Ever felt like you are having a STROKE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swiss, Aug 11, 2005.

1. swiss

swiss New Member

I had a very strange experience this morning. I went to get out of bed and I felt like I could barely move. I could feel my body but it felt so, so heavy. I could hardly talk because I could not move my mouth. I knew everything that was going on around me but my mouth could hardly move in response. It was so weird. I went to the hospital and they did not know what it was- not a stroke or migraine or anything else. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing. I am also wondering if it was sleep paralysis. Any feedback would be great.
    `Michele
  2. mtnfla

mtnfla New Member

What other symptoms were you having? What tests did they run on you and did they recommend you to see anyone for a follow up? Did you have a headache or blurred vision,slurred speach I know,so many questions..

I see a neurologist and also have had the same thing happen to me a few times after I had a TIA and after several tests and examination it was determined that I was having hemiplegic migraines(they mimic a stroke-has alot of the same symptoms).

Told me I needed to wear an medic alert id bracelet stating I have hemiplegic migraines in case of an emergency and I'm unable to speak for myself.

sorry,have 1 more question..Did they ever give you a diganose or tell you what to do if it happens again.Sorry for all the questions..

Hope you are feeling better soon.Take care,Marianne

3. swiss

swiss New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did have blurred vision in one eye (maybe because I could only open one eye). I did not have a headache. I get lots of migraines but they have always involved pain. I asked the doctor about a stroke but he did not think so. I still do not really know. How were you diagnosed with TIA? What tests did you have?
    M
  4. swiss

swiss New Member

They told me to come back to the hospital if it happened again and have not given me a diagnosis.
    Michele
  5. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

It sounds like sleep paralysis to me. People experience lots of strange things while experiencing sleep paralysis; if you google it, I am sure you will find lots of interesting things.

Nicole
  6. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi this same thing happened to me only it was just my left arm. I went to brush some hair out of my eyes when I woke up and my arm went everywhere except where I wanted it.

Needless to say I thought I was having a stroke I'm 57 and I smoke :(( Iknow, I know!!

My arm was like it wasn't attached but it kind of hurt but not all that much. Since I hate going or calling the Dr I let it go for a couple of days, to me it seemed to be getting a little better, after a couple of days it was not going away.

I called her and she pitched a fit, sent me to ER right away, they were waiting for me, I had a brain CT and everything looked fine, my arm stayed weak for about 2wks.

I think I had a TIA but there is no way to prove it I guess, she really doesn't know what it was, but if it happens again I will go to ER right away maybe they can find something if I go sooner. Scary HUH??

take care,

gail
  7. over50

over50 New Member

and sometimes when waking up,my arm is numb.Not from sleeping on it. What is TIA ?
    I hope is isnt anything life threatening for you.
    So many odd things happen with this FM/CFS.
    Take care,
    Linda
  8. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi TIA stands for Transient Ischemic Accident, a small clot usually that escapes. Kind of like a baby stroke, maybe mini one, people have them all the time, most times they aren't noticeable

gail
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2005]