Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) levels + elevated CD4 count?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karynwolfe, Oct 24, 2010.

1. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Someone here had suggested I get my Epstein Barr Virus status checked, because my CD4+ count is elevated. Their doctor thought this was enough to try antivirals, which brought the CD4 count back down to normal. (Or maybe it was CD8?) We both had a lymphocyte subset panel which showed this activated immune response.

Does anyone else here have experience with this? High EBV levels that responded well to antivirals?

(And for those familiar with Lyme testing, I do have the bands possible for cross-reaction with EBV--bands 31 & 34--positive on my IgM, which shows current antibodies to current infection... Possibly EBV?)

Somehow i've never thought ot get my EBV titres checked. The only test I ever had done was for mono, at the very onset of the M.E., and that wasn't checking for the virus itself. (AND it was done at the six week mark, the most plausible time to turn up a false negative; I have no idea what virus initiated my illness.)

Thanks for any insight =)
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i have cmv and on the antiviral famvir my lymphocyte subsets which are always elevated came down to close to normal including cd8 etc i did change to valtrex and all these number went up but i think thats because valtrex doesnt have as good of an effect on cmv as it does ebv. cd8 is commonly elevated in ebv and cmv
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

My CD8 is within normal range, though, in the 700s if I recall
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

All i can say is all my lymphocyte were elevated cd4 also being one of them. all u can do is try antivirals and retest lymph sub set in 3 months and see if they go down and how u feel, looks like your doctor is onto something which sounds good.

5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Thanks a bunch =) Hopefully others will have additional insight to add
  6. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Thanks for those prompts, jamin

Similarly, I've always assumed my numbers were neglibible, too. I've taken OLE every day for about six years; I take upwards of 1-1.5 grams per day and ironically i stopped it for 10 days prior to my lymphocyte panel so it wouldn't interfere with the results (too much, at least). I do wonder if its lackthereof was responsible for my the sudden immune activation, i.e., viruses coming back and making my body have to attack back...?

From what I know, 95% of people have had EBV, and like the other herpes viruses, it never goes away; it can only be suppressed by our immune system. In fact, one study done on US military showed healthy non-symptomatic individuals were still shedding the virus every six weeks!

So having had it is nothing: It's the reactivated, symptom-causing form that I'm concerned about. =) But I'll need tests done to show this, if I'm to possibly try out Rx antivirals