Ever Been Hospitalized?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    Has anyone ever been hospitalized for FM/CFS or any of the associated problems that it brings about.

    On my last visit to the rheumatologist I asked that question and he said that I would never need to be in the hospital for FM/CFS.

    For some reason I do not quite believe it.


  2. shanel06

    shanel06 New Member

    I was hospitalized for 6 weeks when I first got sick with CFS. My main symptom was extreme dizziness and fatigue. So they kept me in until they ruled out anything "contagious". That was 17 or 18 years ago - back when they'd keep people in the hospital for things.

    My stay in the hospital for minor surgery was extended by 3 days because of complications with the CFS. The doctors thought I'd come out of the anesthetic and handle pain meds better than I did. But once they concluded it was "just" CFS, I was discharged fairly quickly.

    Now that my charts note "CFS" though, I can go into the hospital with chest pains, abnormal EKGs and breathing issues and be sent home with a suggestion to rest more :)

    Hospitalized for CFS itself these days ? I don't see it. Not in the current medical climate, and knowing how scarce hospital beds can be around here. Mind you, the hospital is no place to go if you want to be healthy I've determined.

    Shannon L.
  3. carebelle

    carebelle New Member

    I have gone to the Doctor sooooooooo sick thinking "I know hes going to put me in the Hospital".I could hardly walk in to the office.Nope they send me home.

    Then there have been times ,I have been to sick, to go to the doctor.
    I hurt so bad I couldnt get out of bed, and the thought would go thu my head ,"This could be killing me."

    And I just could not deal with another doctor telling me my bloodwork was normal.So I would stay home,thinking if I die this time ,maybe someone will care enough to find out why.Then at least my family would know,I am truely sick.

    I also think once you have been dx with these DD's as soon as a doctor see's that in your chart ,They go into a trance like state.Everything is matter of fact.A routine they dare not stray away from.

    Its like we both know hes sending me home .It Use to be years ago Doctors would take your blood and you'd wait awhile in the office so he could write a prescription or give you further instructions.Or send you to a different Doctor who would look deeper into the problem.

    Now you go to the lab and straight home.You are lucky if you even get a phone call with the results.Makes you think, why bother they never help anyway.

    You would think that if they always go down the same route,ordering the same test,that when they came to the same conclusion ,they would do something different to find different results.

    You come in, they take the same blood work, you tell them all your pains and concerns again(mine do not even touch me for an exam )Then you are sent home .

    No wonder we have depression ,We just keep going into circles.That causes even more fatigue.

  4. KMD90603

    KMD90603 New Member

    I don't think we're hospitalized from the CFS/FM, but maybe because the symptoms can mimic other things. Before I was diagnosed with CFS, I was in the hospital for 3 days for what they thought was heart-related. I had fainted and was blacking out, so I was admitted to the cardiac unit and had every test known to man done. Everything checked out, and I was discharged. Then, a few months later, I had breast reduction surgery. It's supposed to be a 23-hour surgery, meaning you're discharged the next morning. Well, after the surgery my heart started acting up, and I had unexplained tachycardia. So, I was again admitted to the cardiac unit for precautions. Then, a few months after that, I came down with appendicitis and spent two days in the hospital. Most recently, I came down with an very bad virus, which had me running a fever of up to 103 for 5 days straight. I was having extreme heart palpitations, and the doctor wanted me to go to the hospital. I decided to self-treat, because I figured they'd just load me up with fluids and then charge me an arm and a leg for it. So, I loaded myself with fluids and eventually made it through. However, that sent me into a relapse, which is where I currently am.

    Most recently I had an extremely bad migraine which came out of nowhere. I've never had a migraine before, or not that I know of. I was throwing up and could barely stand. Spent a few hours in the ER, had a CT scan and a spinal tap. Again, all was clear.

    So, it seems if we are hospitalized, it is to rule out something more serious.

    Gentle hugs,
  5. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    It seems that the general opinion is what I expected.
    Toward the end of my working years I passed out four times and ended up in ICU twice. Hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, unkown origin, RLS, taycardia, etc.

    I ended up quitting my job, vowing never to return. Like you, when I got to the bottom of what was bothering me I had to find out what I had. After a couple of dud doctors, I finally found a couple who I could work with and actually write 'Fibromyalgia' on the sign out receipt.

    Thanks for the stories. It still seems we are getting the short end of the stick.

  6. bensug

    bensug New Member

    I spent four months in hospital, unable to walk, sit up or speak, and with severe breathing problems. I went through the usual rounds of insensitive, sceptical doctors, and tests which came out clear. Luckily I ended up in a brain injury unit, with a very sympathetic and intelligent doctor....after a month of rehab I was released and am now 80% recoevered. Most doctors are useless....I got lucky...eventually.

[ advertisement ]