Epsom Salt Baths?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by code34me, Apr 10, 2006.

1. code34me

code34me New Member

Anyone ever use Epsom Salt to soak in? I was feeling very bad the other day and for some reason I felt like taking a bath. I looked under the bathroom sink for some bath salts my sister in law makes and had threw them out because I never take a bath. I am to tall for a regualr tub. I found some Epsom Salt and thought hmm well I will give it a try. I had heard of people soaking in it before somewhere?

I had took all my meds prior to bath and when I was done I felt sooo good! Is this something anyone here does? Is it safe to use alot?

Right after that bath I went to read a book of mine called "The Fibromyalgia Handbook" it is a 7 step program to halt and even reverse fibromyalgia. One of the first steps is to use moist heat twice dailey for 10 to 20 minutes everyday with out fail. Like hot shower, hot bath tub, wirlpool, warm moist towel or cloth or heated pool.

I have just started this book and had just taken my bath and got to the part about moist heat and thought OH! One part in there says "You may ignore every treatment suggested in this book, but DO NOT IGNORE using moist heat, twice daily.

So I had a lightbulb moment and dont know much about Epsom Salts? I had read somewhere to rinse off after a warm bath to ensure toxins released from bath were rinsed off so I did that! But other wise clueless.

Take care of you! Codey
  2. joanng

joanng New Member

I've heard about these and actually sent my husband out today to get me some so when I get home tonight, I'm going to soak. I know how good a hot shower feels so the bath has to be better....I don't think they can be harmful, the problem just might be we'll be in the tub so much, that no one else will be able to use the bathroom! Right now, I hurt so bad, I just can wait to get home.
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Epsom salt baths are an excellent way to detox as well as make you feel better. It's the magnesium. There have been a ton of posts on this board about them. You must make sure that the water is plenty hot, and that you are well hydrated before getting in, because you will sweat. Stay in for at least 20 minutes. You may feel faint when you get out. If you're feeling too badly while in the tub, get out as fast and as safely as you can. Don't want to scare you, but people have been know to pass out or fall asleep in the tub. Many people feel the need to lie down after getting out. I am sometimes effected in this way, but not always.
  4. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I was watching a home and garden show the other week
    and they had on how to make your own Bath salts.

They used just plain salt you get for your water softner ( I have that )and add oils (lavender ) or rose petals,etc,,,,

I make my own mixes as I have a friend that sells the
    oils. found out it cheaper for me to make them then to pay her for a small bottle...

Glad I was channel surfing that day.

I live for my hot salts bath everyday sometimes twice
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

in your bath is a good thing. It's a lovely muscle relaxer. I try to get in a soak every evening.

I don't measure. I just toss in not quite a handful under the running water. Check the package also. It has more concise directions on it's use.

I also add essential oils and almond oil to the water. I feel good, the room smells wonderful, and my skin gets a good pampering!

Most times, I just use epsom salt, but once in a while I get fancy with a recipie I found while surfing for bath salts: 3 parts Epsom salts
    2 parts baking soda
    1 part Dead Sea salt

Add essential oils of your choice. Heaven!

Hope this helps,

teacher

6. code34me

code34me New Member

I have only done this for two nights now and am wondering how I ever did without baths! My next investment will be a jacuzzi tub for sure! I get in the bath and just feel the pain and stiffness going away. I keep thinking about taking a bath all day now!

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was safe to use everyday? Did not want to do more harm than good (you know what I mean)

Thanks again! Take care of you! Codey
  7. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Do a search on this board for bath or detox baths. They have helped me so much. Even though I try to get a bath everyday, I read that you should limit the detox baths to 3 or 4 a week due to the amount of magnesium that your body absorbs during the bath. You get more with them than a supplement.

Also do a Google search and I have purchase books from Amazon.com on baths.

[ advertisement ]