Epstien Barr test positive

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Oct 16, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Today mt rheumy(otherwise known as the idiot) told me all my blood work results were negative and all was fine. I had him fax the results to me so I could pass them along to my other "good Dr". In the meantime I went to see my primary today who told me fibromyalgia is a condition of exclusion, i.e. it is given when no other disease can be found. Got home and read my blood test results only to find my EBV capsid AB(IGG) was positive. Normal range is 0.00 - 0.90. Mine was >7.00. I had no idea what it meant untill I did some research and found out it's a test for epstien barr syndrome which I believe is related to Chronic Fatigue. I hope to find out more from good doc tomorrow, but for now, does anyone know anything about this? Am i finally getting somewhere, or is it another dead end.

Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Today mt rheumy(otherwise known as the idiot) told me all my blood work results were negative and all was fine. I had him fax the results to me so I could pass them along to my other "good Dr". In the meantime I went to see my primary today who told me fibromyalgia is a condition of exclusion, i.e. it is given when no other disease can be found. Got home and read my blood test results only to find my EBV capsid AB(IGG) was positive. Normal range is 0.00 - 0.90. Mine was >7.00. I had no idea what it meant untill I did some research and found out it's a test for epstien barr syndrome which I believe is related to Chronic Fatigue. I hope to find out more from good doc tomorrow, but for now, does anyone know anything about this? Am i finally getting somewhere, or is it another dead end.

Maria
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

There's another thread around here somewhere that talks about EBV in more detail. In a nutshell, 99% of us have this in our lifetimes, and some of us don't even know it when we DO have it. In any case, it remains in our system all our lives and on very rare occasion it flares up. We can also pass this on to others. It's nothing serious.

Marilyn :)
  4. LauraA

LauraA New Member

I dont know how a doc could miss that. A positive Epstein-Barr means you have Mononucleosiis (known as Mono).

You are talking about fatigue that will wipe you out. I have had FMS/CFS for 6yrs, but when my primary doc initially took me out of work 2yrs ago it was for mono, I could not get up, i could not function.

At the time i was working for another doctor, i was her nurse, office manager, ran the whole office i was a one-woman-team. (It was a new doc just starting a new practice.) Well i was in the middle of trainging someone else. So I told my PCP i couldnt miss more than 2weeks of work, she initially wanted to take me out of work for a month. I went back to her office over&over for B12 injections she put me on vitamins everything she could to boost my energy. NOTHING HELPED!! After 2weeks off, I was not able to go back, then out for another 2weeks. We did this for 1 1/2 - 2months until I realized that i was still in no conditioon to go back and it wasn't being fair to the doc (or my trainee) i was working for either (because she needed to get someone else in there who knew how to run an office - she still only had my trainee there)

It will get better (not 100% better,for me anyway)but it does take awhile.

Hope this helps.
    Laura
  5. PAT

PAT New Member

It is so frustrating when docs don't even look at your labs. My doc does this all of the time. I just ask up front for copies of my labs (which are ALWAYS reported to me as 'normal') and usually have to call the doc and say, "UH, did you know my such and such is abnormal???" Once, my H&H were SO low she panicked. She had the blood redrawn stat and quicky gave me some prescription iron meds.It's pretty sad. I feel for people who just trust whatever the docs say without a second thought. Patti G