kim.i ran into her yesterday at the hospital,she had to have a double masectomy(both breast) had to be removed.She told the Dr she had felt a lump,but the mammogram didn't detect anything wrong so a weeks later she noticed another one in the other breast and still nothing on the mammogram,but this time the Dr was able to feel them and ordered biospies and sure enough cancer.Considering what she has been through,she looking good and holding it together quite well she was starting Chemo yesterday and has a long road ahead of her...Well think I'm going to put on a load of laundry and lie down again and take a nap.Hope everyone is having a good day and taking care of themself...
    Marianne

5. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

....I've been thinking about you and hoping the procedure went well. Sounds like you did pretty good.....and hey, don't we all love it when we get that much needed sleep!

I can really empathize with the bed rest thing. I broke my L5 in a car accident when I was 20 yrs old, and was on bed rest for 3 1/2 months!!! Hope things continue to improve for you.....

Wishing you well,
    nature
  6. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Hi Marianne,
    Well, I'm kind of sore on the left side of my neck and upper back from the cervical epidural. I'm thinking the shot of Toradol he gave me might have helped a little. I'm pretty sleepy today for some reason. Guess anything like those procedures are a little traumatic for the body. This anesthesiologist doesn't like to use sedation because he wants his patient to be able to tell him if they have a reaction to the placement of the steroid. Last time I felt a sharp tingle down my arm. This time I didn't feel any particular sensation like that - just a lot of pressure where the medication was going in.

I've had the occipital block in the base of the skull (again without sedation). That was very uncomfortable actually hearing the needle pushing through whatever and I got lightning type bolts in the head also.
    Here's hoping we both feel some lasting relief from the injections.
    Val
  7. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

I'm still kinda drowsy some what ,but had to get up and do a load of laundry so I'll have something clean to where to work tonight..Really don't feeel up to going,having a tenderness and pain in the area where the neck connects to the back and in the shoulder blades.Guess it goes with the injections we are getting...I know what you mean about the oppical block with no sedation,that feeling was not cool with me at all and the feeling of something shattering in your head was way to freaky for me..I think I like the sedation afterall,that way I don't have to hear and feel that stuff and go into one of my anxiety attacks..Granted I was feeling one coming on once they put the oxygen tube in my nose and told me to go ahead and put my forehead down,and before it could get a good start a sweet nice voice said to me "I'm giving you some medication now" than I woke up in recovery...I have had a few procedure /surgery done in the pass,so it was strange to hear lay on your stomach once you are on the table...Opps looks like I got carried away,SORRY....Going for now,might pop in tonight for a little bit before going to work if not I'll pop in tomorrow..You all take care and stay safe..
    Marianne
  8. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

I should have gone with my first instinct last night and took the night of from work due to the fact I was having muscle spasms and sharp pain between the shoulder blades,but no I wanted(scary thought) to go to work...It was kinda put in a nice way in the meeting(10pm) that no one would be allowed to go home early cause there was way too much to do..By 2am I was in extreme pain and had already took the methadone pill,but couldn't take the muscle relaxer due to the fact it puts me to sleep.At 3 am (lunch time) I took a nap with an ice pack on the neck/back area and had my friend make sure I wasn't late clocking back in.By 6 am I was trying my best to hide from everyone,anyone and than went to personal office and did a time adjustment on next week schedule to take the day after teh procedure off too,cause I'm not going to go through that again and have the big friggin headache I have right now.I was going to treat my hubby to lunch and a movie but if I don't get rid of the headache and the muscle ache it looks like sandwhiches and a movie on the dvd player..Hope everyone is having a good weekend..Take care,Marianne
  9. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Maybe it might be worth a try to see if they will give you a Toradol shot for the inflammation when you go for the next injections. They can put it right into the IV. It seemed to make a difference for me. The ice is important too, I believe to calm down the area. I don't have the headache this time, so maybe the shot helped. I am pretty sore when I turn my head and the area is very tender to the touch.

I asked about the expectations for this series of three shots and he hoped they would help for months. I sure hope so. I take Avinza time-released morphine. It doesn't work miracles on bad days, but does help the pain level in general. I had too much nausea on Methadone. I'm very fortunate that I was granted SSI disability over a year ago because of a variety of diagnoses. We live quite frugally, but that's ok, I've never been a real materialistic person anyway. Hoping you get some good relief.
    Val
  10. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

I'll keep it short,by now you probably read my new post SEVERELY BAD HEAD PAIN,if not read it when you get a chance it will catch you up to date on what's going on with me..I'm writting to see how your 2nd epadural went and see how you are in general..I did get the toradal shot without even having to ask for it,but some how still woke up with an 8 on the pain scale plus B/P was up .I'm sure it was casue of the pain I was in...Had plans to go out of town this weekend but Dr advised against it told me it would be safer to stay close to home..Maybe if the weather is nice I can talk the hubby to take me to the Zoo,been awhile since I've gone and they have added more attractions I hear...Well going to try to get back to bed,so I hope you have a nice weekend and take care and talk to you later..
    Marianne
  11. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

HI Asatramp,
    It is a bit scary that is for sure,after what I have gone through this past week hubby has became overly concerned (being more caring/smpathizing with my needs)shame it had to come to this to get him to show it..I know he cares about me and loves me also (24th Anniversary in 25 more days)I know this had been hard on him and he keeps to themselves,but he finally shared with me this morning that he is scared and afraid for me to do much of anything,cause he can't endured much more.Not knowing from one day to the next will bring and the this past week bringing something new and happening twice in 1 week is scarying the crap out of us all (family) was with my Dad and niece when it happen the first time and with the Dr,nurses,anthesologist when it hit the second time..It's a pain it wish upon anyone and they only way I can describe it is, I was having a conversation and out of no where I get this acrusating pain in the top of my head like knives being jabbed into my skull,while at the same time having a vise squeezing sensation at he same time and can't hardly talk or open my eyes cause the pain was way too intense and way over the 10 scale they use on the pain chart more like 12+...I did notice 1 thing it happen just about 48 hrs apart,so I'm praying it won't happen again tomorrow or ever again..I'm so exhausted from this week and very likely will I be going to work tonight and Thank God I'm off tomorrow...Opps I got carried away.sorry...Take care and have a nice weekend. Marianne