Er....who am I?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wendywoo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. wendywoo

wendywoo New Member

Does anyone get the following problem, and is it typical to CFS sufferers?Coz I'd be interested to know if it's the CFS, or just me!!

I have a problem with taking in what people say when they talk to me. I can see their mouths moving and I hear the words but by the time it reaches my brain, it's all muddled up. It takes me thirty or so seconds to register the question/comment and make a reply. Sometimes it's so bad I have to ask two or three (usually three) times for the person to repeat what they're saying coz I just haven't got it!!

Another thing is knowing a word I want to use, but can't get the word from my "brain archives"!! THAT is frustrating...especially coz I look like a total idiot coz I have to resort to describing the word (giving a sort of dictionary description)!!!!

If it's the CFS I'll breathe a sigh of relief, coz I'm thinking I'm going mad as well!! If it's not the CFS...then maybe I AM going mad!! LOL

Wendy from England
  2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I thought that maybe I was the only one with this problem.

My brain will think of one thing and I cant seem to get the correct words to come out my mouth. I know in my brain what it is I am try to get across, but never can put it into a sentence that will make any sense.

When I am at work and listen to others I only see there mouths move but dont comprehend what they are talking about. And forget it, if they happen to be telling a long story, because my mind will wonder off, and I will be thinking of something else while they are still talking to me.

Some days I can be as sharp as a whip. But other days I dont know how to talk or how to listen. Does that make any sense???

Thanks,
    Cindy
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Sounds just like me. The words elude me constantly. Sometimes when I first look at something I have no idea why/what I am looking at it. I joke that I need a processor upgrade though I really don't think its funny. I am getting ready to retire early from my job because of this illness and these very symptoms (and a whole lot more).
  4. wendywoo

wendywoo New Member

I can't tell you what a relief it is to get these messages!! I've thought I was going barmy for a long time, then thought it was my age (41) and then thought maybe...just maybe, it's the CFS. It's SO good to know I'm not alone!!!

Thanks and BIG hugs!!!
    Wendywoo
    xxxx
  5. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Using words like "that thingy over there" or "that what cha ma call it?"
    I've even gotten so bad as I litterly describe what I'm trying to idenify...like a coat..."the thing you put on your arms when its's cold outside!"
    Or "you know..that stuff that you put in the thingy, with the what cha ma call it? LOL...
    My family starts filling in the words likes it's a sharades game! lol...sounds like? One word? 2 sylabels? ( oh boy who has that thing you look up words in?)
    HUGS
    KathyZ
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

...cognitive dysfunction.

I have it BIG TIME and it is so frustrating. I used to teach and had no problem standing in front of a class and explaining procedures, etc. Now I can't even tell my husband what a movie was about. If I get anxious, I even begin to stutter. That never used to happen.

That is another reason why it is so difficult for some of us to socialize. It is exhausting trying to carry on a conversation with more than one person.

Oh the joys!!

Blessings,
    Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2006]