ER its not good

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 3gs, Jun 22, 2010.

1. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi all I posted earlier about mon. from hell. well it just got worse.
    back from er. I rupurted my achilles tendon. surgery 6-8 wks layup

Iam terrified. You all know what surgery etc does to us. plus Im at extra risk because of post polio. Im also scared cuz yesterday I tried to talk about heart stuff going on and he blew me off.

any advice from people having gone thru surgery with ME/fibro
    thanks cant stop crying
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Ohhhh, so sorry, no wonder you are terrified.

A surgeon's protocol calls for an EKG before surgery. Do you have a heart condition that is on record?

If you don't I would insist on having that checked out. That could be a law suit waiting to happen. It's your body and if insurance covers it, then you should have more say so. Actually,even if you don't have insurance.

When are you getting the surgery?

Will you have friends/family nearby for post surgery?

Keep us posted.

Healing thoughts for you.

3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sure we can all sympathise with what you're going through. But, don't cry. You'll be OK. You know going into this what it may do to you - fibro-wise. Knowing that, just try to plan ahead.

First of all - you will most likely have to have an EKG prior to surgery, so even if your doctor wasn't concerned, you'll at least have a baseline to go off of. And, after you've had the EKG, ask someone to read it while you're there......and explain it to you.

I have Fibro. I had surgery on my kidney in April. Unfortunately, there were complications and they had to take me back to the operating room about 45 minutes after I came out. I was bleeding internally, which you will not have to worry about since they're not gonna reach your foot through your abdomen!!

Knowing that I would be "laid up" for a while, I stocked up on books, magazines, etc. My hubby does all the cooking so I didn't have to worry about that. But, if you're the chef in your house, I would suggest making things now that you can microwave or just thaw and eat later. Let y our friends know that you're having surgery so they can baby you! Spend the time surfing the internet for things you're interested in.

Now, about you'll feel. Yup, you'll probably feel worse after the surgery than a non-fibro person would. Worse - meaning more tired. It may take you longer to "bounce back." But, unlike gall bladder surgery, where the doctors usually expect a person to be back to "normal" after 2 weeks, you have already been told that it will take 6-8 to recover.

You will most likely be given crutches to use. Crutches can take a real toll on the body. Check with your local ambulance company BEFORE surgery to see if they have a walker you can use. I had foot surgery last September and I remember what it was like to use crutches. Also, BEFORE your surgery, ask the surgeon to fill out a form for a temporary handicapped sticker, if you don't already have one. We went through our local town hall to get a copy.

I just re-read your post and see that you mentioned that you are post-polio. I guess the recovery period may be a little worse for you due to that. I certainly hope not.

Good luck with everything.

ETA: Oops, I guess gap and I were posting about the same time. I see the EKG was already mentioned![This Message was Edited on 06/22/2010]
  4. roge

roge Member

sorry to hear

can i ask how u ruptured your achilles tendon? have u taken quinalone abx before?

i would be on growth hormone if i had surgery to help heal. not sure if u have me/cfs or fm or both but many with fm have low gh. i know gh is not cheap but even to be on for 6 mths would help with recovery from surgery and just any injury for that matter.

good luck

5. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

I was hoping that you would have better news. I will be praying for everything to go well and that your recovery time will not be as bad as you fear.
  6. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

If you have CFS/CFIDS/ME, go online to They have a surgery
    anesthetic protocol for doctors to follow in our operations.

They say to avoid the sodium channels.

I had curare-type surgery on TMJ, it caused paralysis for 48 hours after,
    and then peripheral neuropathy since, in my feet and ankles. I have an
    emergency bracelet saying "no histamine producers/curare".

Best of luck to you and please do let us know how you're doing...we all
    have so much advice to give here, LOL!

Huggies galore
  7. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just wanted to thank you for the information about the anesthetic protocol. I didn't even know there WAS one. I will certainly check that out and remember it if I ever need surgery again - which I hope will be never!

OK.....back to the thread topic again!