Estate Sales Are Sad

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jul 14, 2018.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

My next door neighbor is 93 years old. He's been a widower for a few years but was always able to stay in his home by himself until the last few months. He has had several falls and now is in an assisted living home. His adult children are having an estate sale this weekend and I've been watching people trample all over his yard all day today.

They're dismantling his home, piece by piece. It's hard to watch somones life being carried away in boxes and on the back of pickup trucks. I thought estate sales were only after ones death, guess I was wrong. :( GB
    TigerLilea and hangininthere like this.
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I agree with you.....very sad. I have gone to many of them....some terribly sad. One in particular hit me hard. From all the things in the falling apart dirty house you could piece together the woman's life. I came out wondering how she came to this point in her life, where she had gone wrong, did she marry or not, did she have any children who didn't care for her.

My mom always said she didn't want me to hold a yard sale. I didn't, but then we had to move her into a retirement home so I spent a month....in the hot summer.....cleaning out her mobil home. We had moved her already so she didn't have to see me toss a lot of things, she was a saver though not a hoarder. She would ask about certain pieces of furniture....I told her they were now residing at my home (didn't tell her the garage though) because that would have broken her heart.

I've been slowly selling off things I've collected, don't want my kids to be stuck with getting rid of a lot. I know how hard it was on me.
    gb66 likes this.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about all of my little collectibles and wondering if I should just open an ebay store and start selling them off. I know my kids/grandkids don't want them. They are 'old lady stuff'. lol

I remember when my father died in 1990, we went through all of his belongings and it took about two weeks to clean the house. We lived in another state so we had a realtor handle the house sale and a neighbor took a bunch of stuff and had a yard sale along with her items. She sent me a check for the items she sold for me. Very nice of her.

I guess we all have to go through this at some point. GB
  4. sunflowergirl

I've had an etsy store for 5 years now. Ebay is more expensive although etsy just recently increased their fees but still less than ebay. Check out the prices on ebay and etsy for what you have and want to sell. I do a search then try to sell a little less than what other dealers are asking. Some months are good, others are slow, but in 5 years I've had over 450 sales. At an estate sale they are usually for a 2-3 days period, so selling on etsy gives me time. Still going thru listing things for sale.
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Sun, Thanks for the information. I'll check both of these. Do you charge for shipping? How about return policies. Can you really make a profit doing it this way. I'd love to get some of my $$$ back on some of the collectibles. I have some Swaro. crystal figurines, Fenton and Lenox figurines and vases, lots of Christmas ornaments that are from those companies too. We don't do a big tree anymore. I used to collect dolls and have some Seymour Mann. They aren't making them anymore. GB
  6. sunflowergirl

You figure in the shipping when you list the item. I have to weigh the item (a scale is necessary) and figure out the size of the box. I add an extra $3.50 for handling but this doesn't show. Some dealers I know ask more. It's your choice about return policy. I used to have a little antique business so have a variety from smalls, vintage jewelry, vintage clothes, antique linens and lace, etc. I don't even bother listing anything where there are a lot of the same items for sale UNLESS your price is a lot lower and someone would be tempted. If you have antique dolls, they would probably sell. I don't know what Seymour Mann is.

Having done this for 5 years, I have a lot of followers which takes time. I think the change went into effect where tax has to be charged.....I think....but etsy will figure it all and add it in......I think.

As to profit, since I bought things over 30-40 years ago, yes, I have made a good profit, but it's taken a lot of time. But......I'm doing this so my kids won't have to at the last moment.

Do a search on etsy for what you have to sell and see if this is for you.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Thanks Sun, I'm going to check all of this out. GB