Evening Sweet Cravings, anyone have these?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dbhughes, Nov 11, 2005.

1. dbhughes

dbhughes New Member

Every evening no matter how much I have had to eat,I want chocolate,A small piece will not do, I eat a lot very fast,
    after about 3 bars it stops, but until then it is like being a drug adict, My husband does the weekly shop, I ask him not to buy any, but if there is not any in the house, I will go down to the corner shop and stock up. Any ideas for me?
    Love Delphine,
    The last time I was this fat I was pregnant!!!
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I must have something sweet then I crave it all night.

I am finding it SO hard to get my cravings under control, I manage sometimes for a few weeks then off I go again.

Biscuits, chocolate, cant get enough. I'm the same, I was this heavy with my second child and that was 5 stone (60lbs) heavier than my normal weight.

I started chromium weeks ago because its supposed to help with sweet cravings but it hasnt helped me yet.

love
    Rosie
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am not even a big sweet eater BUT, once I start on a piece of chocolate I am a goner!

Maybe some of my meds are helping with this?

Sometimes, if I can resist,for a few days, I don't have the cravings as bad. All it takes is one bite and I am out of control!

It will be interesting to see other responses!

Kim
  4. joanng

joanng New Member

Sorry, I can't help with advice but I can relate. I just ate a bag of M&M's, my afternoon ritual. No matter how hard I try, I have to have it. I used Chromium too and it did help at one point, why it's not working now is strange. Hopefully, someone will have some suggestions, in the meantime, I'm going to look for the candy machine.
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... this has been a life long with me .. sweet tooth that is .. so it isn't a big shock .. but a few months ago I was ripping packages open when we got in the car .. I have NEVER done that before .. it is scary how out of control it gets at times .. thank god I don't smoke or drink .. I can't imagine where the heck I would be if that happened ... sigh !
    Glad to know others are out there too though .. it helps ... misery loves company ? LOL
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
    PS .. I know it must be harder on the people that never had a sweet tooth before ..
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2005]
  6. dbhughes

dbhughes New Member

Thanks ,It is good to know that others have this problem I am eating chocolate at the moment,I have gained about 25 pound in a year,I visited my son who lives in San Francisco this time last year (I live in the UK) and in UK measurement, Iwas 8st now I am 10st, Ihave nothing to wear, and tonight Ihave a call from my son, his wife is very ill, I have no money to visit at this time I am so sad this damm FM makes life so difficult Thank God for t
    his site
    love to all of you
    Delphine
  7. kalaya

kalaya New Member

I do not claim to be a doctor or a brilliant nutritional savant but it sounds as though it is possible that you have what is called reactive hypoglycemia.This has to do with to much insulin being excreted,then about 2 hours or so after a meal your blood sugar will drop very low which can and does cause hurculean sugar cravings.
    To bring the blood glucose levels back to normal you will want to eat something sugary to as quickly as possible feel normal again and to drive the cravings away.
    Problem is that this creates a vicious circle and only helps to perpetuate the circumstances.The way to properly aide the glucose levels so they do not crash after the evening meal is to eat protein with every meal and preferably at the end of the meal.
    I would strongly suggest that you go on line and punch in'Reactive Hypoglycemia' and see if the symtoms look familiar to you and then follow the advice to keep it under control. Also chocolate cravings can be the sign of a magnesium deficiency .God bless.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't only have them in the evening, but all day!!

Chocolate. The perfect food.

When my children ask me what I want for Christmas, I am going to tell them a years supply of Milky Way candy bars!!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  9. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I wonder if it has to do with taking the Cymbalta?? I just started taking 60 mg's three months ago.

I see no difference in pain, and I seem to be bloated a lot of the time.

rrsbaby
  10. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I've gone through something simaler. For me, craving sweets at night was a sign that my candida load was high. I had to absolutely gorge myself on sweets & carbs just before bed. If I didn't stuff myself enough, I would be hungry again right away and have to get up and eat more. Sweets are not good for fibro/cfs people, sad yet true.

Now that I am doing the candida diet (a low-carb, whole foods diet with no sweets) my appetite is much more normal. I can finish eating hours before bed. I don't feel like a slave to food anymore. My mood is more stable, my brain is way clearer, and I'm not stressed by sound as I used to be. My sleep is better too. Trying this diet is SO worth it. It looks like a hard one to do, but the results are good, and your tastes in food change in time. Stuff that you used to crave will look pretty gross when you've been eating well for a while.

I can relate to the drug addict feeling. When I started my candida treatment (a homeopathic one plus the diet) I would gorge myself on ANYTHING sweet for the first few weeks, however hard I tried to avoid it. I even ate a jar of 5-year-old sprinkles and sucked the sugar off stale shredded coconut that I found in the freezer. Finally the solution for me was to just get all that sweet stuff out of the house so I couldn't get it. If you choose this diet, be patient with yourself for the first few weeks. You will fall off the horse, but keep getting back on and you will do just fine.
    (((((( )))))) Shannon
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

The candida organism is most active in the evening to bedtime. That's the time that it wakes up, shakes itself, and says, "FEED ME!!!!" It makes sense that cravings are worse at this time of day. It can also be responsible for that jittery energy boost that some people get around this time.
  12. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

i have terrible sweet cravings at night. I dont buy anything like it . Only during the day I may buy a little treat. But I wont keep stuff stocked in the house. I would be the size of a house if I did.
    hugs poodlemum
  13. teacher

teacher New Member

may also be pointing to an iron or vitamin B deficiency.

I was a chocoholic. Before I got too bad, we would take trips to Hershey, PA and come back with a minimum 2 shopping bags of nothing but chocolate! Spent the 3 days there stuffing myself silly.

Was also consuming 3 or 4 12oz bags of peppermints per day.I was getting on my own nerves.

My doc had already told me about hypoglycemia, but the B-Complex wasn't strong enough. It took the edge off but we were puzzled that I wasn't coming around.

He kept looking and found severe anemia! I am now on a rather large dose daily and I'm noticing a difference in my cravings. If I miss a dose,I can tell right away. If I see it, I'll eat it!

So I plug the iron every day and the chocolate leaves me alone! :)

teacher
  14. wickett

wickett New Member

I am the same way....I wonder what has gotten me into this behavior. I like smarties, I pour them in the drawer by my bed. Along w/that snickers w/almonds....I don't do it thru the day. For some reason it is always night.
    You know I try to keep my sense of humor about things, because I think some take life to seriously. Their is a reason for this pain, I think thru it God is working on me to go to grade school and let children read to me. Facilities that need someone to pray, read, comb their hair and love them....I am starting to see this as a spirtual gift....Yep since I got this fibro & cfs their is alot more of me!!
    I wish for and will pray for your relif.
    Wickett
  15. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

OH my i have sweet cravings ever night, i try to stay away from them. but the cravings some times are overwelming. I haven't found anything that helps. i rather have something sweet than a meal. If you find something that helps please share. i know that if i don't but it, i won't eat it. but then i will talk one of my kids into picking something sweet from the store. they enable my cravings. goodluck in finding a solution, i begining to think it is just part of FM.
    becca
  16. MKlady

MKlady New Member

My sweet tooth, cravings, etc., stopped when I started the hormones. I'm on the candida diet now and can honestly say it's not too hard. My temptations are more from habit - reaching into the candy bowl or nibbling while cooking - than from any cravings. I'm amazed!!
  17. codinqueen

codinqueen New Member

Yes, I have always had a sweet tooth (ice cream every night before bed), but since starting Cymbalta I find I am also addicted to Sno-Cones (AKA Hawaiin Ice) in cherry flavor. The cherry flavor syrup for sale in the stores is not sweet enough though, and I find I have to make my own from Kool-Aid type drink mixes (dissolve the envelope in about half-teasoon of very hot water, then add previously simmered to a boil sugar:water in a 1:1 ratio.) If I don't have at least one sno-cone daily by 11:30 AM, I actually get shakey, and rather b*tchey until I can get my fix!! I think a big part of the craving is the Cymbalta. Does anybody know if splenda or another sweet thing would be a good substitute?....because the calories are adding too many pounds.I know all this extra weight isn't helping my health any. If I don't eat ice cream before I go to bed I can't sleep! I am also lactose intolerant so have to take Lact-Aid just so I can eat the ice cream too! Are there any rehab programs for sugar junkies like me???? Any vitamins that would help?? Tried chromium and found no help.