even fictional characters get it right

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by katykat24, Nov 14, 2005.

1. katykat24

katykat24 New Member

I was updating a profile on aim, and remembered this quote I'd stuck in there. It's from 'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver, and it is a really good book.

Anyway, one of the characters is crippled on one side of her body, and says this in response to her frustration with it:
    "The arrogance of the able-bodied is staggering. Yes, maybe we'd like to be able to get places quickly, and carry things in both hands, but only because we have to keep up with the rest of you, or get The Verse. We would rather be just like us, and have that be all right."

It seems to somewhat fit the mood around here, so I thought i'd post it.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks Katy...

It's also true for the elderly with their physical problems...

now that my 88 and 95 yo inlaws are living with us, I can really begin to get an appreciation of the physical challenges; it's daunting, and as someone famous said, getting old isn't for cowards.

I remember getting so tired of people asking me what my mother wanted as if she wasn't capable of answering just because she was a bit hard of hearing... was always saying, "Well, just ask her..." or otherwise I was asking her as if I was translating... and these people weren't talking softly, mind you, she could usually hear them.

The normal world just doesn't get it unless they get a taste of what it is like to have limitations.

All the best,
    Victoria
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

It states exactly how we feel.