Epsom Salt baths

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Feb 6, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I've heard that you can take a combination of epsom salts with hydrogen peroxide to help with fibro pain.

Could someone tell me what the ratio's are that you use in a tub?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Shirl, a moderator who's not been on too much lately, gave us this recipe on the other board:

2- cups of Epsom Salts (which is magnesium Sulfate)the magnesium helps heal the muscles, and goes into the pours of the skin.

2- 32 ounce bottles of regular peroxide. Peroxide kills germs, and is very refreshing as well.

In a tub of water as warm as you can handle.

Soak for 20 minutes ONLY.

When you get out of the tub, you will feel weak, so go to bed for at least half an hour afterwards.

Its nice if you have a heating pad to warm the bed before you get in it.

A doctor told me about this years ago, and many times it was the only thing that got me back on my feet.

It will also work for someone that has pulled muscles as well as FM, or just a good detox.

Shalom, Shirl

In other posts she warned that peroxide couuld have an energizing effect... and I can verify it does, altho not enough to have a great day for me, it was just enough to make it hard to sleep at night... so... you might want to use it earlier in the day!

all the best,

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2008]
  3. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

And it makes your skin Sooooo Soft!
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I love these baths when I'm herxing or just feeling yucky. I don't always use the peroxide though because it irritates my lichen schlerosis, but it works great even without peroxide.

One good thing to do is have a large glass of water to drink while in the tub. And be sure to shower the toxins off after the bath.

My doctor wants me to do these 2 to 3 times a week.

Happy soaking!!!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

(PS: does anyone else find peppermint or similar irritating to their skin and the 'sensitive' parts? I do, so have really avoided it)

Here's a remedy for Arthritis or herxheimer detox from a Dr. Russell McMillan:

"Saltz Bath":
    1 Cup sea salt, 1 Cup baking soda, 1 Cup Epsom salts, 1 Cup aloe vera
    He recommended sitting in for about 1.5 hours while drinking warm water. It seems to me to keep it comfortably warm, you'd have to add water every so often... which seems like then you'd maybe have to add a bit more of the 'recipe'.

Don't know if I could sit that long anyway, but would think any reasonable time would be helpful... 20-30 minutes is usually my limit and only if I have an audio book to listen to lolol...

6. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

I don't have anything to add, but want to thank you for the great info.

I put only a cup of Epson Salts in my bath, I will now put 2-3 cups. I didn't know about detoxing.

Thanks so much for the info.

Gentle hugs
  7. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Is wonderful. About a cup of each. My massage therspist put me onto this years back.