Estrogen Deficiency: Could Use Some Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JP, Mar 2, 2003.

1. JP

JP New Member

Wow! Am I in a spin...got my second set of labs back and my doctors are puzzled. So, I begin my search for answers to no avail. Here is my dilemma; I hope someone can lead toward discovery and possibly help.

My estrogen level is 12 at mid-cycle. So, they tested me twice, yep, 12! I am still as regular as ever. From what I understand, these things do not happen in isolation. It seems that low estrogen = low serotonin = low melatonin = low cortisol and so on. So my family doc drew blood for a hormone panel on Friday. I do not have the results and I am still searching for answers.

I am getting worse and worse and worse...the number of symptoms are over a page long. Right now I have had a headache for the past 3 days and have been too dizzy to function very well. These are two of 30 symptoms. I also have Hashimotos, which is an autoimmune disease of the endocrine system. When the docs found that, they did not check the rest of my endocrine system and I did not think to ask.

I should know all levels in a few days. Please help to direct my search or if you have experienced the same thing. Anyone work with an Endocrinologist??

Thanks so much...Jan
  2. skychomper

skychomper Member

hey, Im not the expert you need on this one.
    but maybe you should ask them to test your progesterone level too-I know it plays an important role in making sure that estrogen doesn't get out of hand and in making more cortisol for your body. alot of hormones are made from progesterone which is kind of like the mother hormone for the other guys. there is a book that has the tile "what your docter may not tell you about menopause" but it actually goes into the balance of hormones in general= what happens, why, also talks about autoimmune disease and the role of hormones. maybe this isn't what your looking for, but maybe it will help. its written by dr. john lee.
    best of luck buddy- skychomper
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My estrogen was also 12,and they said it was early menopause at age 44, which made sense, since my weight all moved up to my waist, my skin got rough, and my cholesterol jumped 75 points higher...all signs of menopause (I could not tell for sure, since I had my uterus taken out in 1979). The endocrinologist put me on HRT, but I wish I had said NO. It helped with my irritable mood, but put a ton of weight on me, all of it on my bust and tummy, which is dangerous for health. I finally went off HRT after they found out it does not help your heart. I am taking the natural hormone Pregnenelone, which your body uses to make all the others if it needs any. You can get it at health food stores, but there is some controversy over what a safe dose is. In fact, I just posted to Sunny to ask her how much she is taking.
    Klutzo
  4. JP

JP New Member

thanks for the help. Were you having a regular period when your estrogen level was 12? This is what has the docs concerned.

thanks again,
    Jan