Estrogen question for the ladies...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goaska29, Aug 15, 2005.

1. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I've been reading up a lot on estrogen and it's effects on PWCs. My estradiol was tested in February and it was conseidered "dramatically low" for someone my age (26) having never been pregnant or had any gynocological problems. I was put on a high dose estrogen birth control pill and have been on it for 3 months. It hasn't really had any effect. I was wondering if any of you ladies out there knew anything about this or had any experiences with having low estradiol levels (without going through menopause).

Thanks,
    GoAskAlice
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

My estrogen is very low and I am 27 years old. They gave me estradiol cream to take but it gave me bad headaches and I had to stop it. I am about to see a new endo and will wait and ask her what she thinks I should do. I don't know why ours is so low when we are so young. It isn't common in someone our age. My progesterone is very low too. And male hormones are high. Are anymore of your hormones off? Take care.
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Hope you don't mind if I call you that. I agree with the above poster. Ya'll are too young to have these kind of numbers, however, FM/CFS does mess with our hormone system.

You could look into having salivia testing done. ( You can do a google search for more information. )They can test just about everything ... estrogen, progesterone, DHEA-s, pregnenolone, testosterone , cortisol, etc..

Also, it was a good suggestion to do a search here for bio-identical hormones and CFS/FM. The FFC center patients have commented on them too.

Good luck .... I hope both of ya'll feel better.

Elsa
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

How low was your estrogen? Mine was <10 last time checked..undetectable. Do you have any symptoms? I have so many that it is hard to tell what is from what problem. Do you have any weight gain? I have gained 30lbs in the past year and am more exhausted than my normal CFS tired. Thought we might compare and see if the estrogen could be causing some of the symptoms. Also my periods are about 40 days or more apart and very very light.

I am going to new doc in a couple of weeks, hopefully she will have some idea.

5. Risk

Risk New Member

After reading your post, I wanted to let you know that there is indeed a great message board for women who are going through menopause early. Either POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) or just plain Early Menopause. There are many women there who are in their 20s. Very knowledgeable, and the woman who runs the board wrote a book on Early Menopause. I was diagnosed at 44 (now 46) but had symptoms as far back as my 30's.

The site is:

Earlymenopause.com

They even have a specific section for younger women. Good luck to you.

Rene
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2005]