Epidural Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JP, Feb 8, 2003.

1. JP

JP New Member

I just had a total of 9 cc's of the anesthetic Lidocaine and a steroid, cortisone (I think) and one other pain type medication I am not familiar with on 2/6/03. I did not think to pre-ask too much about the injection, as I wanted to try it. If I knew too much I would have canceled again. So, I trusted the information that I had and the experience was quite positive and not too painful. I think it is too soon to tell if I will get pain relief from this injection. What is happening is that I am not sleeping. I can only assume it is the cortisone. Has anyone had this experience? How long were you wired, so to speak?? I need sleep and I do not like this feeling of being speedy. Actually the alertness during the day is fine, if I could turn it off...that would be better.

Thanks, Jan
  2. sudon

sudon New Member

I had the series of three - 2 shots each time...once a week...for three weeks....wouldn't do it again....lasted a few days then it was just like I never had them.
  3. JP

JP New Member

Sorry to hear that the epidural's did not help. I hear good and bad. I am hoping that someone can give me an idea of when I might expect to sleep. The cortisone has had me going for 3 days with very little sleep. I have the same experience with oral prednisone and have never had an injection. I will check in with the doctor on Monday if I am still in high gear.

Thank you for your reply...Jan
  4. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I have an 1 epidural and 2 selective nerve blocks done at pain management every 6 to 8 weeks. Been doing it for about 1 1/2 years. I take a muscle relaxer every night before bed so I can go to sleep. I take Soma. Did they sedate you at all during the procedure? I usually leave the clinic flying high as a kite. lol. My appts are always on Thursdays and by Saturday I am as pain free as I think I can be. How long it lasts varies. Sometimes the relief has lasted a month and other times only through that first weekend. Have you called the doc that did the procedure to inform them that you are not sleeping? They will know what safe measures you can take in order to get some sleep. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer anymore of you questions
    Ciao
    Sandy