Essential Thrombocythemia Elevated Blood Platelets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Approximately 7 years ago, after I had been diagnosed with FMS, my body started acting very weird. I was hospitalized because a routine lab report showed that my blood platelets were extremely high. I was diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythemia (elevated blood platelets). My Oncologist was able to lower my platelets with medication.

I also had a procedure called Thoracentisis to drain a Pleural Effusion which is an accumulation of fluid between the layers of the membrane that lines the lungs and chest cavity.

I also had excrutiating chest wall pain and was diagnosed with Costochondritis.

I am curious to know if anyone here has any of these illnesses. Just wondering if these might be in any way connected to FMS or CFIDS.

Thanks,

Lolalee
  2. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Can you please tell me what weird things that your body was doing. I am having symptoms such as feeling faint, and buzzing sensation in feet. My doctor has done standard tests, such as iron etc. & all are normal. I believe that I'm having some problem with my circulation.

I know that there has been a connection to thickened blood in FM (I am FM), however as far as I know, this can only be tested for at a lab called HEMEX, which is in the US,and I don't live in the US.

An Endochrinologist once told me that I had elevated blood platelets, but was unconcerned, and told me that it usually just means that your body is fighting an infection.

I'm interested in hearing more.

Thanks.
    Robyn.
  3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

The weirdness I referred to are the things I mentioned. I not only had the FMS/CFIDS symptoms of sleeplessness, dizzy spells, pain, stiffness especially in the morning, fatigue and weakness, cognitive dysfunction, but I also was hospitalized for the conditions I mentioned.

How high were your blood platelets? Mine were over 1 million.

Hope this helps,

Lolalee
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

5. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I don't know what my blood platelet levels were, as the Endochrinologist that I saw refused to give me coppies of the tests that he did.

I checked the internet for info on the disease that you mentioned. I saw listed symptoms such as easy bruising, and easy bleeding, which are definitely not me.

I have symptoms such as dizziness weakness faintness, and cognitive function.

Anyhow, I'll have a talk to my doctor. I realy feel like I have some kind of circulation problem.

Thanks for the info.
    All the best.
    Robyn.
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Yes, I saw a Hematologist and he agreed with the Oncologist diagnosis of Essential Thrombocythemia. My situation is under control. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this or the Pleural Effusions or Costochondritis.

Lolalee
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

My grandmother had idiopathic thrombocytopenia and had to have her spleen removed, but that was years ago.