Even so....

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Cactuslil, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

As one of many who follow, to the best of our ability, the teachings of the Savior, there were times He took to Himself, to pray, ponder and seek answers for what His Father would have Him do....often it is not easy to understand the "why" of situations but the scriptures and prayer help us get past that and once more put on the full armour of God and go forward.
    I also noted someone mentioned the Savior and the degrading of the Temple by the money-changers. It is true that Jesus was righteously indignant at what He saw Happening to His Father's house. I am not sure, but will go to my scriptures for a clarification, but I think it true that Jesus was righteously indignant and did not lose His temper; however I could surely be wrong!! Would not be the first time; and will seek to uncover the truth. Love CactusLil'
  2. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Hi lil',
    In studying the scriptures, this is what I believe about the situation you described.
    Jesus was angry against the sin that was being committed there, which is righteous indignation;
    he was angry with a good cause. I don't believe he lost his temper because when you "lose your temper" you are out of control and Jesus was not out of control because he is God. We need to have our anger controlled by the Holy Spirit so that we don't get out of control with it.
    I hope I am making sense here. Let me know if you have any other insight into it.

I hope you are doing OK. I'm still thinking of you in the loss of your dog. God bless you, lil' and thanks for getting me thinking about these scriptures.

Love,
    Harmony
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I absolutely do agree with you. I also believe that I, me, Cactus, are basically not "qualified" to even engage in righteous indignation much less anger. The situation with the money changers and live offerings ect. was a unique passage as was the passage regarding his staying at the temple as a young man while his earthly parents left for home and upon realizing they had left Jesus, returned, only to be informed he was attending to His Father's business!! So, we know at that age, Jesus had come to the realization of his mission; I don't have my scriptures in front of me right now but I can only imagine the realization his earthly parents were then able to realize...recalling then the circumstances of the birth of the soon to be Savior; and that the time was soon when Jesus would begin his earthly ministry and mission.
    I am still amazed at the love He had for us and how thankful I am for His completion of that for which His Father desired Him to do. Lil'
  4. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

of my discovery.
    Christ was on His way to Calvary. He had been seated on the unbridled colt, the foal of a donkey.
    He was on a mission. And yet we know he was temped in all ways. Just my thoughts here! Can't you see this being a real test as well? Can you imagine being on your way to the appointed cup He really didn't want; but wanted to do the will of the Father; and coming across the heathens defiling His Father's house? Wouldn't this tempt us all to rage in anger? But no, He held fast to:
    Proverbs 28: 1

BUT the Righteous are Bold as a lion.

And None are more Righteous nor more Bold than our Lord. No one knew the rules/laws better than Jesus.
    Harmony, my dear, He came as a mear man, as our example. Had He come as God, we could not have hope to acheive that level to which He says we can, because He did. God does NOT die, Jesus died as a man for us all.
    In His love,
    Jackie F

Jackie F
  5. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Yes, Jackie, I agree, Jesus, God's son, took upon himself the flesh and emotions of man to be our example. He felt everything we feel, hunger, being tired, pain, lonliness, etc. as it says in scripture. The only thing different than us I believe, is he could not sin, although he knows what it is like to be tempted when the devil tried to tempt him.

"Out of control" anger is sin, and righteous indignation anger is anger justified. Yes, Jesus got angry at the moneychangers and the sin they were committing, just as he gets angry and hurt when we sin. If he did not come as a man, he would not have been able to die on the cross for us. He suffered the pain there on the cross for us and took on him the sins of the world.

Love,
    Harmony
  6. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

This is wonderful that we, sisters and brothers in Christ, can share our limited and humble understanding. I have grown by leaps and bounds since coming to the main forum and what I share on this worship forum is not intended to bring any strife or to say anyone's understanding is true or not true; the Savior is always a personal savior. Now...(not finished yet)!

When Jesus was conceived as prophesized by Isaiah, he was conceived by an earthly woman, a virgin, Jewish and of faith, and by God whose light so brilliant required the Holy Ghost to protect Mary at the point of conception.
    As Jesus grew in strength and wisdom, as only a child of the literal God could, he surely began to understand the calling that was coming upon him, as set forth before the dawning of time. This precious free agency we all share, Jesus also shared as Jackie pointed out. The gift that made Jesus the Christ, was his obedience to his calling that he had made before the beginning of time; now the miracle, to me, is that Jesus still had the free agency of a mortal but he had the strength and knowledge he inherited from God.
    He was tested as all men are tested but Jesus prevailed! When asked by John called the Baptist why should the soon to be Savior need to be baptisted, Jesus answered by saying he was to be an example for all mankind!
    The line of scripture that brings me to tears is the joy God the Father must have felt when he spoke from Heaven saying....this day have I begotten thee. Jesus, by his free agency, was magnified by his father, God. He, like all men, had to prove himself worthy; which He did; and in that earth-moving moment as he was left briefly by God, he asked...why has thou forsaken me? That precious moment, frozen in time, that moment when Jesus, the Christ, stood before all, in His own right and purchased us by his sacrifice, became a God himself, to sit at the right hand of God the Father!
    How joyous his victory! Won by his own free agency to honor his Father by obedience to covenants made long ago! The Plan of Salvation came to pass; to those in the spirit world (Peter) and to all mankind (Acts). He did what no other could because He was of mortal and of God.
    Now sisters, I have a nasty temper that I try to subdue; I can be quite zealous which I also try to subdue. I have a generous mote in my eye to which my tongue needs to remember! I can see myself where I have gotten better as Jackie can well attest to! These lessons can be well fought
    but they are worth it for by this we grow.
    Harmony, what a lovely choice of a name; and
    Jackie you are so dear to me as you helped me bridge a very troubled part of my life and I thank you and I continually pray for you. You are a good woman and a person I know to truly love the Savior. I do too. OK. I have preached enough! Love CactusLil'