Ever experience "foot drag"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gageymama, May 29, 2008.

1. gageymama

gageymama New Member

This is not something that happens all the time for me, it comes then goes away for awhile, maybe even a month or two, then returns. Hard to explain the sensation that comes with it. I have this sensation in both my right leg (the one that drags) and my right arm. Big lack of strength on that side today. Today is just a really bad day. Look forward to everyone's reply.
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I've had foot drop which I think is probably what you're describing ~ an inability to pick up your foot properly when you walk. It causes tripping, etc.

I checked your profile I didn't see any info about you. Foot drop and one sided weakness can be caused by a host of different things. I hope you have had a thorough workup to rule out all causes.

Hope your bad day gets better!

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Please call your doc. This is not a symptom to ignore. Best of luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

I agree, don't let it go. I've had it and had several tests done but nothing shows up. It's frustrating but at least that way you can rule some things out.
  5. simpsons

simpsons Member

HI i saw your post the other day and then this arrived from co cure. Not sure how much help it will be but the full article location can be found at the bottom of this if its any help.

i have seen some other work on this gait problem. i can't remember where tho it may have been in the canadian guidelines byron hyde.

hope this is helpful

Gait characteristics of subjects with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and controls at self-selected and matched velocities.

Journal: J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2008 May 27;5(1):16. [Epub ahead of print]

Authors: Lorna Paul [1], Danny Rafferty [2*], Leslie Wood [3] and William Maclaren [4]

[1] Nursing and Health Care Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
    [2] School of Health & Social Care, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK
    [3] School of Life Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK
    [4] School of Engineering and Computing, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, UK

* Corresponding author

Glasgow Caledonian University,
    Cowcaddens Road,
    G4 0BA,

NLM Citation: PMID: 18505580

BACKGROUND: Gait abnormalities have been reported in individuals with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) however no studies exist to date investigating the kinematics of individuals with CFS in over-ground gait. The aim of this study was to compare the over-ground gait pattern (sagittal kinematics and temporal and spatial) of individuals with CFS and control subjects at their self-selected and at matched velocities.

METHODS: Twelve individuals with CFS and 12 matched controls participated in the study. Each subject walked along a 7.2m walkway three times at each of three velocities: self-selected, relatively slow (0.45 ms-1) and a relatively fast (1.34 ms-1). A motion analysis system was used to investigate the sagittal plane joint kinematics and temporal spatial parameters of gait.

RESULTS: At self-selected velocity there were significant differences between the two groups for all the temporal and spatial parameters measured, including gait velocity (P=0.002). For the kinematic variables the significant differences were related to both ankles during swing and the right ankle during stance. At the relatively slower velocity the kinematic differences were replicated. However, the step distances decreased in the CFS population for the temporal and spatial parameters. When the gait pattern of the individuals with CFS at the relatively fast walking velocity (1.30 +/- 0.24ms-1) was compared to the control subjects at their self-selected velocity (1.32+/- 0.15ms-1) the gait pattern of the two groups was very similar, with the exception of both ankles during swing.

CONCLUSIONS: The self-selected gait velocity and/or pattern of individuals with CFS may be used to monitor the disease process or evaluate therapeutic intervention. These differences may be a reflection of the relatively low self-selected gait velocity of individuals with CFS rather than a manifestation of the condition itself.

[Note: This is an Open Access article The full text
    is available for free in PDF at
    http://www.jneuroengrehab.com/content/pdf/1743-0003-5-16.pdf ]
  6. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I got foot drag a long time ago. Orthotics helped. Years later I have found out that I have joint hypermobility, which means many joints are more 'lax' than normal. I also seem to have a condition called sacroilliac joint disfunction, which seems to be due to the hypermobility.In my case I think that some nerves get crushed a bit in the hip area, causing some leg numbness. Stretching the lower back gives relief.

Strangely, I tend to get tension down one side of my body, at the same time. I have no explanation for this.